Can I ... Should I?

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
I just want to add a word about the possible carers group.
I was Caught out on Friday And had to go to a meeting and had no one to mind OH. So I rang the next larger place - a city - got into a “carers” group there and was able to take my man and leave him there for 3 hours - solved my problem but the best part was the welcome ! My husband was spotted immediately by staff member who took him in hand and off they went .. “hello - let me get you a cup of tea and then we will settle you in”
I had confidence then - and the place looked busy and interesting - prob my first really good carer experience !!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

@Mudgee Joy how lovely that your man was given such a warm welcome by the carers' group! Of course that is how it should be but it seems it rarely actually happens :(

Sam, I hope your day goes well (((hugs)))

I can imagine how dodgy it might sound to a stranger if you were heard telling your PWD to transfer money. As has been said, reporting this is the correct thing to do - but can cause a lot of hassle for the carer.

Better go, Skycat wants cuddles and will stand on my keyboard if she doesn't get it! :)

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
No, despite trying several instruments as a child, I don't play anything now - although I do enjoy singing. When I referred to 'keyboard' I was talking about my comp :)
I had a recorder as a child, mum said it's was like listening to a cat screaming its last breath :D
Hence I'm not very musical instruments minded lol
Nearest I get to a key board is on here.
Probably safer for mankind, my singing is on par with above :eek:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I played the recorder at junior school (played the bass recorder as I was one of the few big enough to manage it), also had a go at euphonium and clarinet. Much prefer to sing!

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
On a total different subject, I've read in news today that a 95 year old dementia sufferer is suspected of the murder of his 61 year old carer. The man won't have a clue what he's done, and the poor carer. RIP. Her family and his must be devastated.

I hate this disease

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
On a total different subject, I've read in news today that a 95 year old dementia sufferer is suspected of the murder of his 61 year old carer. The man won't have a clue what he's done, and the poor carer. RIP. Her family and his must be devastated.

I hate this disease

That’s awful. I’ve not seen that anywhere, I’ll have to take a read about :-(

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent

I hate this disease
I saw that report and just felt such despair for the elderly gentleman and of course the carer who has lost her life and both families. Devastating vile illness.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Margi, I haven't seen that report. How utterly awful for everyone involved :(

WE had a call this morning from my BFF, inviting us over for a cream tea this afternoon. It would have been rude to refuse ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Mum was very unsteady this morning, although she’s spent the day in the garden, she’s looking very vacant & is not “happy”. It’s like it’s just too much effort for her

I think she’s going to bed soon.

She seems to age almost daily :-(

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Mum was very unsteady this morning, although she’s spent the day in the garden, she’s looking very vacant & is not “happy”. It’s like it’s just too much effort for her

I think she’s going to bed soon.

She seems to age almost daily :-(
Is it possible she’s going down with something?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Is it possible she’s going down with something?

I don’t think so, it’s like she loses a bit more each day. She sleeps, wakes with a start & is so obviously lost, no clue as to where, what or why, then picks up a book, or grabs at her drink ... the sort of reaction you or I would have at realising somethings not right & trying to pretend all is ok. It just makes me so sad to see this

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
No wonder I’m getting the carers mixed up, we had 14 different carers last week! I was thinking I must be getting a rubbish memory myself as I can’t seem to remember who any of them are, so I checked through the rota.... so much for “regular core carers” that we were promised

I’m so fed up with calling the office complaining about times, changes to times they don’t bother to tell me about, but a different Carer for every single call is ridiculous

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
No wonder I’m getting the carers mixed up, we had 14 different carers last week! I was thinking I must be getting a rubbish memory myself as I can’t seem to remember who any of them are, so I checked through the rota.... so much for “regular core carers” that we were promised

I’m so fed up with calling the office complaining about times, changes to times they don’t bother to tell me about, but a different Carer for every single call is ridiculous
I agree, it's just not right, don't the company realise that dementia needs some consistency ?? Fools !!!

Was at mums last night, think I got the better night :eek:

In comparison to carer on Friday, mum was in bed at 12, then up and down all night till 5 when she decided on a shower, carer gave her breakfast around 6 and left at 8. Mum told me later that day, nobody had been :rolleyes:

My sister stayed over on Saturday night, in the morning mum said ' my daughter bought me this new kettle and toaster ' my sister said ' yes I did "
Mum said ' your not my younger daughter or my eldest daughter ' my sister was absolutely gutted, she cried over phone to me . Damn disease !!!!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all (and it is another glorious one here in sunny Poole!),

Sam, I know how hard it is to see our PWDs gradually eaten by this vile disease :(

Margi, you too. I am sorry your sis was so upset.

Huge, squishy (((hugs))) to you all.