Health & Wellbeing POA

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Myself and my sister have LPA for Mum and Dad. Mum is PWD.

How do we go about getting a health and wellbeing one for Mum and possibly Dad too.?

After having a meeting with a carer, she also wanted to know if we have a DNR order in place? Is this something we have to legally do, or can we just tell hospital?

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Myself and my sister have LPA for Mum and Dad. Mum is PWD.

How do we go about getting a health and wellbeing one for Mum and possibly Dad too.?

The same way as you got the, assumed, finance ones.
If either has lost capacity it's too late her/him, welfare deputyships are virtually impossible to obtain.

After having a meeting with a carer, she also wanted to know if we have a DNR order in place? Is this something we have to legally do, or can we just tell hospital?

DNARs are not a legal requirement, they are useful especially in the later stages, just telling a hospital may not be enough, in any event the decision is made by the senior clinician present.

The carer was asking because he(she) needed guidance in the event of an emergency.

There is also a 'advance care plan'
http://www.goldstandardsframework.org.uk/advance-care-planning
which gives guidance on what treatments a person near the end of life should be given.

Last edited:

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Do you have a care plan.
The key points of person-centred care
  • Treating the person with dignity and respect
  • understanding their history, lifestyle, culture and preferences, including their likes, dislikes, hobbies and interests
  • looking at situations from the point of view of the person with dementia
  • providing opportunities for the person to have conversations and relationships with other people
  • ensuring the person has the chance to try new things or take part in activities they enjoy.
Family, carers and the person with dementia (where possible) should always be involved in developing a care plan based on person-centred care.

Their knowledge and understanding of the person is extremely valuable to make sure the care plan is right for them.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Health and welfare POA is a pretty grey area, get one if you can but the medics can always override it as they have to work in the patient's best interests.
It does give you access to some medical appointments and decisions but it isn't the be all and end all when decisions have to be made and the person with the LPA is always an outsider in the patient-doctor relationship.
The medics won't make some decisions without involving the family and where the relationship is clear cut like husband/wife it's not a problem but after that and a son/daughter then are there other siblings, why should one be asked when there may be many who should be consulted and when their relationship becomes more important than all the rest unless they have an LPA?
Many people on here deal with in laws or aunts/uncles where the relationship and how many other people may be involved at the same level of familiarity is unclear, there a POA is very much needed.
If you can get an LPA as I assume the joint LPA you have with your sister is for finance so it isn't clear, who has the final say on the important issues of health and welfare?
K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife