Preventing mum using her Electric cooker

cazuk

Oct 31, 2011
Hi there,
My mum has vascular dementia and lives in Sussex while I live in London.
Her carers tell me that although they do her cooking she is still using her oven.

Do you know if there is anything I can put on the elctric cooker that only allows them to use it but my mum not to?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Would it be possible to turn the cooker off at the fuse box? Then the carers can turn it on there...and off when they leave.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I don't know about all cookers but on mine you can just pull the knobs off, I guess for cleaning, same on the hob. Without the knobs it's not possible to turn it on, as long as the carers know where they're kept and don't let mum see them hiding them.
There are devices available which are meant for use with children to stop them turning ovens and hobs on, if you google for "child proof oven" there's quote a few but I think a determine adult could get one off but if you pull at in then the knobs come off, so why not just take them off yourself.
K

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
If you google it you will find some things that can cover the oven switch and locked with a key, but this could cause problems for carers if they forget to do this after use, or the key is lost! Have you thought about repositioning the main switch into a cupboard or somewhere out of her sight, an electrician could sort this for you and may even have some suggestions for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet