I think I know

chummie 18

Jun 19, 2018
I have, for three years, gone to a memory clinic but due to moving abroad - as well as my consultant retiring everything seems to have stopped. I have a very bad memory. Very, very bad. I get so frustrated when I cannot remember things that have been said to me. This happens many times each day. I often come to a stop and cannot recall the conversation I have just stopped in the middle of. This also happens often and I find it very embarrassing when strangers just stare at me when this happens. In the chemist I am asked my address and I don't recall it. I was speaking to someone who was walking her dog, and didn't realise it was a neighbour. My memory is getting far worse. I often forget to take tablets.
When out driving I cannot remember which way to go. My wife has to be with me. I have driven past my road and forgotten where to go. I often, if alone, get lost.
On a personal note everything I have to do becomes jumbled. I cannot work things out and often panic because I can see that people are noticing and trying to get back on track makes things worse. I constantly repeat myself and my wife seems to get annoyed with me as people are too nice to say they have heard it. My wife often says "I have told you this lots of times! Why do you not listen". I do listen, it's just that within a couple of minutes it has gone.
I constantly worry about looking foolish or to make people snigger at the stupid things I do. I feel that sometimes I retreat inside myself which seems safer than coming out.
My ex-consultant told me I was very depressed. I have been depressed before many years ago when my young son died. I came out of this a long time ago. I do not feel at all that I am depressed. I have been told I have something but not sure what it was. Some impairment.
I feel awkward when I go to be evaluated because I know how much worse I am feeling. I know that my who mental outlook is getting worse. I try to explain how I feel but can't put it into the right words, which gets me mixed up, which makes them tell me I have depression. A bit like someone telling you that you look worse, and in the end you feel worse!
I want somebody to listen to me. I can write how I feel as you can see, but to say it I end up so confused and feel like walking out. I feel that people do not take me seriously.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @chummie 18, you are welcome here and I’m sure you will find the members friendly, nformative and supportive.
A complication in your case may be your move abroad, however, if you state where you are now based someone may be able to direct you as we have members around the globe.

Be assured that you will be taken seriously here.

chummie 18

Jun 19, 2018
Hello @chummie 18, you are welcome here and I’m sure you will find the members friendly, nformative and supportive.
A complication in your case may be your move abroad, however, if you state where you are now based someone may be able to direct you as we have members around the globe.

Be assured that you will be taken seriously here.

Thank you Pete. I am hoping that moving abroad helps me in the mind. It is an amazingly beautiful place which I cannot be depressed in.
Take care

SallyJo

Nov 28, 2016
Hello Chummie,
I am in a similar position. I will be 68 next week and I am single, living alone. I'm fairly happy and have lots of social contact.
I find I am much less able to think of the right word, learn new things, cope with technology, find my way on roads and remember what I am doing. I play scrabble on line, try to learn the names of garden flowers and try hard to concentrate. My friends think I'm not trying hard enough.
I went to my GP almost two years ago and he did blood/urine tests and said I'm physically healthy. He referred me to the local memory person but her tests were so simplistic that of course she did not take me on - and anyway she can only offer singing groups, tea and biscuit chatting groups for people with full-on dementia.
I suppose I could ask for a brain scan but I wonder what's the point of a diagnosis, anyway! There are no drugs that really help.
Best wishes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @chummie 18 and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm sorry to read of your situation and can understand how worrying it must be. I know you said that you live abroad so I'm not sure what kind of support there might be for you where you are. This link will allow you to look up Alzheimers Associations in different parts of the world. I wondered if it would be useful to see if there is anything in your area.

https://www.alz.co.uk/associations

It's good that you've found TP and I hope you continue to write about how things are and what is concerning you. Apart from the support you will get on the forum it will give you a written record of what's happening. If necessary you could print out your posts for when you are talking to someone about your concerns.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Hello @chummie 18 and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm sorry to read of your situation and can understand how worrying it must be. I know you said that you live abroad so I'm not sure what kind of support there might be for you where you are. This link will allow you to look up Alzheimers Associations in different parts of the world. I wondered if it would be useful to see if there is anything in your area.

https://www.alz.co.uk/associations

It's good that you've found TP and I hope you continue to write about how things are and what is concerning you. Apart from the support you will get on the forum it will give you a written record of what's happening. If necessary you could print out your posts for when you are talking to someone about your concerns.

That is a very good idea Izzy - to write it down, taking your time when you are calm and then presenting it to the medics.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
With my husband I sometimes used to write my concerns down and hand them in to the memory clinic a day or so before. In that way the doctor was able to read them beforehand and not try to have to take it in while we were there.

Good luck.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Hello Chummie,
I am in a similar position. I will be 68 next week and I am single, living alone. I'm fairly happy and have lots of social contact.
I find I am much less able to think of the right word, learn new things, cope with technology, find my way on roads and remember what I am doing. I play scrabble on line, try to learn the names of garden flowers and try hard to concentrate. My friends think I'm not trying hard enough.
I went to my GP almost two years ago and he did blood/urine tests and said I'm physically healthy. He referred me to the local memory person but her tests were so simplistic that of course she did not take me on - and anyway she can only offer singing groups, tea and biscuit chatting groups for people with full-on dementia.
I suppose I could ask for a brain scan but I wonder what's the point of a diagnosis, anyway! There are no drugs that really help.
Best wishes.
Hi @Sally Jo. A diagnosis of type of dementia can be helpful. There is medication that can stabilise some types of dementia, not a cure but a slowing down of the progress. I’m sorry the memory person was no help. The Alzheimer’s Society have lots of publications, use the blue bar at the top of the page to look at some. Others will come by with more advice.

SallyJo

Nov 28, 2016
I'm not convinced that a diagnosis is a good thing. I can get loads of advice online and I understand that so far there is no evidence that any medication helps! If I had a definite diagnosis I would feel I had to tell people who would then worry and relate to me in a slightly different way.

On another matter, I would love to correspond ( maybe on here) with people who have similar concerns or have a diagnosis, but most people on these forums, even the "I have dementia" ones are writing about someone else. Can't the moderators ask them to choose the correct forum so I can find kindred spirits?