You’ve got to laugh...

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
My thread is

My thread is called, ‘Can I have time off to be ill?’ Here is a link. There is no way you will be able to read it all, I thas been going for months...but feel free to pop in any time!

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/can-i-have-time-off-to-be-ill.103212/page-103
With my day off work I went to your thread. Who knew it would be over 100 pages! Good work @Amethyst59 ! I have been tempted to visit it because I had that feeling in December. However, as you know I've been preoccupied with other drama. During the many doctor visits regarding OH and his almost back surgery I had to cancel my appointments to have my gall bladder removed in 2016. I wasn't having a lot of problems but I knew I had a gall stone the size of a grape in it and it was suggested that I remove the whole gall bladder. It's a way common surgery here. Kept putting it off. Thanksgiving night (oh that made me laugh, y'all don't have Thanksgiving!) ....let's see...one night in November with my house full of company I began suffering severe pain. OH said as we went to bed, we need to go to the emergency room and then rolled over and went to sleep. Son #2 was here and I went to him in the middle of the night and asked him not to leave because he might have to drive me to the hospital. Being more rational then me at the time, he said, "No might, we are going now." I woke OH and said I was leaving for ER and he said, "Wait for me, I'll get dressed." I would be dead by then and he rolled over and went back to sleep. They gave me pain meds and could only assume it was gall bladder. Woke up OH on return and he asked why didn't he go? This was before diagnosis. Surgery was scheduled and he insisted on being my caretaker. He couldn't take care of himself. SS had to come get him and Son #1 and DIL took care of me. We must all take care of ourselves.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I can’t see my reply !!! We must wear them on the planes !! Solves the weight problem:) :D

Hi again Mudge we can be like the kids one used to see on night flights, already in their pyjamas for the journey. (Parents no doubt praying it would encourage them to sleep. Ha very ha.). C. xxx

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
@carolynp @Mudgee Joy you are both stars, AND you have so much to contend with too. Our OHs are so similar in traits that I really did have to laugh. A gentle man but clearly can be sneaky; doesn’t think the D word applies to him because his memory is fine; checking doors incessantly as the evening wears on; going to bed very early, unless I manage to engage his attention with a program, then up and down the stairs all evening; all these just for starters. When he’s good, he’s very very good but when he’s bad he’s horrid! Never has that nursery rhyme been more accurate. He is so much calmer now and I think he was playing up after I had been away all day. He enjoyed a visit to the family, asking the grandchildren the same questions and calling them by the wrong names, but they are fantastic and answer patiently and don’t seem to worry. Youngsters can soak up things where adults get anxious. My son is going to come on Thursday after work while I go to the cinema, I really need some support now. The memory clinic nurse is coming tomorrow to assess his response to Donepezil. It’s a week later than it should have been because he has nearly run out but they are so busy. She also said she would fill me in on services available in our area. Thank you TP friends for your kind words.

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
Hi all. I don't post very often but read every day Thanks for all the tips etc It's also good to know I'm not alone in this dreadful journey.

I was very surprised to hear that after carers assessment I have been awarded £500 this year to help pay for a sitter with OH while I have some time to myself. Does anyone have experience of this please ?

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Yes I have two carers that come in for my respite :)- one i pay wages and my OH thinks she is a house cleaner - but he isn’t happy when she is here a long time-( I go away to work once a fortnight and it’s a long day for him. )
Our other carer is a bloke - He has been here 3 times and 2 hours each time - he is Govt subsidised !! And he is great - my H talk of him as a friend - but he is very busy with other customers and we can’t get him more often than once a week so far - but I get a great mental rest when he comes !!
Wishing you All the best - MJ

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
At the end of the day / when my H is most strange - I like to read your threads and get to know you all a little - and divert myself from the weird world we live in.. love to all xxx

Speaking of Most Strange, tonight mine decided to go to bed (where he has been resting all day, sighing LOUDLY when I made too much noise cooking/washing dishes/doing laundry/walking down corridor/breathing) at six pm, as he is exhausted, presumably from having to listen to me. He did one round, peering out the lounge room window. Pottered off again, front door, back door, laundry (?) ... AND BACK TO THE LOUNGE ROOM AGAIN! This time with a torch! Peered through the window, clicked torch on and off ... I gave up trying to ignore it and asked him what he could possibly be DOING? He was checking to see the front garden was all right.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I really have had a laugh reading the recent posts, I chuckled like anything at the images of ladies in robes and hair curlers boarding planes. The strangest thing is happening regarding evening drinks which are such a ritual for him. I have found a non alcoholic rosé which he really likes and he has started behaving as if it is alcoholic. He is drinking it as if it is water the way he used to drink the real thing. He is drinking me out of the stuff and I have to go out and buy more at the only supermarket that stocks it. I can’t complain but the occasional glass of water gets handed to him. He even went and opened a new bottle before the old bottle was finished as if he didn’t want me to ration him and had to be secretive about it. What an ogre I am! The way the affected mind works is quite baffling, but perhaps like a small child who is not able to reason. We have mentioned this before and it is very childlike behaviour. I really do burst out laughing and he can chuckle too but don’t think he quite knows why!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have just changed my avatar as more and more flowers shine in the glorious weather. I saw earlier posts and realise that I had forgotten how to laugh or be happy because everything looked grim. Although the deterioration continues remorselessly, I am more used to coping now but only because of my lovely friends on the internet.