The hidden cost of Alzheimers

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Hello, I'm sure many posters have experienced this. There is a hidden cost of caring for someone with this terrible illness.
Since last September we have burnt over £1200 in heating oil as my wife is always cold yet refuses to put on extra clothing.. Electricity is on the up as lights always have to be on. I have fitted the new LED bulbs where possible in an attempt to keep the bills down. Food waste is also up, and due to spillages the washing machine is doing extra duty.
Most days she demands to be taken out somewhere for coffee and a cake. and becomes quite confrontational if I don't comply. So, it all adds up and while benefits do help they wont come near to meeting the extra costs.
While I am at it I will rant on. I got my tax code recently and was reminded at nearly 80 years old my pensions were still being plundered. Oh well, I can hear that the washing machine has finished and I need to get the clothes on the line so as not to miss the nice weather.
Bye!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If (when) incontinence rears it's head just watch electricity and water, if metered, bill shoot up, washing machine won't know what's hit it.

When you reach 80 you will receive the age addition to your state pension, it's taxable and remains at the 25p/wk as set by Edward Heath in 1971.

DaisyCat

Dec 2, 2017
Hello, I'm sure many posters have experienced this. There is a hidden cost of caring for someone with this terrible illness.
Since last September we have burnt over £1200 in heating oil as my wife is always cold yet refuses to put on extra clothing.. Electricity is on the up as lights always have to be on. I have fitted the new LED bulbs where possible in an attempt to keep the bills down. Food waste is also up, and due to spillages the washing machine is doing extra duty.
Most days she demands to be taken out somewhere for coffee and a cake. and becomes quite confrontational if I don't comply. So, it all adds up and while benefits do help they wont come near to meeting the extra costs.
While I am at it I will rant on. I got my tax code recently and was reminded at nearly 80 years old my pensions were still being plundered. Oh well, I can hear that the washing machine has finished and I need to get the clothes on the line so as not to miss the nice weather.
Bye!
Hi John,
My OH is the same, walks around the house in a short-sleeved polo top and complains about the cold, hence our heating has been on constantly. It doesn't help that I'm constantly hot.
He complains if he has to wear a cardigan. We have the same with food waste too, he's started to throw away the meals I make!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Have you checked that you are eligible for the Warm Home Discount with your energy provider? Have you talked to your water supplier about their discount schemes? I was on WaterSure Plus which gave us 50% off all water costs. It's also good to get yourself on the priority register with them as then they have to for example provide you with bottled water if there is an accidental disconnect in your area. If you have medication that needs to be in the fridge, let your utility supplier know. I know it's not a lot but it might help.

Last edited:

DaisyCat

Dec 2, 2017
Have you checked that you are eligible for the Warm Home Discount with your energy provider? Have you talked to your water supplier about their discount schemes? I was on WaterSure Plus which gave us 50% off all water costs. It's also good to get yourself on the priority register with them as then they have to for example provide you with bottled water if there is a accidental disconnect in your area. If you have medication that needs to be in the fridge, let your utility supplier know. I know it's not a lot but it might help.
Thanks, will check that out!

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
If (when) incontinence rears it's head just watch electricity and water, if metered, bill shoot up, washing machine won't know what's hit it.

When you reach 80 you will receive the age addition to your state pension, it's taxable and remains at the 25p/wk as set by Edward Heath in 1971.
Can't wait for that if I am still around.

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Have you checked that you are eligible for the Warm Home Discount with your energy provider? Have you talked to your water supplier about their discount schemes? I was on WaterSure Plus which gave us 50% off all water costs. It's also good to get yourself on the priority register with them as then they have to for example provide you with bottled water if there is an accidental disconnect in your area. If you have medication that needs to be in the fridge, let your utility supplier know. I know it's not a lot but it might help.
Thanks for that.Heating is oil fired so you just have to pay the going rate for heating oil, so no oil no heat. Has happened. Now, here in N Ireland you don't pay up front for water yet, it is a component of your Council Tax ( £1200 for a 900sq feet dwelling )