newly diagnosed with dementia

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
hi everyone on this forgot the name of it
i feel very sad for most of the people on here both people with dementia as in umbrella
oh its called tp i think
i have been diagnosed with alzheimers and vasculor type dementia it come a bit of a shock even tho i been havening memmory problems for a good few years but been getting worse through time
i was diagnosed at a memory clinic after the paper type test then sent for ecg and blood tests and mri scan
and it showed up which apparntly means 3 to 5 years and was put on mematine straight away and then called back after a month to see how i was doing then increased to 10mg and then after a nother month another check up on me to see me again now told it be six months my doctors were informed but nevercontacted me lol but the council have a nice lady on their alzheimers team who has been helping me
trying now to get blue badge for me
my late mother bless her had alziemers and parkinsons and my gran had it too and my mums cousin
so i am asking it is heredity
and i also see many people in same vote here trying to get a diagnosis then no support and others being told one thing and not the help they wanted or needed
where would this country be if it wasnt for our army of carers who dedicate their lives to helping family friends and people who need help when social care does not step up to the mark
sorry if i have rambled a bit but wanted to blow of some steam and you all have my sympathy

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @bobmacwos, welcome to TP.
There's no need to say sorry for rambling, or ranting even, as that's all part of why the forum exists. The forum members are all people who have dementia in their lives in some way so we all understand each other. I'm glad that you have someone from the local support team helping you.

I see that you think your diagnosis means 3 to 5 years. If you are talking about life expectancy, can I give a gentle warning about looking at things like statistics as every person with dementia is different and when reading statistics you have to be careful about how the statistics are made up as they may not apply in your particular case. My wife has Alzheimer's and she recently read some statistics on-line and announced to me that she had 6 years left as a maximum. I hope that she will last for 20+ years. Who knows which of us is right.

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
Hello @bobmacwos, welcome to TP.
There's no need to say sorry for rambling, or ranting even, as that's all part of why the forum exists. The forum members are all people who have dementia in their lives in some way so we all understand each other. I'm glad that you have someone from the local support team helping you.

I see that you think your diagnosis means 3 to 5 years. If you are talking about life expectancy, can I give a gentle warning about looking at things like statistics as every person with dementia is different and when reading statistics you have to be careful about how the statistics are made up as they may not apply in your particular case. My wife has Alzheimer's and she recently read some statistics on-line and announced to me that she had 6 years left as a maximum. I hope that she will last for 20+ years. Who knows which of us is right.

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
hi pete no sorry what i meant its explained for it to usually be shown up on mri scan it could be 3 to 5 years hence the fact it may not show up to second scan
and no i dont quote life expectancies as things are bad enuf without that
its one day at a time
and try to do things you havnt done before and try new things if possible and keep your family and friends close to you
i feel sad for lots of people on her with no support or not much and family members miles away or the ones where family feuding or not supportive hence the good work by dementia friends and champions
take care

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello again @bobmacwos, I'm glad that I got the life expectancy thing wrong.

I read your first post again and see that you were asking about dementia running in families. The answer to that is yes, it's one of many risk factors, although thought to be a small factor. In my wife's case, her mother had it but we're not aware of anyone else in the family having it. There is a Factsheet about this and here's a link to that if you want to have a read https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites.../downloads/factsheet_genetics_of_dementia.pdf

All the best to you.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
I am so humbled reading these posts. Bobmacwos, good luck to you and the way you deal with your diagnosis is inspiring. Keep on doing new things, have new experiences and enjoy every single day. Best wishes :) x

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
I am so humbled reading these posts. Bobmacwos, good luck to you and the way you deal with your diagnosis is inspiring. Keep on doing new things, have new experiences and enjoy every single day. Best wishes :) x

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
thanks cazzita for your post hope you ok bearing up
like i said before i have been haveing memory problems but told probly my depression now i know its dementia but for people my age 59 who dont have depression etc and notice things going wrong or forgetting them or not managing to priritize things it comes a mighty big shock and then to get the diagnosis which verfies it its traumatic
sometimes its not them that see or observe it it friends and family family usually notice little bits and bobs but friends not often seeing the pers will see larger changes i am sure most will agree
and also that talking point is a good place to let of steam or converde with someone if the need a ear or help

FitMomma66

Jun 6, 2018
thanks cazzita for your post hope you ok bearing up
like i said before i have been haveing memory problems but told probly my depression now i know its dementia but for people my age 59 who dont have depression etc and notice things going wrong or forgetting them or not managing to priritize things it comes a mighty big shock and then to get the diagnosis which verfies it its traumatic
sometimes its not them that see or observe it it friends and family family usually notice little bits and bobs but friends not often seeing the pers will see larger changes i am sure most will agree
and also that talking point is a good place to let of steam or converde with someone if the need a ear or help
Hi BobMacWos! Just wanted to wish you well! I am happy to see your posts. You are very young. My husband was recently diagnosed. He is almost 58 years old. He is totally unaware he is having issues. I guess I am glad he doesn't know, but there are some days I wish I could talk to him about his illness. Take care of yourself!

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
Hi BobMacWos! Just wanted to wish you well! I am happy to see your posts. You are very young. My husband was recently diagnosed. He is almost 58 years old. He is totally unaware he is having issues. I guess I am glad he doesn't know, but there are some days I wish I could talk to him about his illness. Take care of yourself!

bobmacwos

Jun 3, 2018
hi fitmomma66 sorry to hear that
it must be hard as you say but have you tried it with memory nurse or phyiast present as the may have observation s on your husband not talking
i am deaf and sometimes my consatration just goes so its possible some people will talk and some might not
therapy for u might be able to help
good luck

alansymonds

Aug 9, 2018
This is really hard to accept and understand because each type of dementia has a different cause and affects people in different ways. It may be difficult to tell which type of dementia a person has because they all have some symptoms in common.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
hi fitmomma66 sorry to hear that
it must be hard as you say but have you tried it with memory nurse or phyiast present as the may have observation s on your husband not talking
i am deaf and sometimes my consatration just goes so its possible some people will talk and some might not
therapy for u might be able to help
good luck

Thanks @bobmacwos , I am deaf too so we have that in common. Wishing you love and luck in dealing with this. Take each day as it comes and take the best from each one xx

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi Cazzita. How did the day with the carer's go? I hope it was a help. Xx

Hi @Ernest , Yes, it went well thanks and mum is now enjoying the company of the carer once a day which will be x3 per day in a couple of weeks when I go back to work. However, it is a local, private company and obviously, not cheap either but while she can afford it, she can have it. Hope all is okay with you :) x

Ernest

Jan 23, 2018
Hi @Ernest , Yes, it went well thanks and mum is now enjoying the company of the carer once a day which will be x3 per day in a couple of weeks when I go back to work. However, it is a local, private company and obviously, not cheap either but while she can afford it, she can have it. Hope all is okay with you :) x
That's good Cazzita. It must be a relief to get things sorted.
I'm ok but still finding it very difficult as my OH doesn't accept that he needs to be in care. He's looking really well which is down to the care he's getting. I come away from visiting wondering if I could manage him at home then just have to think back a couple of months and know that it wouldn't work. It's just so very hard. Anyway, thanks for reading this. Take care x

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
That's good Cazzita. It must be a relief to get things sorted.
I'm ok but still finding it very difficult as my OH doesn't accept that he needs to be in care. He's looking really well which is down to the care he's getting. I come away from visiting wondering if I could manage him at home then just have to think back a couple of months and know that it wouldn't work. It's just so very hard. Anyway, thanks for reading this. Take care x

You take care too @Ernest . He clearly is being looked after well and yes, you are much more of a judge than he will be about needing care. Look forward and enjoy the good moments xx