Image of the past

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
This morning as usual i was lying awake and enjoying the benefit of a good night sleep and suddenly 'received' the oddest day dream of my departed mother in the kitchen saying "it was all a bit of a mess". In the Kitchen it looked like she had tried to poach an egg ( one of her favourites) . Nothing had happened of course but the image was of a poached egg on the cooker with one of her pans (unused).

Thinking about it now, i can hardly remember what was said and even the image of her cooker (always disconnected) fades. What i am still left with is this odd sensation inside me. This fading and indistinct image is irresistible to me and i do not know what to think apart from this growing sense of sadness,regret and uness that is growing inside me.

The dream was fictional, it never happened but seems to be a mixture of things that may have happened , assembled in my dreamy head to make a short fictional story.

Does this kind of thing happen to any of you and do you feel the need to do anything to calm yourself and make them go away. Or do you just feel sad, have a little cry and find a good way to remember the past ?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Half-awake dreams of loved ones departed seem the most vivid of all. I've not had one for a long while but I tend to mull them over throughout the day and then, next day, they're forgotten.

It's always a melancholy day.

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
when my hubby passed away at first ,I would wake up in the night and was sure he was laying beside me,I wasnt even dreaming about any thing. but it was so real,I could see him there just like he used to be,and for quite a while after I would put out my hand to hold his like we used to when we went to bed,and i,m sure I could feel his hand in mine, but as time has gone on I no longer get these feelings, perhaps its our mind helping us deal with our loss.Yes when you get these feeling a good cry nearly always comes after

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Half-awake dreams of loved ones departed seem the most vivid of all. I've not had one for a long while but I tend to mull them over throughout the day and then, next day, they're forgotten.

It's always a melancholy day.
It certainly is that. I had to look the word up you know. When my mum was still alive i had a dream that she was an old lady sleeping in a downstairs room and as a child i went to see her asn she told me the "the best thing of all is that there was nothing to worry about..." . It took me a long long time before i even had some understanding of it. But now i think she was trying to tell me not to worry about my future.
This time though it was a fake story with true elements. Our cooker was disconnected early on for safety. The pan was one of her favorites for boiling but not poaching eggs. Its like a story put together to tell me something about my life. I may just see if i get any idea of forget about it in the near future.

I got myself a nice little trifle and 4 little bottles of leffe to have with my shephards pie to chear myself up for tea. It will probably be a melancholy w/e ... thx

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
when my hubby passed away at first ,I would wake up in the night and was sure he was laying beside me,I wasnt even dreaming about any thing. but it was so real,I could see him there just like he used to be,and for quite a while after I would put out my hand to hold his like we used to when we went to bed,and i,m sure I could feel his hand in mine, but as time has gone on I no longer get these feelings, perhaps its our mind helping us deal with our loss.Yes when you get these feeling a good cry nearly always comes after
Reminds me of a dream i had of my dad..... your right ... a good cry did com after it and still persists. It feels worse because of the many periods of tiredness i feel despite underneath feeling energetic.

WillSamson

Nov 2, 2023
If we talk about the past, sometimes it is very painful to do so because of what happened in that past. Although I'm not that old, I've felt a real emptiness inside more than once because of what I've experienced in the past. The last time I remembered this, also in a dream, was an macaw flying images to the island that I visited with my grandfather when he was still alive, and it really struck me. Because I never remembered those situations when I was with him, so to speak, those bright memories never provoked me to any sad thoughts.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
If we talk about the past, sometimes it is very painful to do so because of what happened in that past. Although I'm not that old, I've felt a real emptiness inside more than once because of what I've experienced in the past. The last time I remembered this, also in a dream, was an macaw flying images to the island that I visited with my grandfather when he was still alive, and it really struck me. Because I never remembered those situations when I was with him, so to speak, those bright memories never provoked me to any sad thoughts.
Hi WillSamson. My moroseness was soon replaced with Melancholy and now it has become more nostalgic. I still have the strangest dreams but they don't worry me as much now. I have just read my original post and cannot even remember it.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
My OH is still alive and unwell - our new normal.
However, a friend of mine died quite unexpectedly about 2 years ago (nothing to do with dementia). We were both friendly with both of them. Friend's widow, whom I helped sorting out the estate, told me that she had the feeling her husband's presence was in their house for quite some while after he died. She never said she saw him, just felt him around, or in the next room, or even in the garden. She thought it was odd, but it comforted her at the time.
She got a bench put up, with a plaque to his memory, in the park facing the tennis courts where we used to play (and I still do). I'm sure I've sort of seen him or an image of him, just once or twice sitting there watching us play!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024