Want to install hoist bracket in the car - insurers don't want to know - help!

Lankymad

May 31, 2018
Had a quote for installing a support bar in my car so that I can attach a removable hoist to allow mum access to the passenger's seat.
Thought that by informing the insurance company that I might make this small modification they might say "thanks" and add, at worst, a few more quid to the premium.
However the company has rejected my request completely and has advised me to look elsewhere; so I would have to pay them a substantial cancellation fee if I found another insurer.
Has anyone who has adapted their car for the person they care for had any experience like this? Could my insurers be - somehow - breaking a disability law??
Thanks!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi. My dad had a hoist fitted to his car some years ago and I don't recall him having an issue with insurance - but he may not have told them about it. I can't ask him now as he's deep in dementia.

I do wonder if you may be able to argue that it is disability discrimination. Maybe a company which deals in disability transport could tell you more?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
The small print on my insurance document does state that any modifications must be reported to insurance company, but there seems to be nothing in print about refusal to accept only that it will affect premium charged. Might be a good idea to go higher in the insurance company and discuss further.

Lankymad

May 31, 2018
The small print on my insurance document does state that any modifications must be reported to insurance company, but there seems to be nothing in print about refusal to accept only that it will affect premium charged. Might be a good idea to go higher in the insurance company and discuss further.
Yes, I feel the telephone reply was treating the installation as a "modification" rather than an "adaptation" and it isn't on their check-list (or something).
Indeed I have now e-mailed consumer service and it's been aknowledged with a reference number but not replied to as yet.
If I get nowhere with that then I have the name of the CEO and I'll write a full ordinary letter directly to him.
Could simply be a case of one person mis-intreprating a request - but they really should be trained to know that occasionally adaptations have to be made for the disabled and that those adaptations may modify the car bodywork (even if internal).
If they still refuse to insure me - I wonder if I have a case under the disability discrimination act?
If I have to leave them and are financially penalised then I will be writing to a newspaper that has consumer issues.
Thanks!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951