So bizarre !

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Spamar, I am 10 years younger than you. My birthday is the end of August, I was always the youngest in my school class.

It seems that 'your' party has been arranged and will go ahead with or without you - so you might as well go and enjoy yourself!

I have decided that, rather than a 'party', I am going to take a few close friends out for afternoon tea :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’m having a party this year, nearly had one last year, but bottled out, wasn’t well. So I’ve already asked one or two close friends so I can’t change my mind!
However, am not expecting to do much cooking! I was impressed, when I was away, by Tesco profiteroles which were brought in by cousins youngest and family! I love profiteroles! Used to make them, piled up in a heap, covered with chocolate sauce, yummy!
But did have my other favourite, pavlova, when we went out. The absolute best!
Must go, I’m feeling hungry!

Will have too many for afternoon tea, though it’s a really good idea.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
met a friend where I went for coffee, and she told me profiteroles were half price. That’s why the young lady bought them!

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes, happy 4th Amy. 2Jays, how are you?

Been out for lunch, we shared a fish platter and had ice cream for pudding! Now full! Although not as hot as yesterday, it’s always hot enough for ice cream!

Slugsta, I have a friend with birthday on very same day. She wasn’t the youngest, cos we had a bright spark who was a year ahead of his age.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I’m ok

Well you know....

Grand daughter 1 developed scarlet fever whilst staying the night with us and dau2, grand children 3 & 5

Thought the husky voice/sore throat was possibly hay fever, but no, had to take her home early next morning as she kept vomiting, and she was taken to doc.

Dau2 and I were concerned her children would catch it...but so far no one else has

looks like I took the blow for everyone. Adult scarlet fever aka Strep A with some symptoms of scarlet fever. I guess it’s because my immune system is low at the moment

Supposed to go to a funeral last Tuesday of dearly loved aunt who died suddenly. She came to Sons wedding and was reasonably spritely for a 87 year old with 2 very dodgy hips she appeared to enjoy herself greatly. So glad one of my last memories of her is dancing with the groom

I was too ill to travel. had to be brought home 20mins into journey as I had stomach awareness - think that might be a USA term....

So, as I say, I’m ok.... getting there. I’m definitely going to invest in a bio hazard suit for next grand child onslaught :D

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Sorry to hear that, 2Jays. Hope you begin to feel better soon. Amy - happy Independence Day.
We had our grand-daughter today, so our daughter could work. I was greeted with a huge smile by little one and it was lovely to have her, but I am now exhausted! Got to go to yoga tonight - lucky this weather makes it easier to wander down to the village hall for the class. In the rain or cold, I would lose all motivation, I think!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Thank you for all your happy 4 July wishes, from my dear TP friends everywhere! We will go to a cookout (a barbecue) at my cousin's house later this afternoon and I hope to see fireworks tonight. I love fireworks! Boom!!!

2jays, maybe we will take up a collection for that hazmat suit for you! I hope you finish cycling through the various germs and infections soon. Also please look after yourself and feel better soon.

Profiteroles sound fabulous!

Ann, you know we are all thinking of you, MIL, and the rest of the Mac family and sending many ((((((hugs)))))) to you all.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Amy, I hope you enjoy your fireworks. I love them too but OH isn't interested.

2Js, I hope you are being given time to rest and recover, rather than still juggling (((Hugs)))

Spamar, I am rather find of both profiteroles and pavlova (and most sweet things! :oops:).

Ann, I am thinking of you all.

It is still warm here but much less humid.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

A quick post as I've neglected TP this last week, due to absolutely manic goings on in work!

2Jays - really hope you are feeling better now - you have been through the mill lately, you poor thing. Sending {{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Amy - hope you enjoyed your cookout and had a very happy 4th x

Spamar and Slugsta - I too confess to being a profiterole lover - that and New York Cheesecakes are my favourite puds :D

My fab group climbed Pen Y Fan on Monday - in horrendous heat. I'd checked (and double and triple checked) temps, checked if there was any advice not to climb being sent out by the relevant advice centres (there wasn't) and had a qualified guide there who said it was OK for us to procceed. I'd supplied factor 30 and 50 suncream, made sure all had hats, appropriate clothing, masses of water, and everything else recommended, had a qualitfied first aider climbing with them - and still two came back down, really badly sunburned. The fall out from that has been a load of paperwork and - because the temps have continued to be incredibly high - a postponement of the Cadair Idris climb. Thankfully, I had risk assessments and had documented proof of all the precautions I'd taken, so no trouble for me - but obviously I feel so bad for the two who ended up sunburnt. Trying to rearrange the Cadair climb is proving to be a nightmare though. On the plus side, between my group and the lovely group from S Wales who joined us, we have raised £950 through just giving and FB fundraisers - and still have cash donations to count - so they have smashed their £1000 target after just one climb. I am so, so proud of them!

Also got a new line manager, and a lot of other stuff going on, which has caused some confusion and meant more time spent on admin. Totally lost track of my hours this week, but around 40, at least!

I've managed to see Mil just twice - on Saturday and on Wednesday. The reduction in meds is thank God, having an impact. The TD symptoms are reduced, and her speech and lucidity are improved. Unfortunatly the more 'with it' she is, the more aggressive she seems to be :( Nurse L reports that the HBM turned up unexpectedly and went over Mil's 1-1 notes - there are I think, about 6 incident reports in there for aggressive instances that have involved other residents, and between that and the other incidents logged in the daily 1-1 charts, Nurse L feels that the evidence supports Mil continuing to recieive the 1-1. We'll see - I suspect HBM will do her best to try and justify withdrawing it still. In between the alert/aggressive phaes, Mil is sleeping a lot. The weight is continuing to almost fall off her, despite the fact that she is (when alert) eating and drinking quite well. She has started to complain about pain, it seems to move from arms to shoulder to back, though primarily in her elbow on her left arm - impossible to get compliance from her to get an Xray, she is getting increasingly resistent to personal care or any examination, so all they can do at the moment is maintain pain relief. She was really sleepy on my last visit, and there was no recognition of me at all - usually she knows she knows me, even if she never has a clue as to how she knows me or what my name is, IYKWIM - but not on Tuesday. The odd comment she did manage to throw in my direction was very formal and distant, no smiles or any sign that she recognised me. I stayed for just 45 minutes before leaving her sleeping.

Off down the coast on a project today, dead on my feet after the last week (despite managing to take near enough my whole day off yesterday) so really looking forward to the weekend - especially as youngests theatre group are performing at Theatre Clwyd on Saturday :)

Sending love to all, and I will try and catch up properly in the next couple of days xxxxx

emp

Jun 27, 2018
Glad the withdrawal of meds is giving MIL some reprieve from the TD symptoms. Fingers crossed the HBM doesn't try to drag this out again over the 1:1. You've all been put through the mill enough over this.

I burn through factor 50 suncream too, but it sounds like you did everything you could to reduce the impact of the heat for your group. I once managed to get second degree burns in a thunderstorm :confused: Some of us are just destined to burn haha. Although I do now use a once a day suncream which is the most effective thing for me by far and I never burn when I have this (although you can always see if I missed anywhere by random red lines).

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
May be worth repeating(?) that should MiL cause harm to another resident through the 1:1 being withdrawn you will inform and cooperate with any relatives in official complaints/suing the HB, and let them know the individual who was responsible for the decision.

Hope work is less manic soon.

So warm here yesterday I did not take the dog out, for fear it would not be good for her. Up at 6.15 to take her in the cool of the early morning. Beautiful to see mist rising from meadows.

Love to all.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
It would be nice if the HB had come to view records to be supportive, but I doubt it.

good that TD symptoms are reducing, bad that there is more aggression.

I second the once a day suncream the apply every 2 hour factor 50 comes no where near the once stuff - I have used 'Soltan once' for 15 years now, and it worked for me in Turkey (I have fair Irish skin) in 40 deg heat. It last 8 hours and it does need to be reapplied at that point.

Dau on Uni rounds, she didn't like York as much as hoped, she loved Cambridge, and despite all the negative comments of the pressure cooker environment she has had from lots of people she is going to apply, and really hopes she will be offered a place. A cycling friend's elder sister is there, just finished first year, they live in South Wales, but with internet she has been in contact and is very encouraged (same subject area). Sheffield tomorrow.

Was very warm in Anglesey at weekend, I did worry about dog, was very hot here on Monday but has cooled a lot, now high 20s on car. Garden is suffering, no rain for I guess 5 or 6 weeks.

Amy - hope you had a good 4th July BBQ and fireworks.

Profiteroles are very high on all time favourite list.

As ever just as we get very busy soft fruit ripens so got to try and pick some this weekend, for first time ever blackcurrants have gone over in some places under a week after being ripe, I assume it is the heat.

2Jays - hope you feel better soon, such a bad year of illness for you

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Fortunately I got rid of all the soft fruit a couple of years ago. I just wasn’t using it up. Black currants grow well around here. Years ago, whole fields of the stuff were grown for ribena, providing summer work for school kids! Now, barely a black currant in sight! I wondered why my black, red and white currants did so well.

Went shopping early, came back, sorted some emails went out for coffee, now back and staying! It was only about 16c, and cloudy, earlier on, lovely! Now, considerably hotter!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Glad the withdrawal of meds appear to be dealing with the TD. Sadly at the cost of still having aggression. Possibly/maybe that can be addressed once her system is clear of the cocktail of drugs.

The least I say about HBM the better I think.

Thank you all for your get well wishes. Almost 85% better. Still got sore tongue and sore skin that’s peeling seeing GP again on Tuesday.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Just to let you all know, I've had a phone call from the CH - HMB has reduced the 1-1 by 2 hours a day - ahead of the review!

I could scream!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, Ann, I'm so sorry to hear about the reduction of 1 to 1 hours. That's so upsetting, for a variety of reasons.

I agree that while I'm pleased MIL is having some relief from the awful TD symptoms, it is sad to hear that the aggression continues and is worsening, and also that she is expressing pain.

From all you've said, the staff will do everything they can to keep poor MIL as safe and comfortable as possible. I'm so sad for everyone, though. Some (((hugs))) coming your way.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

HBM is a * (*think female dog) at the very best :mad: I cannot say what else I think or my post will be deleted!

I'm glad the first peak went relatively well, sorry about the 2 who got sunburned. Well done to them on the fundraising! It is probably good to have postponed the other climbs considering the weather.

It was lovely and cool in the pool this morning, although temps 20C at 9am. 32C by 2.30! I have dark hair but very fair skin (BFF was offended on my behalf today when the waiter in the cafe made comments about how white I am). The only 'all day' SPF I have tried was P20, and that caused a photosensitivity rash! :(

Love to all.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Just to let you all know, I've had a phone call from the CH - HMB has reduced the 1-1 by 2 hours a day - ahead of the review!

I could scream!

Who would believe that someone is such an utter insensitive expletive deleted all because of money......because I’m pretty sure it’s not because mil has got better...

Hugs xxx