Mum scratches her back

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
I sit behind mum & nod/shake my head as appropriate!
I have an issue that I would appreciate advice on. Mum scratches her back, and draws blood, on a daily basis. Most days the blood soaks her blouse right across her shoulders. It's not an irritation, it's a habit. Any ideas?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum used to do this on legs. I changed washing liquid to a non biological one, bought a derma care moisturising cream and an anti scratch cream from Boots the chemist. I cut her nails really short and treated the scratched area. The anti scratch cream was really good, worked the same way as camomile lotion, which I could not get hold of.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
My mum complains of an itchy back. I put on a lightweight moisturiser for her which keeps her happy.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It probably is a habit rather than an irritation, C has the same problem occasionally and I find some talcum powder helps to make her feel better. I hope you get a solution or if it's a phase that it passes.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
It probably is a habit rather than an irritation, C has the same problem occasionally and I find some talcum powder helps to make her feel better. I hope you get a solution or if it's a phase that it passes.

Hi Rob,
How are you & C?
I have tried creams & talc. It's a deeply engrained habit. Mum has blood all across her shoulders, every day. Do you think asking for a district nurse to dress it might be a way forward?

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Hello @jknight, I have only just come across your post, hence the late reply. My Mum occasionally had an itchy back and although nothing was visible to be causing irritation, I did find that an unscented body lotion or cream worked wonders. Even a small area of dry skin can cause itching and an allergic reaction to washing powder/fabric softener on clothing (including bra straps etc.) can do the same. Also, possible reactions to any drugs taken. If you think there is no cause and it's just a habit, perhaps the lotion will be enough to calm the area so that your Mum doesn't feel the need to scratch.

Thanks Carmar.
Mum scratches and makes her whole shoulders bleed on a daily basis. She has had cream (not confident about her application, ie i know she doesn't use, though she thinks she does)
should i talk her to her GP? She has been discharged from the memory clinic. I am dealing with everything on my own. No social service input as mum is over the financial threshhold

Tial

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Use E45 Itch Relief Cream on the affected area. It is probably partly habit but this cream stops any itch reminding her of the habit.

ChristinaG

Feb 21, 2017
Mum was doing this to her back and I took her to the doctor who prescribed a Hydromol cream which is very thick, marvellous stuff and works well as long as it is applied regularly. In her case it is dry and sensitive skin apparently. She was also put on an anti histimine for a while in case it was an allergy to washing powder or something like that. She was taken off the antihistamine after a while and she is still okay with just the cream.

Rosie7

Oct 30, 2014
Mum was doing this to her back and I took her to the doctor who prescribed a Hydromol cream which is very thick, marvellous stuff and works well as long as it is applied regularly. In her case it is dry and sensitive skin apparently. She was also put on an anti histimine for a while in case it was an allergy to washing powder or something like that. She was taken off the antihistamine after a while and she is still okay with just the am.
Hi
I was interested reading your post. Dad has had an itchy back on and off since he moved in 4 years ago. Like the others we were prescribed balms and creams which helped a bit. There wasn't evidence of a rash .It seems to come and go must be another symptom of the dementia. I'm having trouble getting him to wash at the moment which doesn't help.
:confused:

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Use E45 Itch Relief Cream on the affected area. It is probably partly habit but this cream stops any itch reminding her of the habit.
Mum lives independently still and won't let me anywhere near to put cream on (It's ok dear, I'll do it in a minute) very huffy if I try. There is blood all across the back of her blouse, every day.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Mum lives independently still and won't let me anywhere near to put cream on (It's ok dear, I'll do it in a minute) very huffy if I try. There is blood all across the back of her blouse, every day.

Ooh I know that huffy “I’ll do it later” tone so well. You know full well they won’t.

GeG-Canada

Feb 4, 2018
BC Canada
? how old is your mom ?
I ask because, possibly fancy gloves would help her to break the habit?
Getting her into the habit of putting on gloves ( like what we used to wear at easter - I'm 65 ..) might be beneficial?

Gayle

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
? how old is your mom ?
I ask because, possibly fancy gloves would help her to break the habit?
Getting her into the habit of putting on gloves ( like what we used to wear at easter - I'm 65 ..) might be beneficial?

Gayle
Thanks Gayle! I will give it a try. Mum is 87. I am 61.