Hi my mum just been diagnosised with dementia

Mellow01

Jul 15, 2018
Hi my mum who has just been diagnosed with dementia but this last week she been saying that her mum and dad r coming to pick her up and take her to see my dad all of them have pass away is this normal .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Mellow01. Welcome to Talking Point. I`m glad you have found us.

It is perfectly usual for many people with dementia to live in the past and talk about family and friends long gone.

Just go along with it. Try not to correct your mum or tell her those people have died. Just talk with her and distract or make excuses eg. we could go tomorrow, the traffic is bad today, you feel a bit rough and don`t fancy travelling. Whatever is suitable for your mum should calm her.

If you go to this link, you might be able to find local support

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk

Sometimes there are groups for people with dementia and their carers.

There is also a factsheet to help understand dementia

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ing_and_supporting_a_person_with_dementia.pdf

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, Im afraid that this distressing symptom is very normal.
People with dementia often live in a previous time period and think that people who have died are still alive.
I would guess that your mum is living in a time period when she was a child when she says that. BTW, the time period that they are living in often constantly shifts - even within a space of a few minutes, which can be very confusing foe every one.

Dont try to correct her. If you tell her that her parents have died she will probably be very distressed. You cant bring her back to your world, you have to talk to her as if what she thinks is the truth. I used to make non-committal noises like "thats nice", or tell her that her dad was at work when she wanted to go and see him.

Mellow01

Jul 15, 2018
Kk thanks for advice also been told to think about getting a DNR on my mum but no one has said why

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Kk thanks for advice also been told to think about getting a DNR on my mum but no one has said why
You don't say who told you this, however, it's a matter for your mum to discuss and decide what she would like for her care in the future. This link will take you to an AS publication which covers advance planning in all areas http://alzheimerweb.prod.acquia-sit...actsheets/living-with-dementia-planning-ahead

It is a good idea to try to get all affairs in order before a person loses capacity to decide for themselves as it makes things easier in the future.

cathsheff

Aug 3, 2014
I wonder if what they're thinking of is a Power of Attorney for Health & Wellbeing? If you haven't already set this up, it's as well to do it asap whilst your mum still has capacity to sign it then when you get to the point when she no longer has capacity it means you can make decisions about what's in her best interests eg going into a care home (and I think the form includes something about DNR).

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Yes, all normal. My mum woke up this morning and said to me, "Is my mum downstairs baking cakes?" Her mum died 35 years ago(!) but I just said, "Not today," and she was fine about it :)