Carers and Patients rights

SELF HELP

Apr 27, 2018
My partner and I have been caring for my mother who has Alzheimer’s mixed dementia for 3 years
We are at a point where we can no longer care for her because of her hatred of my partner and her behaviour towards us and anyone who has a connection with her we have carers in 4 mornings a week and she also goes to day care 4 days a week the carers like us are starting to struggle with her behaviour we have had a mental capacity assesment less than a year ago and the social worker felt she was fine in her own home despite the fact she answers the door and has let strangers in the house we both work full time with our own businesses she refuses to go for rest bite and expects us to be looking after her 24/7 and would not even consider residential care 3 years ago my mother was living like a hermit and she would be dead or in a home by now without our care we have been through 3 care agency’s and we now use what is considered to be the best available in the area but in general the staff are very caring but unable to follow through with mothers care plan we do all meals and leave them a list of what needs doing but we have on numerous occasions come home to find down stairs windows left open when they have taken her to day care we notified the care agency that we were installing security cameras in my mothers room so that we can watch over her in the hours she is at home alone and there is a sign on the front of the house advising about security cams these cameras had also been suggested by my mothers insurance company otherwise we would not have been covered if a carer left windows open but now after 6 months the care agency have reported us to social services and social services want another mental assesment as they say the cameras are not in mothers best interest mother is self funding and social services have done little to support her or us in the past we had to wait over a year to get a case worker who has now left .
My partner is about to leave as she can no longer take the mental abuse from my mother I understand how she feels but unable to find a workable solution for us all it’s so sad because my mother could have such a good end of life if she would just accept the changes she is hurting herself and all those trying to care for her my mother is 92 and we are in our early sixties aproaching retirement age ourselves Help......

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, @SELF HELP, I have just been reading your original post to get a bit more back ground. I think, as someone said before, that because you live with your mother, she is regarded as quite low priority as far as Social Services are concerned. In our case, I did get a phone call from them quite quickly when my GP referred me, but as soon as they found out we were self funding, I was pretty well left to sort things myself. You say you have had advice from a solicitor...was this with regards to your own housing situation? I don’t really know enough about this, but I think I have read somewhere on the forum that if you are over 60 you have the right to remain in a house owned by the person with dementia, if they move into a care home. I think, though, this might be referring to people who have lived for a long time with the person. I’m not sure of the position, if you have sold another home to move in. I realise this is all academic, if your mother is refusing to move, but I wonder if it all hinges on whether you are willing, or more pertinently NOT willing to provide care for her.
Because you do all live together, this is a case where you really need some expert advice. Have you tried calling the help line? It is open today.
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

SELF HELP

Apr 27, 2018
Thanks for all your response we now have an appointment in the coming week for a mental capacity assesment and review of my mothers care so hopefully very soon we may be some way to at least finding a short term solution for my mothers care and it will prompt social services to offer us guidance.
As we are self funding I do not expect social services to be particularly doing anything but I do expect them to be looking after my Mothers best interests not pushing all the responsibility on to an individual.
Last time it took a year to get a case worker so perhaps our care agency have actually done us a favour by complaining about my mothers care arrangements here at home.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa