Plastic/waterproof floor mat/covering

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Dementia really 'rained' on my parade today when I left mum too long and my sleeve and arm got wet when I transferred her to the commode!

Anyway .... although there is wooden flooring in her bedroom, and she has, as yet, not trickled on the floor that much, I think if it seeps between floorboards, then it won't be long before we have a permanent aroma in the bedroom. I'm looking to find something that I can put under the commode area to protect from this. It has to be quite firm and rigid as we use a wheeled rotunda to transfer her from the wheelchair to the commode, and then to bed, so I don't want something that's going to stop the rotunda wheels moving freely as that will just cause me more aggro.

Does anyone else use something like this? Any recommendations? I'm thinking perhaps it might be better to buy something large and fit it around the whole area, so that from doorway, under wheelchair, commode and bedside, are all protected. I guess I could get someone in to lay some vinyl type floor covering over the floorboards (or just buy and lay it myself!), but moving the heavy hospital bed will be a bit of a challenge with that.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I was thinking vinyl flooring myself. Please think of getting someone in to lay it for you. They should be able to work out the best way to accomplish that.

acorns

Jan 25, 2018
What about puppy liners? Not sure how they'd work on a wooden floor but they work in the bed and over a carpet ... Or maybe you could contact the continence nurse for assistance?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I bought an offcut of vinyl type fabric in an end of roll shop - not sure if it was flooring or tablecloth and put it on the floor to cover the carpet when my daughter was small, it went under her high chair - it would have worked to move something wheeled across it, so would a largish piece put under commode work?

This is a link to PVC tablecloth fabric which might work but I'm sure what I bought was cushioned vinyl (it was from this shop)

https://www.abakhan.co.uk/fabric.html?cat=78

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
DunElm do plastic tablecloth/oilcloth by the meter, but I think it would be v slippery when wet.

Many of the carpet warehouse places on retail parks sell off odd sized pieces quite cheaply. 3' wide by 10' long might just fit your bill, where as it wouldn't do such as a kitchen so is usually cheap

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
How about a few large rubber backed mats - they would have the advantage of not being slippery if they do get wet, and you could replace them or wash them if they get soiled.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Amazon do plastic non slip runners about the width of a wheelchair. I have one at the side of Johns bed leading to the en suite. It was about a tenner and has been pretty good.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy