Cash purchases

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Can anyone give me advise when shopping with cash. I think I hand over the right cash but the cashier says I haven’t then when I do get change I get confused and don’t know what amount it is. I get embarrassed and cross with myself.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Most debit cards now have a function that you can pay for goods under £30 simply by touching the card on the card reader, without the use of the pin. Could you try that?

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
Most debit cards now have a function that you can pay for goods under £30 simply by touching the card on the card reader, without the use of the pin. Could you try that?
I was only paying for two bottles of water and sweets. Should I use my card for such small purchases?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
That is a nuisance with contactless, if you cannot remember your pin. You never know when you will be asked for the pin. One method you could use is to always hand over more cash than you need. I mean, use a £2 coin for a small purchase, or a £5 note for something a bit bigger...and then the shop staff work out the change for you. I know this means that you do have to trust whoever is serving you, but if you go to supermarkets then the change is worked out automatically.
My husband did this for quite a while, when he could no longer recognise different notes and coins.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I know this sounds simplistic, but I'm wondering if it might be easier with a really well organized wallet - one with a slot for each bill denomination?

I know there are wallets designed for blind people that not only have searate slots for paper money but also separate pouches for coins.

Jorbin

Jan 30, 2018
I know this sounds simplistic, but I'm wondering if it might be easier with a really well organized wallet - one with a slot for each bill denomination?

I know there are wallets designed for blind people that not only have searate slots for paper money but also separate pouches for coins.
Yes. My purse is like that.

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
The contactless is really good too if you want to check your bank statements. It will tell you where you spent your money. If you just pay with cash you don't know where it goes! I prefer to pay with contactless for this reason.