Stages of Alzheimers

jules

Hi,

Can anyone give me some idea as to what stage of the disease my mother is at the moment. Since diagnosis a few years ago we have been told no more about her condition and we don't see anyone only the C.P.N. every few months. I know we could ask her but the conversations with her are in front of my mother and I would rather not talk about it in front of her. Anyway at present my mother still knows who we are, she can just about eat by herself if things are cut up although she tends to make a mess, her walking has become a lot worse lately and she tends to shuffle and fall quite a lot, she tries to put the gas fire on but does not always do it properly, she can't wash or dress herself and needs to be supervised at all times. She is begining to do strange things such as put her false teeth in her glass of juice and complains about being too hot or too cold at the same time and also things are too tight or too heavy such as clothes etc. She does not get agressive though but very confused and gets annoyed with us as she says we don't give her things although she has everything she wants. I guess she is perhaps in the second stage of the disease but i'm not sure. Hope someone can enlighten me.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jules
I don't believe that stages can be measured exactly,people vary according to circumstances,drugs age etc.
My wife was diagnosed AD 7years ago and sounds to be in a similar condition to you Mum.
Have a look at Alzheimer's Society fact sheet 458,it might help .
Regards
Norman

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jules,

The Alzheimer's Society fact sheet that Norm mentions above is a very good guide, you can find it here:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/How_dementia_progresses/info_progression.htm

There is also a fact sheet on the later stages of dementia which you can find here:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/How_dementia_progresses/info_later.htm

There is also a useful fact sheet on the American Alzheimer's Association web site which you can find here:

http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/Stages.asp

The U.S. one is a bit different as it divides the progression of the disease into 7 stages. I also like their statement that "...all stages are artificial benchmarks in a continuous process that can vary greatly from one person to another."

A final article on this topic can be found on Beverly Bigtree Murphy's site, which is very much a personal creation, but does cite respected medical opinions:

http://www.bigtreemurphy.com/SOC STages of Alzheimer's.htm

This can be a very difficult topic for people with dementia and their carers. It's hard to get the balance right between getting enough information to be prepared for the future (as if, reading about something is never like experiencing it) and becoming morbidly focused on the possible future patterns of decline.

Take care,

Sandy

Last edited:

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Hello
I am sure that Norman and Sandy will have helped and pointed youin a good direction, just from my own point of view the first stages i noticed over the past 2-3 years is that Mum lost about 90% of her sight, which for anyone would naturally mean you would be less steady on your feet, she is still able to find her cigarettes AND light them though, but does occasionally drop the lighter etc, so is nearly always supervised and does go outside in the garden to smoke.

The next change I noticed is that she will forget very recent events until reminded (or at least helped along to remember) but can recite days from 10-15 years ago with total clarity. Old holidays etc......better than I can ... I struggle to remember what I did last week let alone where I was back then.

Shes a wonderful listener and rather than treating her as someone who is 'ill' I still treat her as my mum. We talk, laugh, joke and cry together, plan weekends and other activities and rummage about in the sweetie tin like kids.

really what I want to say is there is no 'stage' its a progressive thing but you have to tackle each day seperately, this is what makes things really hard cos you cant tell how it's going to turn out, you can only try your best and be supportive, loving, caring and understanding.

Sorry I cant be more helpful, but please dont always feel that you have to shut your mum out, she might be going blind but she isnt deaf !! If you keep talking about her without including her she will naturally come to the opinion that you might be plotting against her. We include Mum in everything, and that includes the sunday roast where she happily helps to chop and mash everything (makes a bloomin mess but who cares) and if she wants to make a mess then what's the harm .... just try eating with your eyes shut, i cant do it.

Keep well
look after you and your mum and everyone else.
TED x

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Jules,

I agree with Norman, in that it is very difficult to pinpoint specific stages with any accurate degree because AD sufferers do vary considerably. The Consultant Psychiatrist should be able to give you a reasonably accurate assessment though.

Your mother does sound at about the same stage as my mother is right now, since they seem to be exhibiting very similiar symptoms. Our CP assessed my mother recently as being in the late middle stage of the disease, but you do need to have a professional diagnosis.

Best wishes,

Jude

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I agree with Norman too, but also particularly agree with Ted, who has hit it absolutely right, in my view.

jules

Thank you to everyone who replied to my message, you have been very helpful. I have read the articles mentioned and they have been very interesting. We do not have contact with the consultant psychiatrist anymore, should we be seeing him regularly? We only have the C.P.N. calling from time to time. Ted, I have taken note of your comments about involving mum more in everything, although we do try I think we need to do more of that.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Jules,
perhaps I missed it,but is Mum on any medication?
We have an appointment about every 3 months to see our CP,when he assesses Peg before continuing with the Aricept.
We have no SW at the moment,I am told if we needed one we would get the duty SS.
The CPN calls very in frequently.
I am afraid that the "care" varies very much from area to area.
Regards
Norman

nikita

Jul 31, 2004
stages

gran has supposidly been in the later stages ao ad for a year, she is quite with it still continent most of the time able to walk feed herself etc, she is very aware of others in her home behaving odd and thinks its terrible whent they make a mess eating etc, she still knows who i am and at times knows my name, she does ask about her mum and dad a bit but for 94 is doing very well, from what ive read this does not seem like the later stage to me.

jules

Thanks Jude, Norman and Nikita for your replies. Norman, my mum was on medication for A.D. but it didn't agree with her and it was stopped. Since then we have not seen the Consultant at all. I will ask the C.P.N. next time she calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75