I'm going on holiday..why can't I relax?

saskia

Aug 10, 2015
North Essex
Hi all

It's been ages since I've posted..so hope everyone is doing 'ok'.
Mum's been in her CH for a year now..following being sectioned & a 3 month stay in a secure hospital.

Her CH is fabulous ..staff are caring, mum's has put on over a stone ( she was under 7 stone ..so this is fab) & 70% of time, mum is settled, knows it's her home now( or a fancy hospital!) She still asks to go home or ' out' most visits ..but as we do take her out every weekend.i understand why.

So why do I feel so so guilty that I am going away next week, abroad for 7 nights.??

Mum will get a visit from my brother & her friend goes once a week..however since mum's been in the CH, we seemed to have developed this real bond. When i see her her face lights up, & the staff say she spends the days saying ' my daughter will come today' ..

I know she is safe..i know she will be ok..its me.

Why do we wear this guilt necklace so heavily .

& my poor hubby..his dad is in hospital awaiting surgery for a heart bypass & hubby is facing a redundancy situation...this holiday is the first on our own in 6 years ...we need it for our sanity!

Thank u for reading ..just wanted to put this out there..

Sas xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Why not send her a picture postcard every day while you are away?
The carers can read them out to her, she can look at the pictures and know that she has not been forgotten

Have a lovely holiday.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Please don't wear that necklace heavily.
I too had a holiday with my hubby not long after mum went to live in a care home (too much for me, I wasn't coping, my best just wasn't good enough - eventually I said it all out loud )
Anyway... what I really wanted to suggest is a game.
Going on holiday with hubby when we had loads to say but found it difficult to open up and actually do it was nigh on impossible...however (thanks to our son) I took along a game (yes I know how this sounds but bare with me). It's called "Marrying Mr Darcy" .( online from Am..zon) .. girly sounding I realise but even Mr HairTwidler says it's good.
You can play with 2 people but most importantly it gave us time together when we didn't "have to have those big talks" just to relax and enjoy.
All best wishes.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Hi Saskia,

Just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel! My Mum in care home for 6 months. Staff are lovely and Mum has settled well. I am an only child so unfortunately she does not get many visitors. Initially lots of people dropped by to see her but that has all stopped and I understand they have busy lives too and it's not their Mum. I go with my daughter every couple of days. One of her sitters goes once a month and and another relative who lives a long way away goes every 3 months.
This week I have an awful cold and have not visited for 6 days as would not wish to pass it on to any residents.
But does make me feel bad as the sitter said when she goes my Mum always asks if I am going to see her and talks about me a lot.
Later this year have a week away booked too and am trying to organise visitors in my absence.

Please have no guilt because there is no need it is a useless emotion. Be thankful that the arrangements you have put in place are working well. We are both lucky that our Mum's have settled well and have thrived where they are. Have a great time away.

saskia

Aug 10, 2015
North Essex
Thank u all for your lovely responses ..had a lovely a lovely day with mum....she told me not to get burnt!

I'm flying Monday morning..will visit father in law in hospital & then mum tomorrow..good job I've packed!

Love to everyone living with what I think is the worst illness ever .

Sas xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew