Where to get copy of LPOA certified?

iq200

Jan 25, 2016
Hi,
My father has advanced dementia and I recently discovered that he has an MBNA card with £16 in credit. I called them to get the money put into his bank account but they are refusing to do this without a certified copy of the POA. I do have the original POA but was wondering where I could get a photocopy certified ideally free but if not then as cheaply as possible. Obviously if it is going to cost more than £16 than what's the point :( ?? I suspect that is the objective of MBNA anyway!

However the woman on the MBNA help desk seemed to think that you could get it done free at a police station but I am not so sure they will do it - they have enough to do with all the shortages in staffing!

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
iq

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I don't think the police will do it.

MBNA legally have to document they have proved who you are, the fine for not doing so when inspected and paperwork is missing is hefty, together with potential prison sentence for the named individual responsible for their systems, so they aren't doing it to keep £16 it will cost them more in admin costs anyway to sort it out.

The normal way to get a certified copy is to pay a solicitor - where I live I have found one who did it for £5 but in london they charge considerably more. There are several threads on this, and it does vary. You would need to phone round different local solicitors to see what they charge.

I do think for £16 that it probably isn't worth it, it is something you could sort out after he has died maybe, although not sure what that requires either.

don't whatever you do send them the original.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi,
My father has advanced dementia and I recently discovered that he has an MBNA card with £16 in credit. I called them to get the money put into his bank account but they are refusing to do this without a certified copy of the POA. I do have the original POA but was wondering where I could get a photocopy certified ideally free but if not then as cheaply as possible. Obviously if it is going to cost more than £16 than what's the point :( ?? I suspect that is the objective of MBNA anyway!

However the woman on the MBNA help desk seemed to think that you could get it done free at a police station but I am not so sure they will do it - they have enough to do with all the shortages in staffing!

iq

This is not a police matter. I used a solicitor costs £20.

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
Hi,

iq
Hi I think you will find as time goes on you may need certified copies of the LPA to satisfy the requirements of various organization's. I got 4 copies for £5 a copy from a solicitors.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Hi I think you will find as time goes on you may need certified copies of the LPA to satisfy the requirements of various organization's. I got 4 copies for £5 a copy from a solicitors.
I got free copies from Job Centre Plus.

Scriv

Feb 2, 2018
We have been able to send a copy of the original by encrypted email attachment to some organisations with password given in a separate communication, but a lot of organisations insist on a paper certified copy. Do not send away the original.

The bank took a copy of it when we took it in to them and we were able to get the ones for DWP certified and sent to DWP free via a Job Centre Plus, but I don't know if they do this free for you if you need them to send other organisations.

We have also paid £15 per copy at our solicitor's.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I keep reading this about the Job Centre - mine wouldn't do it.
I keep reading about £5 copies from the solicitor - everywhere I asked that was the rate per page not per document!

So when I needed it for the bank, I made an appointment and took the original which they copied while I waited. Several other people like social workers accepted an uncertified copy.

There is the option to self-certify by writing a certain text on every page and getting it signed by the donor, but for that they still need to have mental capacity.

If you can get a certified copy for a fiver, fine, otherwise I would also leave it until his death when you can send them a certified copy of the death certificate which costs about £4 from the Registry Office. When you do, tell them to return it so you can reuse it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
So when I needed it for the bank, I made an appointment and took the original which they copied while I waited. Several other people like social workers accepted an uncertified copy.

For all local banks I did this, and some places such as HMRC did accept a photocopy (although think they normally need a certified copy).

For pensions and banks without a local high street presence and other financial institutions I needed a certified copy.

In several cases, despite the wording required to formally certify the LPA being used, I had the LPA returned with a request for additional wording specific to that institution so I had to go back to the solicitor and get 4 copies with added wording. I was only charged a £5 or £10 for this additional visit, where I actually sat across the desk from the solicitor and went through it all. Based on comments on TP the charges I have paid are at the lowest end of the scale.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother had her LPA done by her solicitor, he has the original and sends me certified copies as needed for £25 each. I found I needed multiple certified copies, I've sent out probably 7, and have a few in hand - some organisations copy them and return them, others keep them. Her landlord, the care agency and her care home all kept them as did a couple of financial institutions. I'll shortly be sending two more out and have no idea if they will be returned.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Her landlord, the care agency and her care home all kept them as did a couple of financial institutions

They should all return them, they have no need of them, as they can copy them and stamp them to say they have. The financial institutions should really know better.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
They should all return them, they have no need of them, as they can copy them and stamp them to say they have. The financial institutions should really know better.

I didn't know if I should routinely expect them back, that's good to know. I found they tended to be returned at face to face meetings, but not if sent in the post, I suppose it's laziness - it's easier for them to keep it. It's a drop in the ocean compared to her (self-funded) care costs so I don't feel it's worth contesting. Let's see if the DWP return the copy I'm sending out next week...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
When you send it out, include a note saying "please return the certified copy after use as it's my property and cost me money". I found that worked like a charm with death certificates.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
When you send it out, include a note saying "please return the certified copy after use as it's my property and cost me money". I found that worked like a charm with death certificates.

Good idea, I will do that in future!

Sammie1900

Jul 26, 2017
The Jobcentre will only do certified copies if it is related to DWP business, I think.
I refuse to send off the original anywhere, only use it when I can actually take it somewhere in person, I arranged to get a couple of certified copies for £5 each from local solicitors. I didn’t have any connection with them so think at that price it must be a loss leader!
Sometimes you can get away with sending a photocopy (provided you’re not in a rush if they then ask for an original.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I got 3 copies of mine and my wife's (PWD) LPAs (Financial + Health/welfare) done at our solicitors who hold copies of our wills.

They only charged £10 for the lot, but that was about 2 years ago.

Phil

iq200

Jan 25, 2016
Thank-you all for your help. Sounds like it's not worth it for £16 at this time.

Boldredrosie

Mar 13, 2012
Goodness, I must be living in purgatory. I've had to get a range of certified copies because different financial organisations wanted different wordings from the certifiers -- even within the same massive financial organisation requirements were different. One company rejected a certified photocopy because the punched holes on the bottom were not clear. All of this has cost a small fortune and not one solicitor has certified for less than £150 (& that was a favour). Latterly I found someone who's a professional notary and he did is for £65 which I thought was a bargain at the time.

iq200

Jan 25, 2016
Whilst I understand the original need of LPOAs so the system is not abused and for companies and organisations to make sure they are communication with the right people, I do feel that where money is concerned, companies and organsations generally take advantage of the system by trying to use the certification process to retain as much money as possible.
At the end of the day as in my case, who is going to bother with certifications for £16?!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree it is really not worth it for £16. I was asked by Scottish Widows to send a certified copy of the LPA, plus two forms of ID certified by an accountant or solicitor, despite the fact they could see on their screens that all this info was already held by another of their departments. And all I wanted was a note of interest accrued for tax return purposes - the account was already closed.

The DWP did promptly return the certified copy I sent them a fortnight ago.

surfergirl409

Jun 4, 2016
Since having LPA for my mothers finances and heath over the past 2 years there is one thing I can categorically state...nobody else in whatever capacity has any real understanding what it actually means, for example, a conversation with a high street banks help desk staff member and myself...
“ Hi, I have come in today to close an account my mother has with you,I know the account has a zero balance. I have an old bank card that Is 2 years out of date on me but no other details. Mum has Alzheimer’s, she doesn’t have capacity and is in full time residential care. I have my LPA here with me.”

“ oh I’m not sure I can do that, one moment I will ask someone.”
Manager comes over, staff member explains situation to him.

“ sorry you have to make an appointment so that we can put you on the account first and then we can close it. It would also be good if your mum can come in as well”

“No she has Alzheimer’s and is 90 years old, she is in a care home and doesn’t have the capacity to make any decisions, sadly.”

“Oh so she can’t come in with you then..?”