Mum's coming home

Lily1

Feb 6, 2018
Mum was cleared to come home 2 weeks ago from the respite nursing home and it has been a struggle to get carers in place,the waiting list with s services was months long a no no to me, she’s recovered from the delirium episode, and is more than ready, in fact the nursing home were concerned that any delay could set her back.Thankfully after about a zillion calls and emails I found a firm that can provide care until her care package can be sorted. It won’t be a picnic I know, but she’s back to her for now and will also have the extra support she needs. It’s such a rollercoaster! Every care provider I contacted was telling me how they are overwhelmed with calls, there’s simply not enough care workers to supply the need.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I'm also hoping that she settles back easily. Please keep us updated on how it's going. It is a shame that everywhere is inundated.

Crazylady

Apr 23, 2018
Mum was cleared to come home 2 weeks ago from the respite nursing home and it has been a struggle to get carers in place,the waiting list with s services was months long a no no to me, she’s recovered from the delirium episode, and is more than ready, in fact the nursing home were concerned that any delay could set her back.Thankfully after about a zillion calls and emails I found a firm that can provide care until her care package can be sorted. It won’t be a picnic I know, but she’s back to her for now and will also have the extra support she needs. It’s such a rollercoaster! Every care provider I contacted was telling me how they are overwhelmed with calls, there’s simply not enough care workers to supply the need.
Hi Lily,finding care is a nightmare!! Before my dad moved in his career home,he was in a retirement complex,very posh but he was a lot less with it than all the other people.We had one care agency that we weren't at all happy with but had been recommended by the warden.So then we got a private carer who was quite unprofessional.By the time we moved dad into his care home he needed 4 care calls a day & she couldn't provide that.It was awful,he had to go into hospital 3 times until we finally got him into residential care.Of course now that he has 24/7 care he's loads better physically so wants to move back to his old flat.I feel your pain,best wishes to you & your mum,Jane.

Lily1

Feb 6, 2018
@Crazylady @Soobee @karaokePete Mum’s back just over a week now and has got very frail and frightened. Thankfully her respiratory conditions are ok. She’s just been to the memory clinic and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, the delirium has lifted but there’s definitely a pattern to her memory loss, she can’t see it and refused to go back into the doctor at the end, so it’s a case of reassuring and trying to stop her fear. She’ll be starting Memantine this week which will hopefully help her anxiety and sleep at night which is up and down at present, her appetite isn’t good either. In a way it’s good to know what’s going on but also a bit scary at the same time. Keeping her safe and happy will be the main thing!

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
HI Lily1, at least she is back now and the delirium has gone. How do you feel about the diagnosis and treatment? I hope that Memantine helps her.

Lily1

Feb 6, 2018
I’m relieved that at least there’s something to be done and if the Memantine gives mum ( and us)some respite then that’d be great, I’m hoping it’ll take the edge of her ansxiety away. It’s tough though realising that mum will gradually disappear so even with the problems at the minute it’s good to have her as her if you know what I mean! I’m still encouraging independence and it was reassuring to hear that we did the right thing taking her home, the familiarity and company are helping her. I’m so glad we got the carers in the morning and now the OT will be out as well to see if there’s anything to help mum at home plus now we can push for more care to come too.The doctor at the memory clinic was great, she listened to mum unlike some other meds and treated her as a person in her own right, she’s arranged for the next appointment to be at a centre closer to home too. The hard thing is mum knows something nots right but she’s not ready or may never be ready to face it, the doctor though said not to worry, as even if mum was told, she would get distressed and worry, then forget and could well continue the cycle each time she remembered. The doctor was going to try to raise it in some way but mum refused to go back in to see her at the end, I think because she was afraid. But we can cope with that, it’s just hard to say yes you’re getting better(she keeps asking when she’ll be back to her as normal again)
but if it reassures her then that’s what we’ll do.