APPROACHING END WITH MUM : EVERY DAY IS DIFFERENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
@Jezzer Jan so glad you rested up! Please keep on taking it easy. I will talk on my experience with the animal reiki lady in the spiritual thread. Going over there now to update! Monika xxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Back from seeing Mum. Greeted with that gorgeous smile and we even had a brief but lucid little chat. Kept falling in and out of sleep but that's OK. Her appetite seems to be diminishing daily but she is drinking lots. She kept looking at me and smiling. Precious.

While I was there, GP rang me. Blood tests good bar my blood count. Apparently I am "severely anaemic" and he has booked me in on Monday for a blood transfusion at hospital. I'll only be a day patient. He will chase up ecg but it's likely that's the cause of irregular heartbeat and blackouts. He said blood folk will arrange a further appointment. Oh and he advised me not to drive for time being. Whoops! Drove home with Stevie Wonder blasting out "Higher Ground" and me singing along at the top of my voice. I feel wiped out and light-headed but at least I know WHY!!! Yay! We are getting there!. Thanks for listening guys. Love to you all. J xxxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
That is seriously good news @Jezzer. Not that you are anaemic of course but that it is something easily treatable and not a heart problem as you feared. You must be so relieved. Gosh, after a blood transfusion you will be able to climb mountains with your increased energy levels. What a relief for you. Glad your Mum ok today. X
Thanks so much. Why do I still need an ecg though? xxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Ah OK. I would like to know how Ive got this anaemic though. The call caught me off guard a bit but I should have asked him. What a dork I am.... xxxx

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Excellent news @Jezzer . It will be sorted I'm sure. Make sure you ask for the blood donated from a 20 year old! So glad you had a good visit to see your mum today.Thank you all for replying to my posts. I agree totally @Carmar dementia is a forgotten terminal illness and we are left to paddle our own canoes that's for sure. It's scandalous. You always say things that make me feel better @kindred. What a supportive bunch you all are xxxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Back from seeing Mum. Greeted with that gorgeous smile and we even had a brief but lucid little chat. Kept falling in and out of sleep but that's OK. Her appetite seems to be diminishing daily but she is drinking lots. She kept looking at me and smiling. Precious.

While I was there, GP rang me. Blood tests good bar my blood count. Apparently I am "severely anaemic" and he has booked me in on Monday for a blood transfusion at hospital. I'll only be a day patient. He will chase up ecg but it's likely that's the cause of irregular heartbeat and blackouts. He said blood folk will arrange a further appointment. Oh and he advised me not to drive for time being. Whoops! Drove home with Stevie Wonder blasting out "Higher Ground" and me singing along at the top of my voice. I feel wiped out and light-headed but at least I know WHY!!! Yay! We are getting there!. Thanks for listening guys. Love to you all. J xxxxx
This is great news @Jezzer :)
So pleased it seems you will be feeling much better, very soon.
As another poster says, make sure if you can, that you get the blood of a fit 20 year old!! Lol, I can hardly remember what it felt like to be fit or twenty!:D
Glad you had a peaceful visit with your mum, too.
Sleep well again tonight
Lindy xx

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Ah OK. I would like to know how Ive got this anaemic though. The call caught me off guard a bit but I should have asked him. What a dork I am.... xxxx

@Jezzer Don't want to alarm you in any way but for them to give you a blood transfusion you must take it seriously. I was anaemic once but not severely, so they gave me some iron tablets and I had three weeks off work with my feet up. My anaemia was due to prolonged and heavy periods just before the menopause. There must be an underlying cause, quite often it is the problem I had or possibly an ulcer. Slow bleeding over a long time can go unnoticed because we tend to cope with it until it reaches a point where it will affect a person.

When I was anaemic I could hear my heart beating all the time especially when trying to sleep. It is the lack of oxygenated haemaglobin in the blood making your heart work harder.

You are probably very stressed from recent events which has given you the the adrenaline to keep going but at the same time the stress may have contributed to the anaemia.

You are not a dork but it is important that you take it easy over the next few days. I know it is hard but try to put your feet up a bit and don't do to much. I am sure that they will fully investigate the anaemia and you must make sure that they do.

Hugs and strength to you.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
@Jezzer Don't want to alarm you in any way but for them to give you a blood transfusion you must take it seriously. I was anaemic once but not severely, so they gave me some iron tablets and I had three weeks off work with my feet up. My anaemia was due to prolonged and heavy periods just before the menopause. There must be an underlying cause, quite often it is the problem I had or possibly an ulcer. Slow bleeding over a long time can go unnoticed because we tend to cope with it until it reaches a point where it will affect a person.

When I was anaemic I could hear my heart beating all the time especially when trying to sleep. It is the lack of oxygenated haemaglobin in the blood making your heart work harder.

You are probably very stressed from recent events which has given you the the adrenaline to keep going but at the same time the stress may have contributed to the anaemia.

You are not a dork but it is important that you take it easy over the next few days. I know it is hard but try to put your feet up a bit and don't do to much. I am sure that they will fully investigate the anaemia and you must make sure that they do.

Hugs and strength to you.
Thank you so very much for your lovely reply. Now I'm on the radar I think they will watch me. My diet is appalling so I need to have an overhaul there and find out what has brought me so low. I will rest up as much as I can. Thank you again xxxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hi All
Friend very kindly drove me to see mum today and picked me up a couple of hours or so later. Mum had eyes closed when I arrived but was calling out her name repeatedly and "please help ** (her name). Gave her a kiss and said hello mum and she replied "Hello Love". Music to my ears. I told her I loved her as I always do and she replied "And I love you". Lovely. Looking at her charts she is barely eating and I couldn't even tempt her with her favourite fish and chips, nor dessert. Again, taking lots of juice and her morning coffee. She said "Jan can you help me?"and I asked what she needed. "Want to go to bed". I said OK, I'll get that sorted for you". Then back to sleep looking relaxed again. Had my usual banter with the staff before my very kind friend picked me up. So, that's all folks but I felt as OK as we possiblyy be when I left, just that sadness. This is how things stand for now. Love and kind thoughts to you all xxxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi All
Friend very kindly drove me to see mum today and picked me up a couple of hours or so later. Mum had eyes closed when I arrived but was calling out her name repeatedly and "please help ** (her name). Gave her a kiss and said hello mum and she replied "Hello Love". Music to my ears. I told her I loved her as I always do and she replied "And I love you". Lovely. Looking at her charts she is barely eating and I couldn't even tempt her with her favourite fish and chips, nor dessert. Again, taking lots of juice and her morning coffee. She said "Jan can you help me?"and I asked what she needed. "Want to go to bed". I said OK, I'll get that sorted for you". Then back to sleep looking relaxed again. Had my usual banter with the staff before my very kind friend picked me up. So, that's all folks but I felt as OK as we possiblyy be when I left, just that sadness. This is how things stand for now. Love and kind thoughts to you all xxxx
Hi Jan, glad your friend was able to take you - I was wondering how you would manage without driving.
Sorry to hear that your mum was calling out, but excellent news that she responded so well to your presence. Lovely that you are able to help her to relax and feel comforted x
Hope you are feeling okay today - I bet you won't know yourself after that blood transfusion :)
Take care
Love
Lindy xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Hi Jan, glad your friend was able to take you - I was wondering how you would manage without driving.
Sorry to hear that your mum was calling out, but excellent news that she responded so well to your presence. Lovely that you are able to help her to relax and feel comforted x
Hope you are feeling okay today - I bet you won't know yourself after that blood transfusion :)
Take care
Love
Lindy xx
Thanks Lindy - I will be running around like a mad woman on Tues!!! The Home wont know what's hit 'em!!!! Love J :confused: xxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi All
Sweetheart, what a beautiful, poignant time. That conversation you had. Oh my dear, with you all the way darling. Geraldinexxx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
What a lovely, bittersweet visit @Jezzer. Lovely for the recognition and the love but always that underlying sorrow. Have just got back from visiting my own Mum. Hope you are resting up and eating a good thick steak or something similar to up your iron content. I am vegetarian so meat would not be an option for me so would choose iron rich beetroot myself (always a choice if you can't manage the red meat!). x
Thank You @Carmar. Just home from visiting mum. Sadly no recognition or chat today and all food has been refused. Drinks continue to be wanted. Oh, I feel very low now even though I know this is to be expected. The only positive was mum showed no distress nor signs of experiencing pain.. Strange atmosphere at the Home today. I think the changes the new Manger is putting in place have not been well received.
Though not "officially" nor intentionally a veggie, I am 95% one I think. I have just gradually wanted to eat meat less and less and If I were to be told I could never eat meat again, it would not concern me in the slightest. With Love to all xxx

ps not sure what I've touched to change the margins!​

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank You @Carmar. Just home from visiting mum. Sadly no recognition or chat today and all food has been refused. Drinks continue to be wanted. Oh, I feel very low now even though I know this is to be expected. The only positive was mum showed no distress nor signs of experiencing pain.. Strange atmosphere at the Home today. I think the changes the new Manger is putting in place have not been well received.
Though not "officially" nor intentionally a veggie, I am 95% one I think. I have just gradually wanted to eat meat less and less and If I were to be told I could never eat meat again, it would not concern me in the slightest. With Love to all xxx

Oh my darling one, never mind the margins. isn't it strange how one visit varies from another and how a wondrous one is followed by a non-recognition one. I am so sorry you feel low. And yes, we certainly can and do pick up on atmospheres in the home. All love, please rest sweetheart. Geraldinexxx

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent

Re veggie, a couple of years ago I got very low, totally couldn’t eat meat, but gently moved to eating veggies noodles, up to with shrimp, moved onto other fish and eventually reached bacon. There is still meat I can’t even look at, but I can eat curry and Asian, I guess as long as it doesn’t look like meat I’ll it.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I’m sorry your visit was not as good today @Jezzer. I think when there are good days, good visits, rightly or wrongly it raises our expectations and we can think for a little while that everything is o.k with them again, we can cope with this. Then a not so good visit and that reminder is back again of the reality of their illness and the situation. So sorry you feel so low sweetie.. It can not be helping that you are so anaemic because one of the symptoms of that can be depression (regardless of the life situation) and it may be effecting your mood on a physical level and making it harder. Sending a cyber hug xx
Thank you Carmer. I am struggling a bit physically. I need that blood!! With Love xx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
Re veggie, a couple of years ago I got very low, totally couldn’t eat meat, but gently moved to eating veggies noodles, up to with shrimp, moved onto other fish and eventually reached bacon. There is still meat I can’t even look at, but I can eat curry and Asian, I guess as long as it doesn’t look like meat I’ll it.
Ah thanks very much for that @DeMartin. I do need to find other foods high in protein. In fact I must conduct a serious overhaul of my diet! Many Thanks x

Status
Not open for further replies.