My Father in Law is being Moved

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Can anyone advise me on what to do. My father in law is 93 with mid to late stage Altzhimers who has been assessed as needing a nursing home rather than the care home he has been in for two years. He had become aggressive and the mental health team was concerned he was a danger to others. Since then he has changed he has become very weak very docile stays in a chair day and night only moving when he is taken to the bathroom. He gets very distressed when the staff try to put him to bed but not violent in any way. The care home manager has tried to get the decision to move him reversed but without success I have tried to slow things down I have asked them to reconsider but to no avail. Neither family or care home think he has more than a few weeks or months and surely it would be to cruel to move him and let him die among strangers. He doesn’t know me my husband or his granddaughters. The care home staff are his family now.
Can I ask for a second opinion His GP agrees he his better were he is.
Any advice would be appreciated. I lost my Mother six weeks ago if I lose my father in law in such a cruel way it would be unbearable.
Thanks you.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Can you get in touch with the social services Adult Safeguarding team? I’ve been going through a similar scenario with my husband and so have looked at the DOLs regulations too. Even if a DOL is in place, if circumstances change, it can be lifted. I was advised to fight the decision, and my husband is not moving to the unit that the care home insist on.

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
I found this website useful
https://www.scie.org.uk/mca/dols/at-a-glance
And I found y local number for the Adult Safeguarding team by doing a simp,e internet search. There is no point me giving you the number I have, as I am in Kent..
@Vera's den
I found this website useful
https://www.scie.org.uk/mca/dols/at-a-glance
And I found y local number for the Adult Safeguarding team by doing a simp,e internet search. There is no point me giving you the number I have, as I am in Kent..
@Vera's den
Thank you the Adult safeguarding team passed him on to the mental health team but that was when he was aggressive now he hasn’t the strength to stand up he can hardly lash out at someone. I wish someone could have seen him singing nursery rhymes to his 15 month old great granddaughter yesterday. He didn’t know who these people were but he was happy to play with her while her mother was visiting the home.