Drip Drip Drip

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I always start with new posts as I get lost with the endless threads....I cannot keep track.

Went out with my son last night to hear Jeff Beck. It was very enjoyable. Jeff Beck had a young woman playing electric cello, integrated into his pieces. And he had a woman bass player. It was a good evening.
Good to be with my son.

But this morning, I am listening to a tried and true favorite Beethoven's 7th Sinfonie. I find I return to classical music, always. Particularly, symphonic music. Sadly, Nick has never had any interest in music. Many Alzheimers patients relate and enjoy music....but not my Nick. He was never very interested. He supported all my activities sweet man, with music but it was just not his thing. But a magnificent tree, an alpen landscape, a dense green forest....these things bring him intense pleasure and the physical activity which accompanies the opportunity to be part of the music of the spheres, this is where he finds joy.... long may it last..

Nelly, our old housekeeper, and her lovely little dog (Nick is a total dog lover) came to stay with Nick while I went out to the concert last night. She stayed with him part of the time I was in Greece. He was in bed when I came home from the concert. And she sat with me. She asked me how long I thought I could go on like this. She said he is so much worse than he was even a few months ago. so anxious, obsessive, confused and so unsettled. I am so used to it all, luckily, I am able to go with this flow most of the time. I told her as long as she is coming to help me and my other team of people I am able to go on. And it is so true, I am blessed that I have this team of supporters.

Nick quit taking his meds again about 3 or 4 weeks ago (as discussed here on TP) and Professor Leyhe (who helped me get Nick to keep taking the meds about 18 months ago, when I discovered he was just pocketing them or hiding them in an eyeglass case) has said to let it go, as the Aricept most probably has little effect now. But since returning from Greece I am so aware of his nervous and anxious behaviors....the eyeglass cases, the sock drawer and of course, his collection of pocket knives which he keeps in the bedroom.

I had to take Nick in to town on Wednesday to have his eyeglass fixed for the gegillionth time. I suggested he might have his eyes tested and get new sturdier frames. Of course, he objected and would not cooperate with the clerk. So dear Beni (our Eritrean walker/carer), took him in for the eye test on Thursday and got him to select some new plastic frames which I hope will be more durable. Bless Beni, I so appreciate all he does for me. Nick likes him and trusts him. But Nick does not like and trust me all the time...I also had to order him a new bank card as he could not remember his code and entered too many times....perhaps I should leave it. But then he forgot that the card was not working and is obsessed the the mobile phone which is working but he has not been able to operate it for a long time...it is a simple one with only four pads with four numbers, mine , our sons, our daughters and my dear friend. Drip drip drip....the slow drip of loss.

One day one day at a time. Today, its the grandbabies and fun in the garden....I receive so much pleasure observing their young developing minds as they make new discoveries and the excitement of simple things, which in my caring role, I so often overlook. Open my eyes today to joy and beauty, let me be aware. And of course, help me to practice patience, love and kindness to all those I encounter today.

Last edited:

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I see your point about a new thread because I hadn’t seen the entry about the meds. I found this post very helpful in guiding me through the progression of this wretched disease, dealing with which is not my forte. I am very moved by your story which mirrors mine to a certain extent although I am at the beginning. Keeping as strong as possible day by day seems to be the key, with it only being a matter of how long we can do that.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Thank you for your post, and I am sure it encourages others as it does me..

Surprising the joy and contentment other people can bring into our lives. I am at my very worse when I have been cooped up alone with OH for days/weeks at a time with no one else to be with other than the half hour daily carer.

My yesterday was wretched - I wanted OH out of my life, completely. I wanted him to end our relationship and go back from whence he came. It will not happen as he thinks all is well.

Then my daughter messaged me on fb with a phone video of 6 year old Liv's sports day - said granddaughter is small for age, and daintily carried the bean bag on her head in one race, then decided it would be good just to hold it on her head, gaining confidence she started to run, forgot to hold on bean bag, it flew off behind her and she had to return to recover it - very funny! Made my day, and today I do not feel quite as wretched.

There really is good in every day - but sometimes it is very hard to find !!

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you for your post, and I am sure it encourages others as it does me..

Surprising the joy and contentment other people can bring into our lives. I am at my very worse when I have been cooped up alone with OH for days/weeks at a time with no one else to be with other than the half hour daily carer.

My yesterday was wretched - I wanted OH out of my life, completely. I wanted him to end our relationship and go back from whence he came. It will not happen as he thinks all is well.

Then my daughter messaged me on fb with a phone video of 6 year old Liv's sports day - said granddaughter is small for age, and daintily carried the bean bag on her head in one race, then decided it would be good just to hold it on her head, gaining confidence she started to run, forgot to hold on bean bag, it flew off behind her and she had to return to recover it - very funny! Made my day, and today I do not feel quite as wretched.

There really is good in every day - but sometimes it is very hard to find !!

Morning Maryjoan, I’ve just been hanging out the bedding, and saw that the Phyladelfious ((can’t spell it )) anyway has it’s most beautiful white blossom full out so cut a few stems and put them in the kitchen makes me smile each time I see it...so glad your feeling a wee bit better today ...A x

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
She asked me how long I thought I could go on like this. She said he is so much worse than he was even a few months ago. so anxious, obsessive, confused and so unsettled. I am so used to it all, luckily, I am able to go with this flow most of the time. I told her as long as she is coming to help me and my other team of people I am able to go on. And it is so true, I am blessed that I have this team of supporters.
Hi @PalSal ,
the question your old housekeeper asked you is the same I often ask myself.
I think I can go on until there are serious health issues ( such as double incontinence ) or physically aggressive behaviour.
Therefore my answer is I won't be able to go on for a long time.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
....which I am unable to do.
I admire you. It is not the first time I have told you, your moral strength is amazing
Thank you for your lovely thoughts but I remind you that I lose it like everyone else- just have a gander at my old posts. It’s progress not perfection-I have no choice but to accept. Sometimes I just practice fake it til you make it- I fake being loving and kind- and it is so.. I am loving and kind, but not 100% , a good day 50% And I better be refreshed I have only been home one week after a complete break .My patience should hold out another ???? who knows. I never see what sends me over the edge...it always takes me by surprise.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Hi @PalSal ,
the question your old housekeeper asked you is the same I often ask myself.
I think I can go on until there are serious health issues ( such as double incontinence ) or physically aggressive behaviour.
Therefore my answer is I won't be able to go on for a long time.
Hello Margherita, good to see you again. We all still have to go on if we can. Remember the good times. Mrs M.and I are now in a radically different circumstances to what we were even just a few months ago. Her aggression is treated with quetipiana and memantine, my health issues are treated with having a housekeeper for 6 mornings a week. 4 hours of freedom. The other 20 hours a day I have to keep smiling, like all of us. Mercifully she doesn't understand or have to feel the pain of us having suddenly lost no.2 son to an aneurism 3 weeks ago.
malomm

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hello Margherita, good to see you again. We all still have to go on if we can. Remember the good times. Mrs M.and I are now in a radically different circumstances to what we were even just a few months ago. Her aggression is treated with quetipiana and memantine, my health issues are treated with having a housekeeper for 6 mornings a week. 4 hours of freedom. The other 20 hours a day I have to keep smiling, like all of us. Mercifully she doesn't understand or have to feel the pain of us having suddenly lost no.2 son to an aneurism 3 weeks ago.
malomm

@malomm I am also very sorry to hear of the loss of your son that must be hard to bear. Wishing you strength.

therese

Jan 6, 2016
gloucestershire
malomm
Oh malomm I am so sorry about the loss of your son - that must be the absolutely worst thing about this disease, that we can't share with our partners as we used to do. We too are in dramatically different circumstances these days - indeed I received a lovely email this am from a group of friends we used to meet up with each year in Deia in Mallorca bnut not this year. It would be just too too difficult. We all have to try to find something in each day which cheers don't we. I think of you particularly with such a burden to bear.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
@malomm , I'm lost for words. The death of a son is the worst thing I can think of.
You sound so brave, but I can only imagine how difficult it must have been and still is.
I'm so worried for you, who takes care of you? Who can you share your grief with?

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Oh malomm I am so sorry about the loss of your son - that must be the absolutely worst thing about this disease, that we can't share with our partners as we used to do. We too are in dramatically different circumstances these days - indeed I received a lovely email this am from a group of friends we used to meet up with each year in Deia in Mallorca bnut not this year. It would be just too too difficult. We all have to try to find something in each day which cheers don't we. I think of you particularly with such a burden to bear.
Thank you so much for caring.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
@malomm , I'm lost for words. The death of a son is the worst thing I can think of.
You sound so brave, but I can only imagine how difficult it must have been and still is.
I'm so worried for you, who takes care of you? Who can you share your grief with?
Don't worry Margherita. I think this is a reversal of roles here. I should be worrying about you. I know that your so called social service systems are better organised up North than the virtually invisible ones down here, but I know that you are very much on your own in all this.
I still have a son nearby to share our sadness with, and another one far away who is in constant touch online. I also have nearby my son's widow and the brave grandchildren, who need my moral support now that husband and father have been taken away from them. So we all look after each other so that I can dedicate as much time as possible to looking after nonna (granny).
We keep smiling and carry on.
malomm

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Dear Malomm
Don't worry Margherita. I think this is a reversal of roles here. I should be worrying about you. I know that your so called social service systems are better organised up North than the virtually invisible ones down here, but I know that you are very much on your own in all this.
I still have a son nearby to share our sadness with, and another one far away who is in constant touch online. I also have nearby my son's widow and the brave grandchildren, who need my moral support now that husband and father have been taken away from them. So we all look after each other so that I can dedicate as much time as possible to looking after nonna (granny).
We keep smiling and carry on.
malomm
Dear Malomm,
I am so sad for you and your family for the sudden death of your son. I am glad you are near family so that you are supported and can be supportive. This must be a terrible shock for all of you.I frear that would be my last straw....I am glad you are being given strength to go on and recognise that others need your help, his widow and his children.
Take care.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
@malomm ...I too am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. It hurts when we cannot share happy news with our loved ones, but not to be able to share the grief at times like this is terrible. I am so glad that you have family near you, and especially the family of your dear son. Those children will need their Grandad more than ever now.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Dear Malomm

Dear Malomm,
I am so sad for you and your family for the sudden death of your son. I am glad you are near family so that you are supported and can be supportive. This must be a terrible shock for all of you.I frear that would be my last straw....I am glad you are being given strength to go on and recognise that others need your help, his widow and his children.
Take care.
Thank you for your support, but don't be sad. You know that you can and would carry on regardless. Believe me I feel lucky that I wake up every morning, and can put my feet on the ground to face another day.
Pull out all the stops and keep smiling.
malomm

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
[USE theR=43068]@malomm[/USER] ...I too am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. It hurts when we cannot share happy news with our loved ones, but not to be able to share the grief at times like this is terrible. I am so glad that you have family near you, and especially the family of your dear son. Those children will need their Grandad more than ever now.
They need me but I need them too. My heart goes out to all those of you who for whatever reason are battling on their own.