A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Sylvia,

I do hope yu have caught up on your sleep. The sleep depravation was a strong factor when I could no longer cope with Jim at home.

love Judith

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The CPN called today...............................

........I`d got the dates wrong and was not expecting him. We were in the process of getting up.

Dhiren continued to get dressed, I was still in my dressing gown.

Dhiren wondered why Terry was still visiting because he believes he is better now, but even so, he practically hid from him as his self esteem is so low, and he is afraid people will think him stupid. So when he couldn`t find the Bran Flakes, he hovered by the door, out of Terry`s vision but within mine, to ask me.

Terry had read my posts on TP so was aware of the events since his last visit without having to ask. This really helps me as it avoids talking in code.

And he referred to a post from sad nell on this Thread, Post 3280. He was so moved when reading it, he called it to the attention of the medical and social staff present. He applauds the benefit of TP in giving professionals a much deeper insight into living with dementia, deeper than they could possibly gain from their work alone.

So however we might worry about the ethics of disclosing intimate details of those we care for without their consent, [as I have been accused in the past by a family member] we would be doing present and future sufferers a service, if only we could get more professionals interested in TP.

I just wanted you all to know.

But sadly Terry cut short his visit as Dhiren was very uncomfortable that I was still in my dressing gown and he was better now.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
So however we might worry about the ethics of disclosing intimate details of those we care for without their consent, [as I have been accused in the past by a family member] we would be doing present and future sufferers a service, if only we could get more professionals interested in TP.

I completely agree. We know our loved ones best. If what I share here on TP about my mother helps anyone, I feel that something good will have come out of her disease.

Sylvia, I'm so sorry Dhiren is going through such a rough phase. But he did sleep well after have his beer, didn't he? Hey, if it helps to relax him, you can both have a drink together. Just the act itself of sitting and having a relaxing drink may have a soothing effect, not to mention the alcohol. I don't think one beer will be a problem for his diabetes. If yes, perhaps just a small glass.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Paranoia is creeping in...........................

When Dhiren was so upset and afraid a couple of evenings ago, he said he now has a complex as he believes he will say or do the wrong thing and people will think he is stupid.

When Terry came yesterday, he avoided him, for the first time.

He went to bed at 7.45pm this evening, saying I was willing him to go as I would have a better evening without him.

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Oh dear Sylvia, I hope this paranoia will soon leave Dhiren. What a rough ride you are having at the moment.

I leave you with a hug
bighug.gif

My thoughts are with you.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Full Moon....

I've been watching Last night of the Proms and just come back to my laptop..sorry to hear you're having further problems , Sylvia.

Through the window I can see the moon..and if it's not full it almost is...

It was a known fact when I worked on the wards that a full moon seemed to have an effect on certain people..even those not suffering with dementia...

Just a thought...

Hope you manage some sleep.

Love gigi xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Sylvia dear, my lovely mum ould remark at times like this
"some things are sent to try us".

Think you must be on absolute overload by now. Sending love n'hugs.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Sylvia

I am sorry that Dhiren is experiencing some paranoia - as is Alan. The psychogeriatrician that Alan saw said that it could just disappear on its own. Rather than him take medication we have opted to monitor and manage it in the hope that it won't progress. Alan shies away from being in public now, as you know, and it may have something to do with what Dhiren is able to voice.

a full moon seemed to have an effect on certain people..even those not suffering with dementia...
My mother and grandmother (both highly intelligent) believed that the full moon affected mood and behaviour. My grandmother even saved a scientific paper on it from years ago.
If it's true I dread to think what I will turn into during the next couple of nights:D

Thinking of you Sylvia and sending love and a hug

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
My mother and grandmother (both highly intelligent) believed that the full moon affected mood and behaviour. My grandmother even saved a scientific paper on it from years ago.
If it's true I dread to think what I will turn into during the next couple of nights:D

Before the days of psychiatry, everyone believed that. The word lunatic comes from the Latin luna, the moon.

Shakespeare firmly believed this, and A Midsummer Night's Dream is based on the effects of moonlight on the characters.

Shakespeare mentions the Moon more than 170 times. The lunatic, the lover and the poet, he says, are all equally moonstruck. She’s everywhere: Monday, month, menstrual, measure – all take their etymological bearings from her. She affects tides, wolves and lovers

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/poetry/article1839649.ece

And who's to say they're wrong?

Sylvia, I hope you had a good night.:)

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you

Dhiren has always been affected by the moon. I even logged it in our younger days, as his behaviour changed regularly and whenever I checked it was always either a new or a full moon. So yes, perhaps he is even more vulnerable now.

Anyway he slept the clock round and woke feeling fine.

This afternoon we went to the bandstand. It was an excellent concert brass band with a fine repertoire and had a very appreciative audience.

Afterwards we waited for the bus home.

A woman at the bus stop with us was noticeable agitated. Her husband had dementia. He`d left her at the bandstand to go to his social club for a drink. The next thing she knew he was phoning her on her mobile to tell her he`d put two trays of fat in the oven , one for the Yorkshire pudding, but he didn`t know what the other was for.

And she was cross with him. She`d given him strict instructions not to touch anything but he hadn`t listened to her. She had experienced this before when he left the gas on, and he has no sense of smell, having had surgery. She was so worried and upset, having visions of the house being on fire from the burning fat by the time she got home.

And on and on she went becoming more and more distressed. I was limited in what I was able to say, but Dhiren was very understanding, telling her not to worry, her husband was only trying to help and he hoped everything would be all right when she got home.

So no paranoia this afternoon.:)

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Sylvia

I am so glad that you've had a nice day and that Dhiren is feeling o.k. at the moment. I'll always remember you telling me about good days and bad because something struck a cord with me and it helps me all the time. Today is one of your good days (up to now anyway).

It is nice to think of Dhiren helping someone else in distress. I bet she really appreciated that touch of kindness but I wonder if she thought "no one understands how worrying this is"!!

Love and best wishes

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
How nice that the lady was able to share her worries with you both. You must have been very proud of Dhiran's reaction. He was such a gentleman and kind to the lady.

We have to hang on tightly to the good moments - they do help us over the bad ones don't they.

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Last month we lost a shoe box.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showpost.php?p=150167&postcount=9

Now a shoe box isn`t very important and we have found a substitute, but now we have lost a dressing gown. :confused: We have searched every wardrobe and drawer, the hooks on the bedroom and bathroom doors, there is nowhere else to look. Dhiren has lost his dressing gown.

Well I suppose it makes a change from a wallet.

But how do you lose a dressing gown?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well you could lose it in my house because we're very untidy but I think you're much neater than we are. When did you last see it? Have you had a rubbish collection since you saw it? What about the garden?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think the last time he will have worn it would be 11th. this month, when we had a broken night from 12.30am and stayed in different rooms all night.

Dhiren sat up in the living room all night so will have worn his dressing gown then, as he would have been cold. He can turn the fire off but is unable to turn it on.

I don`t recall seeing it since. :confused:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hmmmmm.....

If you find the dressing gown perhaps you'll find the shoe box?

Do you have a cupboard where coats hang?

Could it be in a suitcase...?...or a bag...packed and ready for "the off"...:eek:

Love gigi xx

Status
Not open for further replies.