Yesterday Evening!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello again!

Yesterday evening I was leaving for an orchestra rehearsal when the carer turned up. Dad was okay when he first met this carer but the following week she was forced to leave and last night I introduced them again and he told her to leave. Therefore when she came out of the living room I suggested that she sit in the kitchen and just keep an eye on things. She did this and I left. Now I couldn't turn on my mobile phone because I was going to a rehearsal but when I got there was a phone call from my youngest brother saying that the care agency had rung and that we can't go on like this so you should do something or I will. I then read the care plan and it seemed that dad had come into the kitchen and told the carer to leave. The carer, who can't spell properly, said that dad was violent or rather 'vilent' when he asked her to leave so she left but apparently he followed her out to the car and began knocking on the car window asking her to take the care plan. He was also saying that he pays rent for the house that he actually bought and as this is his house he doesn't want her, the carer, in it.

Anyway I get back from rehearsal to find this and obviously the agency tried to phone me but couldn't get through. When I read the word 'vilent' I didn't know what to think because dad has never been like this with any of us. Anyway the care manager phoned the next day and said that dad hadn't been violent but very aggressive but of course we can't go on like this. He has been aggressive with carers before but not like this. The care manager said that we'll see what he's like on Saturday with the next carer but otherwise he may need to go to the doctor to get medication for his aggression. I phoned the Alzheimers society today and they suggested that the agency either gets another carer and that I could get another agency involved to cover the extra care. This week has been tough what with the leader of my orchestra having terminal cancer.

MaNaAk

acorns

Jan 25, 2018
Mum was like that at the start - very proud and very angry about this stranger in the house - but when she got to know the first carer better she began to accept it. Maybe your dad would prefer a male carer (if they have such a thing), or an older carer? Hopefully it's just a personality clash. If he continues refusing people and you are feeling desperate then maybe you could try to find someone private whom you think he might like - just until he realises it's quite nice to have help then gradually bring back the agency people.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Mum was like that at the start - very proud and very angry about this stranger in the house - but when she got to know the first carer better she began to accept it. Maybe your dad would prefer a male carer (if they have such a thing), or an older carer? Hopefully it's just a personality clash. If he continues refusing people and you are feeling desperate then maybe you could try to find someone private whom you think he might like - just until he realises it's quite nice to have help then gradually bring back the agency people.
I had this too with OH. EVentually it got a bit better when I started to refer to them as his friends (rather than carer) and say how much they enjoyed his company ... I am so sorry, you are going through a tough time.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for your replies but unfortunately there have been a couple more incidents and today the carer was told to get out again and I think the care manager is going to ring tomorrow to terminate the contract. This makes it difficult for me because I live with dad and I am his main carer therefore my youngest brother and I are considering care homes. I thought that I could get a week's respite with one particular home but if dad starts to settle there it may be an idea to let him stay. It will be very sad to see him go but after two years of caring I feel I have done my best and will continue to do my best.

However because I am having to think about care homes quite quickly (and I have one in mind with one or two vacancies) I would be most grateful for some advice. If my brother and I decide to move dad permanently to this care home would it be an idea to bring just some of dad's belongings straight away or all of them? If we brought just some of them then I suppose we could pretend that he is going on holiday. Also I have heard that care homes like items to be labelled what labels should I be getting?

My brother who lives two hundred miles away says I should hang on a bit longer because of the finance and that I may lose the roof over my head because the house is in dad's name. However sometimes I have asked myself how long I can continue like this and not lose my sanity! This is a new chapter but for dad's sake I think it is best to make sure that he is safe first and then I can start to think about rebuilding my career as a music teacher and making sure that I have a roof on my head. Sometimes I worry that dad could be a danger to other people.

MaNaAk

Jenjune

Jul 19, 2015
Hi, I think you are very caring. My dad has dementia, he lives with my mother. He is not kind to her and behind closed doors aggressive and spiteful. He is very fit for his 86 years, mum is not so much. I worry about them both. Dad has been turned away from day care, he doesn't sit for 2 minutes constantly doing something but nothing. Dad has no hearing, this has gone completely in the last 3\5 years and only means of communicating is by a wipe board. Mum needs a regular break, so we are about to have dad taken out for exercise and contact with people which he enjoys. I have looked into a live in carer as the first option in the future. I made enquiries seeing a lot of value being able to remain around your own belongings. At present dad is able to manage personal care though needs prompting at times. Its worth researching as residential care is not without issues.

acorns

Jan 25, 2018
Perhaps you could try another care agency as a last resort before committing to the home -?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou everyone for your replies! My brother was here today with his partner and they were about to leave when the dementia nurse arrived. Anyway the nurse made a note of dad's medication and exclaimed that donepezil 5mg is not enough so she said that she is going to write to our GP and recommend that the dose be increased whilst dad goes into respite.We all thought that this would be a good idea. I was very interested when the nurse said that I am not coping to my brother who has been inclined to be virtually invisible (the other one is invisible). She said that she is referring us to a social worker and that when the dementia friend comes round next week I should discuss door sensors although I don't know whether this would be much use. She also said that we need to get Power Of Attorney for Health so I shall be referring to my notes on this. Anyway I'll let you know how I get on.

MaNaAk

acorns

Jan 25, 2018
I’m glad someone is helping you now. (Mum has bn on 10mg of donezipil for yrs but at point now of needing something more.) I found once mum was stabilised she cd go on again for a while - but if something like a fall or uti happened she went down a notch and it took a good deal of work to get her back on track - albeit at lower level. So it might take quite a bit of work to discuss and meet with the various bodies but if things settle you’ll be glad you tried. (That is if that is relevant in yr case.) Good luck!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I’m glad someone is helping you now. (Mum has bn on 10mg of donezipil for yrs but at point now of needing something more.) I found once mum was stabilised she cd go on again for a while - but if something like a fall or uti happened she went down a notch and it took a good deal of work to get her back on track - albeit at lower level. So it might take quite a bit of work to discuss and meet with the various bodies but if things settle you’ll be glad you tried. (That is if that is relevant in yr case.) Good luck!

Thankyou Acorn. I'll keep you posted. THe things we have to put up with, with this illness!

MaNaAk

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
What a difficult time for you MaNaAk. At least it sounds like your brother is thinking in a practical way. Its good that the dementia nurse came when he was there so he could hear it as it is. My mum did relatively well on the higher dose of donezepil, and mirtazapine and meant that she could stay at home to be looked after. Most of the carers were fond of her and she became cooperative. I do miss her an awful lot. I hope things become easier for you and your dad.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
What a difficult time for you MaNaAk. At least it sounds like your brother is thinking in a practical way. Its good that the dementia nurse came when he was there so he could hear it as it is. My mum did relatively well on the higher dose of donezepil, and mirtazapine and meant that she could stay at home to be looked after. Most of the carers were fond of her and she became cooperative. I do miss her an awful lot. I hope things become easier for you and your dad.

Dad started the higher dose yesterday and I got him into his pyjamas with virtually no aggro! Is this a fluke!

MaNaAk