Just found out

reedart

May 24, 2018
Hi everyone,
I’ve just today been to my GP after a year of plucking up the courage. I told her my concerns and she did a test straight away and told me I was borderline for Alzheimer’s. I was crying during the test with frustration as didn’t have all the answers. I’m now being referred for more tests & scan. I’m 63 married with children and grandchildren and terrified of the future. I haven’t told anyone, infact I’m now beginning to think the doctor has made a mistake but deep down I sort of know.
I feel I can’t tell my husband as he would be devastated. I think I should wait until I’ve had further tests. It’s totally consuming my thoughts.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hello Reedart,

I am sad that the GPs test indicates that you could have Alzheimers, and am not surprised its consuming your thoughts. Please have a think about telling your husband as he may be able to reassure and support you. There is lots of information on this site if you want to find out a bit more and the helpline if you would like to speak to someone about your concerns.

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Please keep posting and let us know how we can help you through this.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @reedart - I'm so sorry to read your news.

I agree with Soobee - your husband would be able to help and support you through this. Please think about telling him. I know it won't be easy.

I knew from the beginning about my husband's diagnosis and I'm glad I did. I'm not saying it was easy but I felt we were facing it all together.

I'm glad you've felt you could share on the forum and I hope it helps to talk here.

reedart

May 24, 2018
Hi @reedart - I'm so sorry to read your news.

I agree with Soobee - your husband would be able to help and support you through this. Please think about telling him. I know it won't be easy.

I knew from the beginning about my husband's diagnosis and I'm glad I did. I'm not saying it was easy but I felt we were facing it all together.

I'm glad you've felt you could share on the forum and I hope it helps to talk here.
Thank you Izzy I really appreciate your interaction with me. My husband gave me his kidney 17 years ago, so this would just be another massive blow. I know he would be supportive but it’s too much too soon.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I totally understand. You need to do what you think is right for you. Soobee gave the details for the Helpline. Why not give them a ring and have a chat. Whatever you decide please keep posting here. You will get lots of support on the forum.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Can I ask what your symptoms have been? Maybe your husband is aware there’s something wrong?
I hope you find it in you to share your concerns with him so you can support each other.