Are we all early Birds??

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
8547087ba6c853e2700fee7d827166ba.jpg
Oh I love this !!! Me too canary, me too....
I’m not an early bird at all, have always been a night owl and am rarely asleep before 2.30am. As I wake about 4 hours later I am always exhausted. I try to stay in bed until 8 but that’s a non- starter on the days I’m looking after my 17-month old grandson!
I think my poor sleep dates back to childhood - I was always reading a book under the covers after I should have been asleep. Then there were student days, children, OH snoring :rolleyes: etc. In my fifties I did a teaching qualification on top of full time work, and was often to be found marking papers in the middle of the night. Then mum’s dementia hit and I’ve never been able to sleep properly since....
I have to admit it worries me a bit. Isn’t lack of sleep a risk factor for dementia???

member74974

Jun 30, 2018
Have woken early for years. Nothing to do with OH. Discipline myself not to look at anything or listen to podcasts before 5.00.

member74974

Jun 30, 2018
Oh lucky you, I miss our Labrador so much but can’t think of getting another now.
Worry something could happen to our dog and we wouldn’t be able to get another. (One of the first signs something was wrong with OH was a dreadful accident with last dog. Can’t talk about it.). No use worrying what might happen, I know, it’s so often not what you worry about but something totally unexpected that happens.)

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
It’s 5am for me. A cup of coffee and TP sets me up for the day. It’s the time I enjoy on my own when all is quiet and OH is still in the land of nod. I have two precious hours of peace.

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
I aim for 5am, so I get an hour or two to myself, but for the last 2 weeks since they upped moms dosage it's been anything between 3.30am and 5am, my possable 2 hours to myself have suddenly dissappeared

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Me too @margherita. A coffee used to be my first thing in a morning. Now it's TP and a coffee! I too gain strength from you all. I'de just like to share if I may help Im getting from an unexpected source. My neighbours, also good friends, acquired a Labrador pup earlier this year. They are busy people and I often take her for a walk and some play. Ive grown to love her and she is always so well behaved with me. She's a gentle soul. The other day when we arrived home, and I 'd had an earlier sad visit with mum, she climbed on the sofa, snuggled up to me and pu t her head in my lap. Her eyes are beautiful and it was as if she knew I was feeling low. Unconditional love and so appreciated.
It was not "as if she knew".
She knew.
I have three dogs, all of them rescue dogs, who ( I studied the pronoun who can be used only for persons, which dogs are :)) are the joy of my life.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I used to be a night owl when I was young and carefree. Actually, that kept up for quite a long time. In the last couple of years, I am getting up earlier than I used to - 7 to 8 on weekends and in bed by 11. Not an early bird yet though as I haven't started springing out of bed at 5 am. Actually, I don't normally spring!

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
She knew.
I have three dogs, all of them rescue dogs, who ( I studied the pronoun who can be used only for persons, which dogs are :)) are the joy of my life.
Hi Margherita. Bess is indeed a joy and I believe you are right - she knew. I am delighted to read all your dogs are rescued. I support Dogs Trust and also sponsor a Lab pup who is being trained as a Guide Dog for the Blind. If I can ever have my own dog, I would head for a rescue centre. Trouble is how would you choose or, as I've often read" do they choose you? xxx

member74974

Jun 30, 2018
We’ve had rescue dogs for a very long time. Mostly greyhounds. I know one shouldn’t worry about the future - it’s usually something unexpected that hits you, but I can’t think what it would be without a dog. And our current one is probably our last...

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
She knew.
We have a rescue dog, a German shepherd cross who is now 10, they said he is crossed with a chow, maybe that why he's so hairy. Today I bought him a feeding station to save him bending down trouble is he doesn't seem very keen, it took him ages to have a drink perhaps I'll have more luck with his dinner!.I don't know what I'll do it anything happens to him he is the only thing that keeps me sane. Lx

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
We’ve had rescue dogs for a very long time. Mostly greyhounds. I know one shouldn’t worry about the future - it’s usually something unexpected that hits you, but I can’t think what it would be without a dog. And our current one is probably our last...
I have a friend who has always had greyhounds - they are lovely dogs. As for worrying about the future, no we shouldn't but it's hard not to. Elephants are my real passion - social, kind, highly intelligent and very emotional. I despair that they may well become creatures of the past if we dont stop the poachers and "Game" hunters. We could learn much from these magnificent creatures. I despair at mankind sometimes.

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
We have a rescue dog, a German shepherd cross who is now 10, they said he is crossed with a chow, maybe that why he's so hairy. Today I bought him a feeding station to save him bending down trouble is he doesn't seem very keen, it took him ages to have a drink perhaps I'll have more luck with his dinner!.I don't know what I'll do it anything happens to him he is the only thing that keeps me sane. Lx
Hi Rosebush. Since Bess has kindly let me into her life, I am increasingly comfortable with her. Just she and I on the field last night and after a difficult day, her company was just what I needed. x

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
How many of us are up and about at 'silly o'clock', and come on here to see what everyone else is up to??

It is a thought though - and reflects how little sleep some of us get, and how early we are up and about

What is your quietest time of day ? ( if any)

I will start the ball rolling with

6.00am
5.30 am. Five am if I’m lucky. Oh the bliss. Hot cup of tea. OH still asleep. Open my phone and ... check in with you all. Added fun of being upside down in Australia with all the northern hemisphere posts that have come in during the night!

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
5.30 am. Five am if I’m lucky. Oh the bliss. Hot cup of tea. OH still asleep. Open my phone and ... check in with you all. Added fun of being upside down in Australia with all the northern hemisphere posts that have come in during the night!
G'day (just here) @carolynp! Sounds great and a restorative start to the day for you. Take care Love J xxxx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I used to be a night owl when I was young and carefree. Actually, that kept up for quite a long time. In the last couple of years, I am getting up earlier than I used to - 7 to 8 on weekends and in bed by 11. Not an early bird yet though as I haven't started springing out of bed at 5 am. Actually, I don't normally spring. !

Love this, Joanne! Neither do I, sad to say.....xx