Disposal of incontinence pants?

Jeanz71

Feb 27, 2018
How does everyone manage the disposal of used incontinence pants?
I can't fit them in my household waste bin....

I buy incontinence pants for my dad as advised these are better than the pads for dementia patients. The problem is disposal of them. . apparently as I buy the pants I cannot be referred to the councils medical disposal service?

Council tell me my dad needs to be referred for the collection via a letter or form from either his GP or District Nurse Continence team. The GP has never heard of a form and is unwilling to help further and the District Nurse admin I spoke to says that as they do not provide the pants (due to budget cuts) they cannot refer either? I feel like I am running in ever decreasing circles any suggestions please?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Jeanz71
how odd!
I don't personally know about this, as dad is now living in a care home
but 2 thoughts
maybe 'play the game' - ask for a referral to the Incontinence service and for a while accept the pads they 'prescribe', which then makes you eligible for their referral to the disposal service - you may find that the pads provided are fine, so all well and good (and you save money) or you can swap back later, I doubt the disposal service will notice ....
and may be worth contacting your local councillor to ask for their help

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I bought a second bin and emptied it when full. Luckily our complex has a bin room with plenty of space.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Interesting question. I had always thought that I could put them in household wheelie bin, but this is emptied every other week , always have bags full to place in as soon as and sometimes I take a bag or two down to our local tip. Think I will ring my continence service and council on Monday, would hate to think I am doing something illegal.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try a different approach.
Does your LA provide an additional 'residual waste' bin?
In my area these are provided FOC (bit of a con, there is a £30 delivery charge).
An inspector visits, checks that you are recycling correctly, considers you family size, why you need an extra bin and hopefully authorises one. It comes with a red lid on the normal grey bin to stop people just 'acquiring' a grey bin somehow or other.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The weird thing is that people with a stoma get a completely separate collection service, a van comes round once a week and collects the special red plastic bags that have to be left on the pavement.
Neither discrete or hygienic, think investigation by wildlife.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
The weird thing is that people with a stoma get a completely separate collection service, a van comes round once a week and collects the special red plastic bags that have to be left on the pavement.
Our council changed to a three weekly collection of black bins. I rang and told them that mine was full in 2 weeks with husband's pads. They sent someone to look at bins on morning of collection to check if full and that I was recycling correctly. They then sent me another smaller bin.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
We have a collection every two weeks and one bin is definitely not enough for the waste we amass! I phoned the council, firstly to ask if the waste was allowed to go in normal bins. Yes it was, they said, and when I explained that I could not fit everything into one bin over two weeks, they sent me a form to complete to apply for a second bin. I got the impression you can only get one under very special circumstances! I had to pay around £30 for the second bin (one off payment), but could not cope without it. After two weeks in this heat the smell from the bins isn't pleasant, but that's not our fault. I'm sure the collection guys are used to it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
LAs have a duty to collect residual non-recyclable household waste, cost is included in council tax, mine is collected every 3 weeks and unless I've been indulging in DIY it can go for 9 or 12 weeks without collection.

Other bins, paper/cardboard, plastic/glass, garden/food waste are fortnightly, the first 2 can miss 5 or 6 collection, I struggle with the third even though I have access to 3 other bins whose owners have small gardens.

Some LAs are introducing an annual charge for collection of 'green waste'.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hang on there, you mean you have to put special red bags outside your house, telling the world you have a stoma??? Most stoma wearers pride themselves on it not being obvious. Dear God, who are these people who dream these things up? Gxx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hang on there, you mean you have to put special red bags outside your house, telling the world you have a stoma???

Yes , I did say it lacked discretion.
Not collected by normal LA service but by a separate NHS?/LA? service.
Probably comes down to finance - who's job is it to collect clinical waste?

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
We put ours in the household waste and dad changes the bag daily in this weather. I know from someone local we can ask for a second bin if we need it, but because we recycle a lot, it's not necessary.

Have you tried rolling them up, I think that may take up less space.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
The council tried to suspend our collections as the lorries had an accident in the lane and blamed our road (unmade). It was actually the recycling and the waste collection lorries attempting to pass on a single track and one of them ending up in the ditch - but that is another story between residents and the council. Upshot was that they suspended all collections and said we had to place our rubbish in sacks at the nearest collection point on an asphalted road (3/4 of a mile away as far as I was concerned!). Rubbish collections now reinstated and I won't bore anyone with the details but can you imagine getting the bags of household rubbish and incontinence pads (not in wheelie bins, they didn't want to know about those) every two weeks??? If I refused to put it in the car then I think four/five trips with bags might have sufficed, plus another two with recycling. It's summer now (smellier) but in the winter and having to wait until 7pm before the bags could go out, that would mean all those trips down an unmade country road in the dark.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I use nappy sacks for each one of Mums and have a separate bin lined with a black bin bag outside which I put them in. I then just put the black bin bag out with the others each week.

megan10

Feb 23, 2018
My Local council in Wales has a 2 week purple bag collection for mums incontinence pads, recycled into chip board.Told mum happy and not bothered.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
There is a thread here from the Alzheimer’s Society “your tips: getting the right incontinence products asking for info on finding incontience products, but it’s only using posts on that thread. Some of you that have posted on here may like to add to this thread.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
I have just been putting them in our Green bin which has disposable nappies on its list. Blue bin is plastics and paper, Brown bin is garden waste, cur flowers, veg peelings. etc.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There is a thread here from the Alzheimer’s Society “your tips: getting the right incontinence products asking for info on finding incontience products, but it’s only using posts on that thread. Some of you that have posted on here may like to add to this thread.
But they are not asking for disposal info?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife