Incontinence but refusing to change clothes

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Hi

My father has recently started to get incontinent and he has wet himself a few times. He refuses to acknowledge this or change his trousers. Trousers and clothes haven't been changed for months.

Mum refusing care still from outside agencies yet is distressed at dad's personal care.

Unsure what to do. Any advice?

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Just refuses to change any clothes. Worn same trousers for 3 months. Sleeps in them. Impossible to try and get off without threats of physical abuse.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Just refuses to change any clothes. Worn same trousers for 3 months. Sleeps in them. Impossible to try and get off without threats of physical abuse.
Perhaps encouraging mum to change her mind about help is key here. I know it's hard, really I do. All sympathy to you.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I had exactly the same problem with my dad. I could see sometimes that he had wet himself after going to the toilet, but he would never acknowledge this and he also refused to change his trousers. The same went for the top half of clothes. I eventually got around this, by either accidentally allowing him to spill a drink down himself or food down his top half. He often would sit with a cup of tea in his lap and then nod off, I just made sure it was never too hot as the last thing I wanted to cope with was burns around that area as well.

After spilling the drink, I didn't give him a choice, I told him he would have to change and he usually accepted this.

The other way I found around this problem was not to give him a choice, I never asked him to change his clothes or if he wanted to do it. I kind of treated him like you would a child, I just told him we were going to do it. I would just get myself all prepared with a large towel, flannel, a bowl of warm soapy water, a change of clothing and I would just tell him we were going to change him as I was about to do some washing and I wanted to add them to the wash. He always complied then and he actually enjoyed having his top half done as he liked his back being scrubbed, so I used to remind him of this, I kind of made it into a bit of a fun game.

Regarding the bottom half I used the towel to preserve his modesty, whilst he removed his trousers etc and I gave him the flannel to wash himself. I usually managed to do this once or twice a week but it's better than not at all and he always said afterwards that he felt so much better.

Occasionally he would still refuse to change his trousers so you have to know when to accept it's not going to be done and when to just take over, you just have to learn to be cunning and pick your moments. You do eventually win. I also always found with my dad that he refused to change or wash in the mornings, but in the afternoons he was more willing as he was more used to washing in the afternoon after he used to come home from work, he used to be a builder and always washed when he came home. So think about what his routine used to be like and try to mirror it.

Hope this helps.
Elle x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I've had the same problem with my dad, and still do from time to time so I know how unpleasant the odours can be. I use similar tactics to @Elle3 but I've also found that the promise of a treat outing (to get fish and chips or something similar) will give me an excuse to say he needs a change, wash and shave.

If dad's only a little bit wet he won't change but if he's soaked it's easier to convince him. I have also noticed that he's more cooperative with people in uniform so I'm trying to get carers morning and night.
Could you keep nudging your mum in the direction of accepting carers?
Pull-ups work well, but it's difficult to convince dad to wear them.

ChiaraFi

May 8, 2018
Suggestions above are great. Particularly the promise of an outing. I have recently got washable incontinence pants for my Dad (they have a sort of built in pad) to deal with small accidents. I appreciate that if your Dad refuses to change his trousers this may not help, but perhaps something to consider in the future.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
This may be a bit abstract, however, the idea come from a book I'm reading at the moment.

This habitual behaviour in a person with dementia, like wearing the same clothes all the time, can be driven by what is known as 'comfortable remnants'. In their present confusing world the person will cling to something that is a remnant from their past, with which they are comfortable and by which they are reassured. Do the clothes being worn have any ties to the past, like a banker always wearing the same suit or a mechanic always wearing the same overalls? If so a fresh 'duplicate' may be accepted on the basis that 'you want to look your best for work, the club, or whatever'.

If you can see any basis for this in your own situation it may be worth a try. Otherwise you may dismiss it a psychological babble.

uktoday

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks so much for these. Yes option of treat sounds a great idea. Dad v stubborn thou but will give it a go. Totally fed up with it all. Stubborn parents don't make life easier!!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I fear that your biggest problem, is your mothers refusal to allow outside help.
If this is not overcome, then things will get out of control, and Social services will take over.

Bod