Cataract successfully removed

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
i just wanted to post a follow up to my earlier thread. My mother was diagnosed needing cataract surgery in both eyes on 11/4/18. Since then she had been deeply anxious about the matter, her father having been gassed in WW 1 and suffering grave damage to his sight. Mum is ultra sensitive to anything about eyes. I posted a thread seeking help as my mum was asking repeatedly the same questions, but my answers and reassurances were instantly forgotten. Thank you for the past replies and advice. Well within hours of the surgery my mum was overjoyed with the sight improvement, despite looking through a perplex eye shield, with a sore eye and no glasses to aid her. “I can see the difference. I can see the individual roof tiles on the roofs over the road”. Hopefully the knitting and reading can now restart. Her confidence and general mood improve.

The repeated questioning goes on but now when will the other eye get done? All the anxiety forgotten at least for now. Thanks again for the answers to my earlier threads.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
That's great - I've had the operations myself, and I can see better now than I could when I was sixteen - I'm so glad your Mum is enjoying the benefit as well.

MIL had her second one done after she developed Alzheimer's and spent half her time moaning and groaning, saying there was no difference at all, and she didn't know why she bothered. She spent the other half of the time commenting on cobwebs on the ceiling, cracks in the plasterwork and the fact that my husbands complexion looked terrible....! At least we knew she was seeing better, even if she didn't!

When everything is confusing, having good eyesight must help, mustn't it? So well done you for getting her through it.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Thank you for this. My husband is on. Awaiting list at the moment. Did your mum have a general or local anaesthetic? The original surgeon said it would be a local, but now they say it may be a general.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
MIL had a local anaesthetic which just involved lots of eye drops. She then had to be able to lie very still for the op, which she was able to do at that time. She had help after with the little plastic eye protector that needed to be taped over her eye for 24 (?) hours, and the copious number of eye drops that had to be applied following the op.

Hope all goes well for your OH - I suppose you will just have to be guided by his surgeon re anaesthetic.

Tragicuglyducky

Apr 4, 2016
Yes, I guess so...but it helps to know what has happened with others. Thank you very much.

Dad had right eye done pre dementia and recently had left eye done. For consultation for the second eye we had been told they didn’t recommend surgery because of dementia, then we were recommended surgery with sedation, then on the day we were told sedation would make dementia worse so went with local. The surgeon and nurses described him as a “star patient”. It was more stress for me and my brother than it was for dad.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Dad had right eye done pre dementia and recently had left eye done. For consultation for the second eye we had been told they didn’t recommend surgery because of dementia, then we were recommended surgery with sedation, then on the day we were told sedation would make dementia worse so went with local. The surgeon and nurses described him as a “star patient”. It was more stress for me and my brother than it was for dad.
I have volunteered my sister to hold my husband’s hand. She was a midwife so is used to blood and guts. I will comfort him when it is all safely covered up!

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
That's great - I've had the operations myself, and I can see better now than I could when I was sixteen - I'm so glad your Mum is enjoying the benefit as well.

MIL had her second one done after she developed Alzheimer's and spent half her time moaning and groaning, saying there was no difference at all, and she didn't know why she bothered. She spent the other half of the time commenting on cobwebs on the ceiling, cracks in the plasterwork and the fact that my husbands complexion looked terrible....! At least we knew she was seeing better, even if she didn't!

When everything is confusing, having good eyesight
Hi Malalie.

JBK

Feb 25, 2018

Hi Malalie
Great to hear the cataract op was so successful.
I care for OH & have been diagnosed with cataracts, however I'm not nervous for myself. I am rather anxious though wondering how I will be able to manage caring for him in the days following the op.

Do you or anyone else reading this have any experience of this please?

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Thank you for this. My husband is on. Awaiting list at the moment. Did your mum have a general or local anaesthetic? The original surgeon said it would be a local, but now they say it may be a general.

Hello sorry for the delay in replying but my mum is like a jack in the box. Went to the garden centre today and she wanted to look closely at all the different types of leaf. Wants to know when the second eye will be done, with no anxiety at all. My mum had a local anaesthetic. I had gone back to the eye clinic to explain where my mum was at and confirm her high anxiety level. At the initial consultation it was hard to say anything, my mum being in complete denial of any memory problem. The nurse kindly went through the decision making process on the day of surgery. A local is applied and the surgeon will then review to see if they are dealing with a “roving eye”, namely can the person follow instructions and keep the eye steady. Any problem and switch to a general. More importantly will the person lay still for about twenty minutes? No and a general will be used. Different hospitals/surgeons may vary in their decision making process. I hope all goes well and a local is used. My mum’s spirits have really lifted.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I am so pleased to hear about your mum Whisperer.

I found out recently a relative of mine is developing early cataracts, she's only 55 but has diabetes.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Hi Malalie
Great to hear the cataract op was so successful.
I care for OH & have been diagnosed with cataracts, however I'm not nervous for myself. I am rather anxious though wondering how I will be able to manage caring for him in the days following the op.

Do you or anyone else reading this have any experience of this please?
Hello. I have been administering the eye drops for my mum. Every four hours day time for two weeks then two weeks every eight hours day time. The instructions were clear but the solution is a little sticky and can take a few seconds to drop into the lower eye lid sack. One warning is get some moisturiser and apply it to the cheek and forehead for a few days before the operation. It softens the skin which otherwise can get rubbed up removing the eye patch each morning for the first week. You have to tape it into position. Hope the above helps.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello sorry for the delay in replying but my mum is like a jack in the box. Went to the garden centre today and she wanted to look closely at all the different types of leaf. Wants to know when the second eye will be done, with no anxiety at all. My mum had a local anaesthetic. I had gone back to the eye clinic to explain where my mum was at and confirm her high anxiety level. At the initial consultation it was hard to say anything, my mum being in complete denial of any memory problem. The nurse kindly went through the decision making process on the day of surgery. A local is applied and the surgeon will then review to see if they are dealing with a “roving eye”, namely can the person follow instructions and keep the eye steady. Any problem and switch to a general. More importantly will the person lay still for about twenty minutes? No and a general will be used. Different hospitals/surgeons may vary in their decision making process. I hope all goes well and a local is used. My mum’s spirits have really lifted.
Thank you so much for this comprehensive post. How very kind of you to go to so much trouble. We have just had the letter through for the pre op assessment, and I was going to,push for a local, because I was scared, and didn’t understand the procedure. Now I feel I am really going to the meeting with him, knowing what it is all about and knowing what to expect. And the calmer I am, the calmer my husband will be.
I really am grateful.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello. I have been administering the eye drops for my mum. Every four hours day time for two weeks then two weeks every eight hours day time. The instructions were clear but the solution is a little sticky and can take a few seconds to drop into the lower eye lid sack. One warning is get some moisturiser and apply it to the cheek and forehead for a few days before the operation. It softens the skin which otherwise can get rubbed up removing the eye patch each morning for the first week. You have to tape it into position. Hope the above helps.
I’m going to do this too! I don’t know how he will take to moisturiser!!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
MIL had a local anaesthetic which just involved lots of eye drops. She then had to be able to lie very still for the op, which she was able to do at that time. She had help after with the little plastic eye protector that needed to be taped over her eye for 24 (?) hours, and the copious number of eye drops that had to be applied following the op.

Hope all goes well for your OH - I suppose you will just have to be guided by his surgeon re anaesthetic.

Hi! We're waiting for an appointment with the district nurse to discuss dad having his cataracts removed with sedation and local anaesthetic so I'm following this thread closely.

MaNaAk

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Hi! We're waiting for an appointment with the district nurse to discuss dad having his cataracts removed with sedation and local anaesthetic so I'm following this thread closely.

MaNaAk
Hello
Hope all goes well. My mother is in the early stages of Dementia. There was no concern about her keeping still but I was worried her high level of anxiety would cause problems. As I explained in my initial thread she was very sensitive about eye issues, because of what happened to her dad. Each case would have to be assessed by the health professionals based on the PWD actual condition and circumstances. I was lucky going back to the unit between the initial consultation and the actual date of surgery. I met a nurse who took me into a private room, explained what happens on the day and how the surgeon would weigh matters at that time. I stress this was one unit in one hospital, but I assume in a national health service matters are pretty similar across the country. Last night with the eye shield. I had no problem with my mum pulling it off, etc, she has been okay with all the drops if I remind her a few minutes before hand I will need to do it. I hold an LPA for health and welfare but was not asked for it at any point. Everyone at the eye unit was very helpful, kind and supportive. I hope your journey also goes smoothly.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Thank you so much for this comprehensive post. How very kind of you to go to so much trouble. We have just had the letter through for the pre op assessment, and I was going to,push for a local, because I was scared, and didn’t understand the procedure. Now I feel I am really going to the meeting with him, knowing what it is all about and knowing what to expect. And the calmer I am, the calmer my husband will be.
I really am grateful.

Hello
Just to stress I got my more detailed information going back to the unit after the initial consultation. My mum’s denial of the memory problem curtailed what I could say. I had put down the background on the health questionnaire, but on the day that was taken away then I was off with my mum to different rooms for testing, then see the consultant, then another person to get an actual surgery date. Mum got more and more anxious as time went by after that day and I wanted to ensure my information had been seen. The nurse I saw was so very helpful, I came away reassured the decision making process on the day would work for my mum. You are in a way in the “driving seat” for your other half, so at the initial consultation you might want to ask your own questions. I do not know your personal circumstances but with mum it was impossible to say to much. Total denial may help the PWD, which I can understand as I might do the same, but it can get in the way at times.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello
Hope all goes well. My mother is in the early stages of Dementia. There was no concern about her keeping still but I was worried her high level of anxiety would cause problems. As I explained in my initial thread she was very sensitive about eye issues, because of what happened to her dad. Each case would have to be assessed by the health professionals based on the PWD actual condition and circumstances. I was lucky going back to the unit between the initial consultation and the actual date of surgery. I met a nurse who took me into a private room, explained what happens on the day and how the surgeon would weigh matters at that time. I stress this was one unit in one hospital, but I assume in a national health service matters are pretty similar across the country. Last night with the eye shield. I had no problem with my mum pulling it off, etc, she has been okay with all the drops if I remind her a few minutes before hand I will need to do it. I hold an LPA for health and welfare but was not asked for it at any point. Everyone at the eye unit was very helpful, kind and supportive. I hope your journey also goes smoothly.

Thankyou Whisperer!

MaNaAk

Carolyn B

Apr 29, 2018
North West
OMG lazer surgery is a miracle. I have had it done myself. The PWD (I hate acronyms so my Person with dementia) has been told she may need it in the next couple of years. So I hope she remembers my fantastic results but I doubt it. Fortunately she weirdly seems quite calm in medical situations. But yes it's amazing results. So glad it was succssful for your PWD.