A quick question about LPAs

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Oh my goodness £25 per copy! Is this just copies of the stamped LPA or newly verified LPA by the solicitor themselves?

The solicitor has kept the original (I'm glad, I wouldn't want the responsibility in case I lost it!) The £25 is for a verified copy. He initials/signs each page to verify it.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Oh fair enough if he is verifying it each time, but I would have thought the stamped original should be as good as a verified copy, so we intend to take a scan of it (when we do get it!) to use when necessary and keep the original in a safe place with my dad..

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Nobody will accept a scan. You have to produce the original or a certified copy (signed on every page). The institution concerned will then scan it from you.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
So if the LPA is required to be sent to someone, you have to send the original (stamped) LPA or a certified copy of the original?

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
yes, but we advise to NEVER send the original anywhere in the post as you cannot get replacements. I had 3 certified copies (certified by a solicitor).

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You never ever ever send the original away. You only ever send a certified copy - that's exactly what they are for. Of course if you make a bank appointment, you can take the original for them to copy there and then, but you make sure you get all the pages back.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thank you both! Having learnt that the Royal Mail can lose such a document, even through one of their facilities where the receiver has to sign for it, I wouldn't send the original anywhere!!:)

Last edited: