Direct Payments for Care

Twinmum

Oct 20, 2013
Hello,

I had a review with Dads Social worker this morning and we discussed Direct Payments where i can source carers myself as we are not happy with the carers provided by the SW.

Should I be aware of anything, i know I have to keep all receipts for Dads carers, but apart from that, is there anything else ?

Direct payments
are local Health and Social Care (HSC) Trust payments for people who have been assessed as needing help from social services, and who would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support services instead of receiving them directly from the local trust.

Thank you

AD123

Dec 4, 2012
Direct payments do not go up every year. Despite the LA reviewing the amount they pay to direct payments every year they do not always increase them. My MIL had direct payments and despite the minimum wage going up and inflation, her payments did not increase for over 3 years. The extra money had to come from my MIL in addition to the amount she already contributed.

This was the only negative. The peace of mind we had being able to choose her carers was worth the money.

Zen master

Dec 17, 2016
For me managing my mothers needs they worked well and gave me the flexibility I needed. That said I ensured that everyone was in effect self employed rather than directly employed so I didn’t have the additional paperwork to contend with or buy in that support. I still used agency also but it was one of our choosing however the hourly rate was higher but the quality was very good and responsive. The flip side is the budget didn’t stretch as far as going down the cheapest route.
I still sent regular updates to the Care managers whether they wanted them or not so when I needed a package review it was anticipated that I was asking on merit of changing circumstances. I do however work in this field so am used to working the system/playing the game dependant on how you view it! Different when it’s family though.

Make sure that you regularly consider welfare, attendance allowance entitlements as well as council tax liability so you maximise income to be used to support your family member.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951