So bizarre !

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
:D
Slugsta - glad to hear about Skycat. JM - look forward to updating when you have a mo.

PS - as a Cockerpoo, will she shed or need the grooming parlour? We go to our local agricultural college, where they train students: it's cheaper and frankly, better, than commercial outfits because they're concerned with standards not profit.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, I also have a silly grin on my face having read about Luna and her exploits :) She has clearly been loved and it looks as if she has already settled well into your family. It is great to see the effect that a youngster can have on an oldie - especially if Lurve is also in the mix :)

I'm so glad that you have been able to avoid the trip to London and hope the meeting goes well.

Please look after yourself, the fibro flare is clearly related to all the added stress and work that HBM has caused you :mad:

Sky is stretched out near to me, little pot belly on display and snoring gently. It is only recently that we have seen her stretch out like this, she always used to curl into a tight ball when sleeping. Mind you, with the weight gain from the steroids, her belly might stop her from curling up that tightly now :D

(((hugs))) to all

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

Sky sounds such a sweetie, Slugsta - I'm so glad she seems to be doing so well, bless her x

Red, Luna sheds very little, so grooming parlour for Luna - she actually arrived with a selection of grooming equipment (from electric toothbrush to nail files to a selection of brushes, combs, scissors and an industrial size container of 'Salon shampoo for dogs'! ) and she is really good about being groomed - hops on to my knee for a 10 minute session every morning. We do have an agricultural college, but its about 50 minutes drive away. Still, worth me checking it out - thanks for the tip :)

She has continued to settle in so well that we are quite shocked. We honestly expected her to fret, at least a little - but nope - you would think she has lived here forever! The shyness is fast going - she is standing her ground, when she needs to, with Seamus (who does try it on occasionally) and is actually quite cheeky. She has a trick of 'belly crawling' towards something she wants (like a toy that one of the others is playing with), then grabbing and charging off in a flash, prancing around and wanting to play. She is eating well, sleeping well, clearly adores being one of a pack of dogs, and madly affectionate. Still my shadow - at the moment curled up at my feet as I am typing - and if I leave the room, well, she tends to come too. The only two minor issues - which I think will be easily sorted - is her love of the garden pond (turn your back and she is taking a flying leap into it) and she is a bit of a madam with my bird table, objecting to the birds, so I am working on teaching her not to charge at them. Busta remains totally besotted with her, though not quite as bad as the first day or so, but still - where she goes, he isn't far behind. And - as the shyness is going - she is flirting right back at him! Luna is often lengthened to 'Luna-tic' when she is in a playful mood (a lot of the time) and she is answering to that, too :D

I went to see Mil yesterday morning, and found that the home had not been informed by the HBM of the change of date - now why doesn't that surprise me?. (Actually, they hadn't had notification about it originally being set for yesterday either - I'd given them that info). One of the nurses did a quick check, and guess what? Dr J hadn't been informed either :mad: Thankfully, Dr J can make Fridays meeting - but oops, it looks like we will have trouble remembering to let the HBM know this - well, whats sauce for the goose, and all that. We are meeting a half hour earlier than the schedule - a chance for the staff and I to bring Dr J smack bang up to date. Staff have let me know that the HBM has been a pain in the backside, demanding and rude phone calls for copies of notes, quite verbally unpleasant, and an odd phone call where she questioned how Mil, on the day I found her on the floor, managed to get into that position when she had only been checked less than 15 minutes beforehand. Somebody looking to try and shift the blame, perhaps? One of the nurses - who seems to have had a lot of dealings with HBM - was quite cross. She said that the HBM's attitude to the staff is appalling. That she will repeat the same question over and over, but worded slightly different every time, as though trying to catch them out. That she bullies and intimidates. That she talks down to them. Again - I don't find any of that surprising.

Mil was looking so frail - not having sen her for 6 days, there seemed to be a huge difference to me. Not a clue who I was, and not bothered either. Shouted at me a few times - just yelling 'Nooooo' in my face - but then grabbing my hand. She kept trying to suck on my fingers - I have no idea what that was about at all. She became quite sleepy after about 30 minutes, so I left - loads to do for this last of the 3 Peak climbs, despite yesterday supposedly being a day off, a sudden surge in local interest meant I was having to deal with press and last minute changes to arrangements, so I was short on time all day.

Next week, Betsi Cadwaladr Health Board are asking carers and families of dementia patients to contact them with their experiences of the Health Board - this is down to the health investigator Donna Ockenden's recent report, that JM mentioned. I may be away next week, but there is an email address specifically for this subject - and yep - there will be an email going in.

As I said, the last of the 3 Peak climbs today - Snowdon. And I'm going to have to move myself now to get ready and go pick up my climbers. Hoping that the local press stories will boost the fundraising, several of the bosses are planning to be there, and maybe even local TV or radio - not quite sure yet, despite my best effots, the publicity machines seem only to have jumped in at the very last minute - still, better late than never!

Much love to all, will let you know how the meeting goes on Friday xxxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
If HBM can treat staff like that, she’s not fit for her job. Or, giving her lots of excuses, is there extreme pressure from above? But even with no money, or a little money to go a long way, she has absolutely no excuse to act in the way she has been.
Certainly give your opinion on the dedicated line. Knowing you, yours will carry more weight than anyone else’s!

Hope you have a good climb today.
When OH and I first started going out, he promised to take me to Snowden. He had recently been with a group from work, and loved it. I’ve still never been! Taken over 35 years NOT to go! And I certainly couldn’t walk it now!

Yesterday evening got out of chair awkwardly, in a hurry, and ricked my back. Then stood, barefoot, outside, talking to neighbours. Then came the painkillers, then stronger painkillers. Fortunately a good nights sleep, but now I’m up and moving a little, it’s started again. Not so bad, and I’ve had strong painkillers, and have ditched the things I was going to do, and decided on paperwork! But it needs doing!

Have a good day everybody!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Awww, Luna sounds utterly adorable! :) I am so glad you have her as a counterpoint to the situation with MIL.

The HBM is clearly a conniving bully :mad: I wouldn't put it past her to do exactly what you are planning to - that is, arrive early to get your ducks in a row prior to the meeting. I suspect she will be a little surprised to learn that she has not caught you out!

I hope today's climb goes well. It is a touch cooler here, but I know that is no reflection of the possible conditions at the top of Snowdon!

Spamar, I'm sorry your back is painful :(

I have been to choir this morning, we had a general 'singlaong' (think group karaoke) rather than our usual session, which was good fun :)

(((hugs))) to all.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Spamar - I swear by magnesium flakes (in a bath) or magnesium oil for ricked muscles. I did mine a few weeks back and it definitely eased it. (Think magnesium flakes were the key ingredient of that old folk favourite, Epsom Salts).

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thanks Red. Don’t do baths, ankles don’t bend enough, last time I indulged, I slipped, banged every joint on my left hand side! Stuck to showers ever since, and try not to fall over! Though I now have a duckboard, which at least makes everything feel safer.

It’s slowly getting better with pills and gentle exercise ( walk around the living room!)

Still dry as a bone here. Most of water butts nearly empty, though gardener has been doing some running repairs on them. All we need is the rain!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hi Ann - unsure what time your meeting is but hope it has gone/will go well and the outcome is not only the best for MiL but also that that stupid woman is stopped from her appalling behaviour.

Hoping you can leave the meeting fairly satisfied with outcome and look forward to (and enjoy) your much needed holiday.

Take care xx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've been thinking of you today Ann. I'd hoped to get on here and post this morning, but had to pick up son's school report (he is in Germany with school) then take daughter for an 8.30am blood test and various other things before went out at 9.30

I also hope your snowdon trip went well and that there was no rain about, some of my cycling friends saw showers when they were in North Wales on Wednesday.

Luna is adorable, good luck with keeping her out of the pond. Is she part Spaniel? and don't all spaniels love water? Lots of times I've been walking the dog and watching owners trying to cajole spaniels out of water :D:eek:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone - and thank you.

Just back from meeting - and guess what? HMB was a no show. She had phoned in sick and sent one of her underlings instead. I must try and curb my nasty suspicious mind, because my initial response was 'Coward' !

The underling showed up nearly 40 minutes early - his first stop was to see Mil - and from your mouth to Gods ear, Red - it might not have been HBM - but Mil reached out, grabbed his arm, and gouged him . (I gave her a high 5 for that one :D )

We left him sitting in the waiting room whilst Nurse L, Dr J and self took ourselves to the office for our little pre-meet. Dr J was appalled by what had happened, about the hours being reduced, literally just a few days after we had all met and she and SW had made it very plain that the 1-1 was essential.

Dr J flayed him. No other word for it. She told him that for some 'person' to come in and remove what she , as a consultant, and the SW had identified as essential care was extremely 'cavalier' and stupid, and she wished to make it very plain that if a decision like that was made again, without consultation with herself and other expert opinion, that the person or persons who do that deserve to lose their jobs. She was steaming - but boy, was she cold too. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of her. The guy visably wilted. He stuttered and stammered that he didn't make that decision, that he couldn't comment, etc, etc.

Then I waded in.

I asked was it 'policy' for someone to just come in and remove care with less than 24 hours notice. He said it wasn't what he would do. I said I didn't ask what he would do - I was asking was it policy and considered to be acceptable practice?. Then he eventually admitted that yes they could - though that decision would later have to go before 'panal' - probably a week later, to be sanctioned! He added that 1-1 care was reviewed every 4 weeks - but then he changed it to actually, 1-1 has to be reviewed weekly. They 'had' to do that, he said, they have 'no choice' (more buck passing?) . I said I had found no reference to that in the National framework and asked was it a National directive?. Actually, I had to ask twice because he blumphed and blustered initially, before he confirmed that no, that was something that the Health board for this area had introduced (I wonder if the Minister knows about that?).

So, Dr J chipped in and said she would advise - very strongly - that they consider having her attend these reviews, because if Mils care was changed without her being informed and given that she (as the expert) is saying it must not be, then it would be very 'foolish' of anyone to try it (I could have kissed her!). He insisted that whoever carried out the review would 'listen' to expert opinion, and to what the staff and nurses at the CH had to say. I pointed out that the HBM hadn't done that, and that I had no reason to believe that anyone else from CHC would either. I got a rather weak 'I understand' in response.

He then said he had 'no intention' of changing the 1-1 at this point. I said sorry, but I didn't trust him, or the HBM any further than I could throw them. That the HBM had already proved herself to be completely unconcerned about putting a vulnerable person at risk. And that I didn't have words to express how disgusted I was at her and the Health Board, not only because of this latest incident, but because they had consistently let Mil down. I brought up the TD being caused by HB employees over-prescribing medication, despite us repeatedly raising concerns, said that I had let that go - so far - but that this was my limit. If they ever, ever behave like that again, and put her at risk, I would be sharing photographs, videos and the facts with anyone who would listen, press, TV the lot. I also told him that I will be making a formal complaint about the HBM, and notifying the minister of how disatisfied I was with this 'threat' of weekly reviews that could see the care removed with less than 24 hours notice. I also showed him one of the video's I have. To be fair, it made him cringe and wince - a fairly human response for a change, because it is distressing to see. But I wanted to be sure that they realised just what I can and will put into the public domain if they put Mil at risk ever again.

So - I have his assurances that the 1-1 will remain, despite the weekly review, unless all the experts involved indicate that it is safe to stop it. I 100% don't believe this - his lips were moving so I was pretty sure he was lying. I suspect we will get a calm few weeks before they pull another stunt. At which point they will only have themselves to blame because I will do exactly what I have said I will do. Straight to the press and publicity, with no further warnings. There wont even have to be an incident - if they go against the opinion of Dr J, SW and CH staff, I am not waiting for an incident - I'll act straight away.

I also asked for a copy of the DST paperwork from all reviews. He fumbled about that one too, saying he would have to check if it was allowed. So I mentioned FOI - and nurse L chipped in with saying that as I was present, and had been asked to sign the paperwork, then surely I was entitled to a copy? He asked (as though surprised and as if he didn't know) if I was there at the original CHC meeting and when I said yes, told me he would send a copy to OH - who wasn't there (!) .

So - can't call this an end to the matter, still have to be on pins waiting for their next little bit of nastiness. I would like to think that nobody could actually be so stupid to go against the formidable Dr J, let alone risk me letting loose with the evidence of all that's happened - but stupidity seems to be a requirement of being a CHC employee, along with a degree of callousness that beggars belief.

When it was all over, I went to see Mil, and the nurse followed a few minutes later. She felt that between Dr J and myself, we had been exceptionally clear about the risks and the outcomes if they pulled any more stunts with Mils care - not that she felt it would stop the HBM trying, any more than I think it will. But she did say that if they did play up, with everything that has been said to them, that they would be leaving themselves wide open to serious repercussions. I'd rather it didn't come to that - but the ball is in their court now.

Mil was showing TD symptoms, in her jaw and legs - quite fiesty, but fine with me - and believe it or not, she actually got my name right! She had - it seemed - been a handful all day. And had been awake from 8, for the 4th day in a row, causing chaos and being aggressive. Her 1-1 doesn't kick in till 10 a.m. The staff are documenting everything - I wonder what the HBM's response will be when they ask for the 1-1 to be extended, for it to start at 8a.m. because several of them told me that she really needs it!

Am totally shattered. The Snowdon climb was successful, don't have the words to say how proud I am of my climbing crew, they were amazing - but such a long day, as stuff had to be done for publicity, once the climb was over. I left the house at 5.45am that morning, and got home at 11.50pm. In a lot of pain from the driving, and unable to sleep. I did only the essentials yesterday morning, then shut everything down and slept for about 4 hours. Laptop and phone are now locked away in my office, and won't be touched until my AL ends.

Luna continues to fit right in - she's a cockapoo, JM - part spaniel, part poodle :) Seamus and she play for hours - and she is in the pond every darn chance she gets. 3 times yesterday - flying leap in, lies down, wags her tail, looks very pleased with herself! Once I manage to stop laughing at her when she does it, I will start to work out how to train her not to - if I can!

Ireland on Monday, and I can't wait. I am so tired and sore at the moment. A week with my lovely sister and her gang, plus the great company over there is just what the doctor ordered :D I will check in again before I go though xxxxx

Thank you again, everyone and lots of love to you all xxxxx

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Thanks for taking the time to report back when I know you are cream crackered. In some ways it may have been easier that the HMB wasn't there but oh, what a coward.

So good to hear evidence that Dr J is really good. She no doubt wouldn't be allowed to tell you but I think it likely she will have words with those in authority over HBM.

Hope the aches and tiredness ease and you have the most fabulous holiday - looking forward to your photos already.

You know my surname, keep your eyes peeled for any rich relatives or unclaimed legacies there might be for me over there (grandfather was Michael - from County Cork so know they are both uncommon names, hehe)!

Take good care of yourself xx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, thanks for the update.

To a degree (a very small degree) I feel sorry for the underling who was clearly sent along because HBM didn't want to face you. He probably had no idea what he was walking into!

Dr J sounds absolutely wonderful. It is high time MIL got a consultant who is prepared to work out what is best for her and fight to get it. Between her and you, I really don't believe MIL could have anyone better on her side.

Well done to you young climbers :)

Poodles were also bed as water dogs, so you probably don't stand much chance of keeping Luna out of ponds . . .

I hope you have a wonderful time in Ireland, it is well deserved (((hugs))).