What to do with LPA now

Alibaba80

Aug 4, 2017
Somerset
I have obtained LPA for my mum and have registered it with her Bank so now have cobtryof her accounts online and a debit card and cheque book. But I’ve been told I should register it with her pension providers, NS&I investments and all utility companies. Does anyone know the best way to do that?
Also should I tell the Drs that I have LPA health?
Thanks in advance.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Definitely her doctors but I have adopted a need to know with others. I find occasionally someone asks eg Johns dentist asked for a copy a couple of weeks ago.

Incidentally she was happy with a scanned copy.

Carobby

Dec 7, 2017
Well im just going through a complete nightmare because of SS and my LPA
I wont go into all the details but i took out and LPA two years ago because my mother could not see properly or hear very well so it was a nightmare to do any thing for her with regards to her finance as they wanted to talk to her when I tried to contact utilities etc.
She wanted to sell her house but did not want all the associated hassle so I did this with her approval. She was already living with me and my family so gave me the proceeds fron her house sale for my house. Unfortunately i left this in my account took advice as to pay it off mortgage or invest still could not decide.
This was before she was diagnosed with dementia
Earlier this year i had a bit of a melt down so put my into respite then was basically talked into it being the best things for her by SS. I said she had no money to pay for care but would pay for one month they ask me to extend and badgered me into a financial assessment for her.
Now i'm facing and investigation from OPG as to her financial affairs.
As all as I can say make sure you do it all properly don't make the mistake I have of excepting and monies in case she needs care in the future. Also register it with every one including a solicitor

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes, tell the G P. The others, I think it’s a case of phoning or going to see them if local. Though I told people on a need to know basis.
Dentist, Marion? That’s a new one! Though OH had dentures, so not much call for a dentist!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
John at 85 has his own teeth apart from 2 crowns. He had to have one pulled last visit and I think it reminded her how vulnerable he is.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I've been using my LPA for my mother for nearly 3 years, and I agree with Marion that I do it on a 'need to know' basis. If you want to register it with a particular company, ring and ask exactly who to send it to so you know it reaches the right department. They should return the copy to you, but I find that doesn't necessarily always happen so make sure you have a copy or two in hand.

I gave a copy to the necessary financial institutions, accountant, landlord. The GP asked if I had LPA but I can't remember sending them a copy, I think they dealt with me as NOK. But with stuff like utilities where the payments were made by DD, I never bothered to tell them. The only point at which I dealt with them was to cancel the accounts when she moved to a care home, and that didn't require LPA (I thought it might, but none of them asked to see it).

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Absolutely correct. Provide it if someone asks or you need it to manage an account or a problem with an account, otherwise don't bother. Some things you'll only have to deal with on death, and then via a death certificate and not an LPA.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It used to be a palaver with both post office accounts and NS&I! If you don't need to touch the money then it's easier to leave it like Beate says.

The worst one as far as I was concerned was M&S investments. They wanted two forms of ID and letters from all three attorneys on the LPA sent off to them to prove we were acting correctly.

Alibaba80

Aug 4, 2017
Somerset
Thanks for the advice. I will contact the GP about it although mum has already signed a form allowing them to speak to me about her medical problems.
I live 180 miles away so I’m trying to do whatever I can to make life simpler in the long run!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I have obtained LPA for my mum and have registered it with her Bank so now have cobtryof her accounts online and a debit card and cheque book. But I’ve been told I should register it with her pension providers, NS&I investments and all utility companies. Does anyone know the best way to do that?
Also should I tell the Drs that I have LPA health?
Thanks in advance.

I registered dad's LPA with his banks but no one ever asked about his pensions so like Marion i adopt a need to know basis. I am currently waiting for the LPA Health and the care homes I have visited have asked to see the LPA Finance.

MaNaAk

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Every company seems to do it’s own thing. I couldn’t believe it when the vet double checked I had poa when attending alone, even though I have been transporting both mil and her dog for years there and had regularly paid with the poa card.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I registered dad's LPA with his banks but no one ever asked about his pensions so like Marion i adopt a need to know basis. I am currently waiting for the LPA Health and the care homes I have visited have asked to see the LPA Finance.

MaNaAk

I should also say that I have POA over dad's finances and my brothers are both replacement attorneys although technically all three of us could be attorneys. I was chatting to a friend about this and she said it's best, in my case, to have me as attorney and my brothers as replacements otherwise we could be at loggerheads with each other. Therefore I have done the same with the POA for Health my brothers are fine about this and we should avoid future confrontations. The fee that dad paid for the financial one was £110 and when he appleid for the Health POA it was reduced to £82! We were very pleased!

MaNaAk