hi everyone.

hopefullyhelpfu

Sep 5, 2008
hello everyone. my purpose here may be a little different to everyone else. I currently work as an advocacy case worker for Age Concern. I am very interested in caring for people with dementia and would like to hear about peoples experiences in caring for another with dementia. I regularly visit people in care homes and in the community with all levels of dementia and thought who better to ask than those who are dealing with this illness first hand.
i would be very intersted in any comments, advise or anything really that you think may help.
many thanks, bev.

suzanne

Jul 25, 2006
wiltshire
welcome to tp

welcome to TP, you say you are interested in carers and caring, just sit and read the many thousands of threads on this site and you will be party to the whole range of emotions,highs and lows,happy and sad, humerous and angry. This site is the release that some of us need which is not available at home, it has become the mainstay of some, the font of all knowledge,comfort and support for all, better than any bookin print because it comes from the heart and is not out fopr profit.Any advice will be forthcoming when asked a question.Best of luck Suzy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi, welcome to TP.

Suzanne is right, all you have to do is read, it's all here!

If you want views on a specific topic, you can use the Search function on the green band, or ask a question here.

It's very difficult to give advice or views without a specific question.

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
Hi Bev
Everyone with dementia is different, of course, and people's needs change as the dementia progresses. The experience I had with my father and aunt, both of whom had dementia, is that once the dementia had progressed to a serious stage they responded best to care workers who:

maintained good eye contact, coming down to their level when they were sitting or in bed;
spoke simply and clearly in short sentences, avoiding giving alternatives or choices;
did not patronise them by speaking to them as though they were children;
smiled and showed warmth;
were patient and listened carefully to try to understand them even when their language no longer made obvious sense;
found out something about their past lives and interests, to try to find a point of contact, perhaps through a photograph;
did not rush them in any activity;
showed through their tone of voice and manner that they had respect for them as individuals;
understood that on some days, times they would be better able to communicate than others.

I don't know whether this is helpful or not to you, but good luck with your work.
Blue sea

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Bev

Now you have access to the site, just read and read and read and read. You will find issues regarding guilt, problems with care homes, problems with support in the home, feelings from those whose relatives have died, feelings from those still supporting relatives, arguments between siblings, arguments with the medical profession re treatments - you name it, it is on here. Get searching!

Regards

Margaret