I feel like i need someone to speak to about my grandad with dementia and alzheimers

vickib30

Jun 20, 2018
HI im just writing this thread i am wanting people to speak to. my grandad has mid satages of vascular dementai and alzheimers. his short term memory int as bad as others but his moods are getting worse. we try not to tell him what to do, some tiimes he will go in a mood for no reason. im just scared of what is to come its starting to get to me now me and my brother live with him. he has it for 5 years now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @vickib30

You have been caring for your grandad for a long time. Do you and your brother get any help?

Grandad is going to get worse I`m afraid and I hope if you haven`t asked for help by now you will do so immediately.

There will be a lot of help and support here on Talking Point so please keep posting and tell us a bit more about your situation.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, @vickib30, welcome to Talking Point. It is all frightening, and whilst no one can predict exactly how things will progress, you can read information about the different types of dementia and what you might expect as things go on.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets/publications-dementia
And if you have any specific questions, you can always ask them on the forum and you will find that the members respond really quickly. Between us, we have a fair amount of experience.

vickib30

Jun 20, 2018
Hello @vickib30

You have been caring for your grandad for a long time. Do you and your brother get any help?

Grandad is going to get worse I`m afraid and I hope if you haven`t asked for help by now you will do so immediately.

There will be a lot of help and support here on Talking Point so please keep posting and tell us a bit more about your situation.
Hello @vickib30

Hi at the moment we dont feel he is bad enough for any help from carers, my Aunt his daughter comes down every weekend too. but we are going to be looking into it very sooon i think, its the moods and small thngslike doing normal day things hygiene and eating propper meals and going places which is a struggle as he doesnt have much motivation. sometime its a struggle to give him his tablets too and he will say things like he has had enough, then wont remember its just really sad .

Edu

Jun 1, 2018
Hi Vicki
It is an extremely sad situation to be in. My mum just last week has deteriorated to the point that she can no longer walk unaided or aided. She eats very few mouthfuls of food and we are thankful for the times that she takes her medication that keep her calm and help to stop her becoming agitated. Every time she has a dip in the condition and deteriorates a bit more, it feels like losing her all over again. We requested a visit from OT and they agree that we could do with some equipment such as lifting belts, turntable and hoist to help with the day to day management of my mums care. My advice- do ask for help if you need it. Unfortunately, this condition does not get any easier for the person suffering from it, or for the carers that have to watch their loved ones.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @vickib30, welcome to TP from me too.

As you mention your grandad's mood, it may be worth looking at the Factsheet about apathy, depression and anxiety as I think it's possible to underestimate the impact of these issues and just consider the dementia once someone has been diagnosed. I know my wife needs meds for these issues as well as her Alzheimer's meds. If you're interested, here's a link to the specific Factsheet https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ownloads/factsheet_depression_and_anxiety.pdf

Edu

Jun 1, 2018
Hello @vickib30, welcome to TP from me too.

As you mention your grandad's mood, it may be worth looking at the Factsheet about apathy, depression and anxiety as I think it's possible to underestimate the impact of these issues and just consider the dementia once someone has been diagnosed. I know my wife needs meds for these issues as well as her Alzheimer's meds. If you're interested, here's a link to the specific Factsheet https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...ownloads/factsheet_depression_and_anxiety.pdf

Edu

Jun 1, 2018
Mum became extremely violent towards us and cried a lot in the mid stages
Once the doc prescribed an antipsychotic and an anti depressant she became much calmer. Three years down the line, she is still on them and as long as she doesn’t refuse to take them, we mostly have good