A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Dhiren was born in 1932 Amethyst .

There was nothing significant then as far as I know, but when he was nearly 16 in 1948, he was attending the prayer meeting conducted by Gandhi ,when Gandhi was assassinated.

His mother wouldn`t give permission for him to go so he stole the money for his train fare from her purse.
Oh my goodness! So his mum must have known it was potentially unsafe, what a sad, but important event to witness. I’m thinking there must have been pandemonium and for a young boy to be there alone...well, you wouldn’t want it for your son, would you? But what a tale to have, to tell to the grandchildren.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
A frightening experience for Dhiren Sylvia and one he could never forget.
I remember when I saw the death of Gandhi on the news in the cinema as a young child I was very upset. I can’t recall the actual newsreel but I do remember crying for nights afterwards and my mother trying to comfort me. In an effort to do this she told me he had wanted to die and for years after I always thought he had committed suicide. It helped at the time I think. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I’m thinking there must have been pandemonium and for a young boy to be there alone...well, you wouldn’t want it for your son, would you

He was very adventurous as a young man, a bit of a rebel, and political all his life Amethyst. As he grew older , just pre dementia, he lost a lot of confidence and it was sad to see it go.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
You are in my thoughts Sylvia, and remembering Dhiren with his unforgettable smile.

What an experience for Dhiren when a teenager, and one he would never forget despite the fear and the panic there must have been all around him.

I also remember that day Gandhi was assassinated, hearing it on the radio, my parents talking about it, later seeing it at the cinema on the News and the feelings of disbelief.

I wish you peace today. A quiet day can be good although inevitably sad. Yet quietness for contemplation and recalling all that you and Dhiren shared over your years together.

Love
Loo xxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hope today is full of warm and loving memories and smiles
I like to celebrate mum's life on her birthday, taking her a flower, closing my eyes and imagining her hug
what significant times Dhiren knew

Dibs

Jun 19, 2009
Hampshire
I'm fine thank you Sylvia. My mum will be 90 this year and has been in her carehome for 8 years now. Her alzheimers is advanced but she is settled and very well looked after.
I still read posts on TP and have learnt so much over the last few years. This really is a wonderful forum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When my grandchildren were small I saw them daily and did the school run and looked after them in the school holidays, until Dhiren`s needs overtook everything.

Then the teenage years came when I hardly saw them except at family gatherings for birthdays and Christmas and occasional summer barbecues. During these years I was fully occupied caring for Dhiren so had little time for them even when I did see them.

My middle granddaughter is home from University and she visited on Thursday. She stayed all afternoon and between us we put the world to rights talked about grandpa and shared many experiences. :)
She asked for the recipe for lentil dahl. I don`t have a recipe and it was difficult to tell her the quantities so I suggested we made it together and then she would know.
We had another lovely evening yesterday, making the dahl. We dined together, spent the rest of the evening chatting and I sent her home with the left overs.

It was so good to have this time with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.