getting mums doctor to act!

try again

Jun 21, 2018
My mum is 86 and has memory problems, shuffling gait, struggles with remotes and phones. I have been accused of throwing clothes away, moving things around her house and doing things without her permission, I now see that this may also be symptomatic. She is also finding it hard to remember words so I am suspicious of some type of dementia. A year ago we went to her doctor and I mentioned all this and she had blood tests done. We did nothing else about it but this year I have been back to the docs with her. He gave her citralopram for anxiety. I was hoping to get her tested so that at least they was a recorded baseline for her.
Any tips on getting something started?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @try again, welcome to TP. I hope you find this a supportive place.

It does sound like the GP is doing the right thing in eliminating the health problems that can mimic dementia but are treatable. Everyone goes through this stage.
One just has to persist and try again. However, it's known that some GP's aren't so well tuned in to dementia so if there is a different GP available at your mum's surgery that route may be worth a try.

A good idea is to make a list of all your concerns for presentation to the GP as a person with dementia can put on a good show when sitting with a doctor.

In the hope that it helps, here's a link to an AS Factsheet about assessment https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...nloads/factsheet_assessment_and_diagnosis.pdf

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @try again a warm welcome from me, others in a similar position have kept a diary here on TP and then printed some of that out to give the GP an idea of your Mums day to day life.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Thanks. She's just woken me up on the phone to tell me her phone wouldn't let her speak to me and she wants to complain to the man that won't put her through...she has a 1-touch phone and i'm number one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justinadmitrijeva