Hoists & hospital bed handling

Zuzu72

Mar 19, 2015
I've just taken delivery of a low profile hospital bed & a hoist today & mum's due from hospital tomorrow, mum's due to have 2 carers each visit. I'm just wondering whether you can push the side of the bed against a wall & whether the carers would still be able to use the hoist? Or do they need to be on both sides of the bed?

Mum is end stage & if the bed were against the wall that would be one side she couldn't fall out of & we have a crash mat on the other side
Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It depends, if someone is capably of sitting up on the edge off the bed then you can put thee sling on like that, if they're to be hoisted from a horizontal position then you would need access from both sides to get the sling under them. That said my wife's bed is against the wall and the carers just take the brakes off and pull it away from the wall, hoist her then push the bed back and put a wheelchair under her.
I'm surprised they're giving you a bed without bars if she's a fall risk, my wife's bed has side bars and lifts and lowers electrically as well as both ends elevating so she can sit up or have her feet elevated if needed.
K

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
If it has wheels can’t they just move it to get either side if there is enough room, or is that not practical. Also you could request ‘cot sides’ although I’m not sure if all places do them any more as some people climb over them and can do more harm.

Zuzu72

Mar 19, 2015
It depends, if someone is capably of sitting up on the edge off the bed then you can put thee sling on like that, if they're to be hoisted from a horizontal position then you would need access from both sides to get the sling under them. That said my wife's bed is against the wall and the carers just take the brakes off and pull it away from the wall, hoist her then push the bed back and put a wheelchair under her.
I'm surprised they're giving you a bed without bars if she's a fall risk, my wife's bed has side bars and lifts and lowers electrically as well as both ends elevating so she can sit up or have her feet elevated if needed.
K
I was surprised about side rails too, but they told me she could hurt herself trying to climb over the side rail or get her leg/ foot trapped in it. Thats why the bed is low profile & can go right to the floor.

Zuzu72

Mar 19, 2015
If it has wheels can’t they just move it to get either side if there is enough room, or is that not practical. Also you could request ‘cot sides’ although I’m not sure if all places do them any more as some people climb over them and can do more harm.
I've put it against the wall (having measured for about the 50th time it's the only way the stretcher could come in when she comes home tomorrow) so will see what happens after that, but hope it works because she can't fall out & she'll be able to see tv & window etc x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose