Chest congestion

Bittermama

Jun 9, 2012
Kingston, Surrey
hello mum has been suffering from chest infections that leave her unable now to cough up any mucus/phlegm. She is very chesty and it won’t clear. She really needs to to able to cough it all up but is unable to. Has anyone else had to deal with this? We asked the doctor about physio, but he says she might not be able to stand someone banging her on the chest. Does anyone have any suggestions? MUm is virtually bed bound and late stage. Thank you

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Hi Bittermama.

The only suggestion would be to ask the GP to prescribe carbocisteine as it may loosen the secretions.

If she is unable to cough adequately then it may make no difference.

Also if she is dehydrated that will dry the secretions.

Baby Bunty

Jan 24, 2018
Thank you, I will ask GP.
Hi my mum is the same..4 course off abx and mum still chesty..she is also unable to cough up secretions.also bed bound..we ask for a SALT referal as concerned that mum will asprate ( she most probably as a little). There is a 6 week wait for SALT team..but i have requested for mum to be put on stage 1 thicken fluids and puree diet.which her gp agreed to this as really helped as chest sounds better.x

MamawMiss

May 17, 2018
My grandfather is bed ridden and has had a bad couch and unable to clear the phlegm. I want to know if anyone knows a way to induce or help him couch , he just really needs to clear it out , I think allot would start to get better if so. Please let me know if there’s something I can do !

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @MamawMiss
and welcome to TP
might you speak with your local pharmacist, who may have some suggestions
and also with your grandfather's GP, as they need to know if he is having any problems - ask if the GP can refer your grandfather to the SALT team

LouBear

Oct 3, 2016
Hi
My granddad is 94 and was diagnosed with vascular dementia almost 2 years ago. In December, he had a period of time in hospital with pneumonia which was followed by a subsequent chest infection in February. Granddad has never seemed to be able to clear either the cough or the congestion - the doctor has confirmed that there is no further infection but granddad still coughs to the point of bracing himself and regularly has to clear his throat/mouth from what he describes as excess water.
Granddad doesn't seem to have any issues with swallowing food but does cough more when he is drinking or taking tablets.
Does anyone else recognise this?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti