Promethazine

Pudster

Jul 29, 2013
Braintree
my husband was recently visited by a Dr from the mental health team, following a call to the team as I had concerns about how he was verbally and feedback from the day centre he goes to about him shacking a chair with someone sitting on it. There was no information regarding what had caused the incident, but it his demeanour has become much more volatile.
He was prescribed promethazine 10mg x 2 tablets daily and has been on them since Tuesday, however I have noticed that he is much more disturbed and confused and angry towards me. When awake he seems to be very alert and confused.
I am going to call the team on Monday for further advice but curious about other people’s experiences. I have researched and it is used as a pre op med, travel sickness and anti histamine

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband was prescribed it as an anti histamine but I found that it knocked him out totally so use it very sparingly indeed. In the course of a year I barely go through one packet.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
my husband was recently visited by a Dr from the mental health team, following a call to the team as I had concerns about how he was verbally and feedback from the day centre he goes to about him shacking a chair with someone sitting on it. There was no information regarding what had caused the incident, but it his demeanour has become much more volatile.
He was prescribed promethazine 10mg x 2 tablets daily and has been on them since Tuesday, however I have noticed that he is much more disturbed and confused and angry towards me. When awake he seems to be very alert and confused.
I am going to call the team on Monday for further advice but curious about other people’s experiences. I have researched and it is used as a pre op med, travel sickness and anti histamine
My OH became more physically and verbally abusive and was prescribed Mirtazapine which is an antidepressant, it has definitely calmed him down and made him easier to live with.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It could just be that the dose needs dropping. I used to give my mum a travel sickness pill to help calm her at night so she could sleep, but not every night, with gp's ok and instructions not to rely on it long term. So maybe with the right dose it could help, or maybe it is just that his system has to get used to the medication.

Definitely report back to memory clinic regarding your observations.

Pudster

Jul 29, 2013
Braintree
What is a memory clinic???!!! . We have had no input from neurology or memory clinic and consultant declined GP request for an appointment, albeit he hasn’t been seen since Jan 2014. He did however suggest to our GP that we should contact the mental health team if desperate and prescribed memantine which worked for a few months. The promethazine has been prescribed 2xdaily and not PRN. Just really concerned that OH is not getting appropriate care?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sorry, but it may not be called that any more. It is Neurology/ phychiatric [oh dear, spelling] team that gp's refer patients to for further Dementia tests, including a brain scan and then a diagnosis. There is a weekly clinic held in our local hospital, but I don't think for much longer, I got a letter last week to tell me that mum may be discharged and referred to a local mental health team.

We tried a lot of different medication, but most did leave mum more confused and anxious. Anti depressants helped at different times, afraid mostly it was all about tweaking the dosage to get a few months of calm and then it was back to trying something new, again for a few more months. Gp, consultant and I all came to the same conclusion and that was mum had a low tolerance to a lot of the prescribed medication.