Sweet Tooth....

Spicebabe

Jun 7, 2018
My mother seems to have developed what I think is an 'unhealthy' love affair with rich tea biscuits. She can get through almost a pack a day if left to her own devices. I do however ensure that she has a balanced healthy diet, and whilst a little of what you fancy does you good and I really do not want to deprive her of whatever she 'fancies', I am just a little concerned about the saturated fat content of these biscuits.

Has anyone noticed their PWD has developed a very sweet tooth or craving for certain food items, and more importantly, should I be concerned?

TIA

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, it's completely normal in PWDs. The taste for sweet things goes last, and while I understand your concern about a healthy diet, there might come a time when she wants nothing else, and then it will be more important to get any food into her than worrying about nutritional content.

Spicebabe

Jun 7, 2018
Yes, it's completely normal in PWDs. The taste for sweet things goes last, and while I understand your concern about a healthy diet, there might come a time when she wants nothing else, and then it will be more important to get any food into her than worrying about nutritional content.

Thank you for your reply, I'll stop worrying.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Wise to stop worrying, Obviously too many biscuits may fill her up and she may not want to eat normal meals, then you can always cut back a little. Plain biscuits are probably better than a lot of things out there.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Spicebabe
I agree, in fact it's useful to know what your mum has a fancy for
dad loves chocolate biscuits and bananas and when he is agitated offering these to him often helps to settle him, I guess they act as a comforter - and while he is eating he concentrates on that so can't moan (which has become a habit with him) - anything that helps his anxiety is welcome

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Yes, my dad developed quite a sweet tooth for chocolates, biscuits and cakes, he would quite literally live on these as it was something he didn't have to prepare. Although he did try incorporating them into meals or drinks. I've discovered him eating a rich tea sandwich and found him with a cup of what smelt like hot chocolate once, made up with hot water, Thorntons chocolates and some chocolate biscuits.

I didn't worry too much though as his bloods always came back normal, so it obviously wasn't doing him any harm.

Elle x

Spicebabe

Jun 7, 2018
Yes, my dad developed quite a sweet tooth for chocolates, biscuits and cakes, he would quite literally live on these as it was something he didn't have to prepare. Although he did try incorporating them into meals or drinks. I've discovered him eating a rich tea sandwich and found him with a cup of what smelt like hot chocolate once, made up with hot water, Thorntons chocolates and some chocolate biscuits.

I didn't worry too much though as his bloods always came back normal, so it obviously wasn't doing him any harm.

Elle x

Awwww this made me smile thank you.

Tuesdays-Child

Apr 15, 2018
Derbyshire

I agree with @Beate on this - my grandma’s diet mostly consists of chocolate pots bought by my mum. It’s not necessarily the best food, but it ensures that she’ll gain weight.

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
My mum loves ice cream, bananas and seedless satsumas - so a mix of good and bad. I think she has loss much or her sense of taste for subtle flavours - she had a Chinese takeaway with me for the first time last year and loved it - and sometimes she seems to prefer softer options - hence the ice cream and bananas. All in all her diet is pretty balanced but I wouldn't worry anyhow as long as mum is eating something.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
My mum always ate very healthily! Four years into the journey she won't touch fruit or veg.she buys fruit on a weekly basis but a few weeks later, I have to throw it away

Blondee

May 12, 2018
I agree with previous replies. I think it’s something that happens in the elderly, developing a sweet tooth particularly for ice cream I seem to remember reading somewhere. I’d just let her have what she enjoys. As long as she is getting balanced meals it should be ok.