Pros and cons of seeking a diagnosis

SallyJo

Nov 28, 2016
Hello everyone. I am pretty sure that I'm getting close to dementia. I have lots of blanks in my memory and find it hard to learn new things after a lifetime of teaching, managing small organisations etc. I'm 68 and live alone.
I'm not convinced that a diagnosis is a good thing. I can get loads of advice online and I understand that so far there is no evidence that any medication helps! If I had a definite diagnosis I would feel I had to tell people who would then worry and relate to me in a slightly different way.

On another matter, I would love to correspond ( maybe on here) with people who have similar concerns or have a diagnosis, but most people on these forums, even the "I have dementia" ones are writing about someone else. Can't the moderators ask them to choose the correct forum so I can find kindred spirits?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello everyone. I am pretty sure that I'm getting close to dementia. I have lots of blanks in my memory and find it hard to learn new things after a lifetime of teaching, managing small organisations etc. I'm 68 and live alone.
I'm not convinced that a diagnosis is a good thing. I can get loads of advice online and I understand that so far there is no evidence that any medication helps! If I had a definite diagnosis I would feel I had to tell people who would then worry and relate to me in a slightly different way.

On another matter, I would love to correspond ( maybe on here) with people who have similar concerns or have a diagnosis, but most people on these forums, even the "I have dementia" ones are writing about someone else. Can't the moderators ask them to choose the correct forum so I can find kindred spirits?
Your post assumes that your problem is dementia. What if it isn't and you have a treatable condition that is causing your symptoms?
Even if it is dementia, when the truth is known you then can plan for the future and get assistance now before the progression of the condition makes that impossible.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Just my thoughts! It could be something else, that can be treated. It is also my understanding that some forms of dementia can be helped/delayed through medication.
I’m pretty sure there are some active members who have a diagnosis of dementia, a read through the threads will help you find a ‘kindred’ spirit.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I agree it could be something else but if it is dementia there are drugs that may slow the progress. I have read posts on here from people who have been on donepizil/aricept for many years and say that it has helped them.

I so wish I had got dad to the doctors years ago as if he had started medication earlier the dementia may have progressed slower. There is no way of knowing if this would have happened but I would have liked him to have had the chance. Trouble was dad was in total denial of any problem, you are not which is unusual and an advantage because you recognise the problem and are able to do something about it.

It is worth going to the doctors just for this alone and if it is not dementia you will set your mind at rest.

SallyJo

Nov 28, 2016
Yes, I did go to GP 18 months ago and had blood/urine tests - all good. He referred me to the local Alzheimer's person who asked me the date and prime minister and said I didn't fit their criteria for help.
I'm seriously questioning the wisdom of asking for a brain scan.
Anyone out there who can tell me their first hand personal experience of this?
Do you understand my dilemma?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think I can understand where you're coming from Sally Jo.
I wonder if you have considered whether other people would need to know if you did get a dementia diagnosis?
I think you should also take into account the fact that, as other members have mentioned, some other treatable conditions can give rise to dementia-like symptoms?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes, I did go to GP 18 months ago and had blood/urine tests - all good. He referred me to the local Alzheimer's person who asked me the date and prime minister and said I didn't fit their criteria for help.
Did you or the GP consider apathy/anxiety/depression? I take it you aren't long retired from a very active life. One shouldn't underestimate the effect that ending a career can have. Here's a link to an AS Factsheet about these conditions. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ownloads/factsheet_depression_and_anxiety.pdf

The test you had sounds like the MMSE, which in my opinion is as useful as a chocolate teapot, especially for a well educated person. My wife is well educated and can score 30/30 on occasions with that but she most certainly has Alzheimer's - which was diagnosed after more thorough testing, consultations and scans. It took a few years for my wife to get from her first MMSE to a diagnosis. It also took persistence from me as I could see the deterioration and kept taking her back to the doctors.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border

My OH was in hospital very ill indeed with Crohn's disease. The hospital did a brain scan without telling us it was being done, or had been done.

2 months later I saw this scan as his dementia was being confirmed at the Memory Clinic.

BUT a brain scan, I have since learned, does not show the extent of the dementia. I was told by several people on TP that a scan can look practically normal and a person have devastating difficulties, but equally a scan can look awful, and the person is relatively OK. The brain is a powerful organ and very complex.

GO to the doctors, tell him/her your fears, and let them either take it further for you, or put your mind at rest. The fact that you are worrying like you are cannot be good for you.

emp

Jun 27, 2018
Brain scans are not diagnostic by themselves. As maryjoan has pointed out, this is due to them just showing any changes in the brain, not dementia itself. Dementia is diagnosed based on functionality changes in the person with a brain scan to perhaps support that diagnosis or see which changes to support what areas of the brain are affected. A memory clinic a consultant will consider all these factors: what the person is describing, what relatives are describing, the memory test and possibly a brain scan. Each part only tells a small part of the story on its own - considering everything together paints the bigger picture

Like the other posters have said, it might be worth going back to the GP to make sure it's not another health condition causing these changes for you. Other conditions like thyroid problems or low B12 can very much look like a dementia, but have a treatable cause. If you are worried, it is always worth getting checked so you can stop agonising over the what ifs

VadaJean57

Jul 11, 2018

VadaJean57

Jul 11, 2018
I really understand what you are saying. I don't know that my husband has any of the afflictions usually discussed in this forum, dementia, Alzheimers, etc., but he defintely has issues with his memory and concentration. We were married 38 years ago, and it took me little time to realize he was certainly different but I assummed it was his quirky personality. He had issues even then with his memory and concentration. I am presently wondering if it is ADHD because his symptoms are the same as those on the ADD/ADHD sites. Nevertheless, We have chosen to not go to a special doctor for fear he will run test and slap a label on him that will mark him for the rest of his life. It's not just a simple matter of going to the doctor and finding out what's wrong. If a doctor says you have dementia or Alzheimers, you will change the way you think about yourself and others and be fearful of different reactions from friends and family. The diagnoses could cost you your job and friends. Being diagnosed with these mental diseases are not like being diagnosed with being cancer. There are no cures for dementia and Alzheimers like there often are for cancer.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I really understand what you are saying. I don't know that my husband has any of the afflictions usually discussed in this forum, dementia, Alzheimers, etc., but he defintely has issues with his memory and concentration. We were married 38 years ago, and it took me little time to realize he was certainly different but I assummed it was his quirky personality. He had issues even then with his memory and concentration. I am presently wondering if it is ADHD because his symptoms are the same as those on the ADD/ADHD sites. Nevertheless, We have chosen to not go to a special doctor for fear he will run test and slap a label on him that will mark him for the rest of his life. It's not just a simple matter of going to the doctor and finding out what's wrong. If a doctor says you have dementia or Alzheimers, you will change the way you think about yourself and others and be fearful of different reactions from friends and family. The diagnoses could cost you your job and friends. Being diagnosed with these mental diseases are not like being diagnosed with being cancer. There are no cures for dementia and Alzheimers like there often are for cancer.
Yes, I so appreciate this post. My OH and I did not seek a diagnosis as he had no symptoms. He had a brain scan after a fall to see if he had concussion, and they saw fairly advanced Alzheimers!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, I so appreciate this post. My OH and I did not seek a diagnosis as he had no symptoms. He had a brain scan after a fall to see if he had concussion, and they saw fairly advanced Alzheimers!
I am sorry, posted this before I had finished. Anyway, when I told our social life people, they definitely took a step back from him, and ultimately from me. So this is not a straightforward issue at all. I think it sounds like it ought to be from those who have no real experience of the dilemma! Warmest, Geraldine aka kindred.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Remember a diagnosis does not change the course of the disease. A negative will be a relief, a positive will explain the symptoms. Depending on the type of dementia, there may be drugs that can reduce the symptoms. Knowing means you can prepare for the future and get things in order. A diagnosis will also open up local help. There is also a wider implication at a social level in that care home requirements of the future can be planned for. Wow! It shows how much info I'm getting from the online course. I'm becoming a right little know it all with very little experience;)

SallyJo

Nov 28, 2016
Thank you everyone. I do not read this forum often as I don't want to focus on dementia and memory! I really appreciate the replies people have put on here.
On balance, I think I will just get on with life and wait for more symptoms to emerge before going back to GP.
Thank you

Carolann3

Jul 22, 2018
Thank you everyone. I do not read this forum often as I don't want to focus on dementia and memory! I really appreciate the replies people have put on here.
On balance, I think I will just get on with life and wait for more symptoms to emerge before going back to GP.
Thank you
Just a thought, have you had your thyroid checked?