Husband just diagnosed

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
feeling lost we live abroad and not sure wether to stay or go back to Uk, no family here but plenty in Uk. I want to do the best for him.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Welcome to TP. A little more information would be helpful, what area you are in currently, OH (other half) age etc. This post will also put you back on top.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Milatoschris
a warm welcome to TP
I'm sorry to read of your husband's diagnosis - but glad that you have found TP as the members here are generous with their knowledge and support
I appreciate that you want to do the best for your husband; you are important too, and as you will most probably take on the major part of looking out for and looking after him, do really consider where it will be better for you to be for your own peace of mind and to get as much help as you can
maybe start looking into how your finances stand and how much a move will cost - also how you stand with accessing benefits and services in each country - it may be if you return to the UK there will be a waiting period to become eligible for eg Attendance Allowance and access to Social Services (I don't know this, just wondering)
there are members here who have made this type of move so they may see your post - might you add the country you are in as the location on your profile so it's easily seen?
and do have a mooch around the site (the search box is at the very top of the page) - and the main AS site (link button at very top right of this page)
sorry I can't answer your question - do keep posting with anything that's on your mind

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Milatoschris, a warm welcome to TP from me too.
I'm guessing from your forum name that you live on the Greek island of Crete.

My wife and I spend a lot of time in Cyprus but since my wife's diagnosis we quashed our thoughts of moving permanently to the island due to the lack of support from either family or the health service there. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the same Greek culture would apply in Crete, in so far as people are, in the main, taken care of within the family unit.
There is an Alzheimer Europe web-site that gives some basic info about Greece in general but the data seems to be a few years old so I'm guessing that there may not have been much development in community services recently because of the financial position in Greece.
I know there used to be a forum for ex-pats on Crete so maybe a search for that may be worth while as you could raise a question there too.

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
hello @Milatoschris
a warm welcome to TP
I'm sorry to read of your husband's diagnosis - but glad that you have found TP as the members here are generous with their knowledge and support
I appreciate that you want to do the best for your husband; you are important too, and as you will most probably take on the major part of looking out for and looking after him, do really consider where it will be better for you to be for your own peace of mind and to get as much help as you can
maybe start looking into how your finances stand and how much a move will cost - also how you stand with accessing benefits and services in each country - it may be if you return to the UK there will be a waiting period to become eligible for eg Attendance Allowance and access to Social Services (I don't know this, just wondering)
there are members here who have made this type of move so they may see your post - might you add the country you are in as the location on your profile so it's easily seen?
and do have a mooch around the site (the search box is at the very top of the page) - and the main AS site (link button at very top right of this page)
sorry I can't answer your question - do keep posting with anything that's on your mind
Thankyou
hello @Milatoschris
a warm welcome to TP

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
Thankyou going to take things slowly, but my daughters have said they want us to eventually go back.

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018

My wife and I spend a lot of time in Cyprus but since my wife's diagnosis we quashed our thoughts of moving permanently to the island due to the lack of support from either family or the health service there. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the same Greek culture would apply in Crete, in so far as people are, in the main, taken care of within the family unit.
There is an Alzheimer Europe web-site that gives some basic info about Greece in general but the data seems to be a few years old so I'm guessing that there may not have been much development in community services recently because of the financial position in Greece.
I know there used to be a forum for ex-pats on Crete so maybe a search for that may be worth while as you could raise a question there too.
Yes we do live I Crete

Hi @Milatoschris ,
I am sorry for you, above all because you sound so lonely.
Hope you keep posting because you will find help and support here on TP
Yes we live in crete, if we stayed we would not get any support. Going to see how things go, my daughters want us to go back to UK eventually. Will take things slowly x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes we do live I Crete

Yes we live in crete, if we stayed we would not get any support. Going to see how things go, my daughters want us to go back to UK eventually. Will take things slowly x
My wife and I still holiday a lot in Cyprus and we have managed well with that since my wife's diagnosis. Obviously every case is different, but I hope that you may still be able to keep one foot on the island, so to speak. Good luck anyway.
Do keep posting for help or support as and when required as the members are both understanding and informative.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EileenSp