What can I find to interest him now?

Bee.quilt

Dec 29, 2017
completed memoirs in record time involving lots of prompts and my addition of photos, photocopied documents etc we found and discussed. Turned out really well but finished. Now at a loss to find him another acceptable project. OH former amateur footballer, squash player and lad about town. Never an indoor person. Never a group joiner. Reluctant gardener and severe art critic. What can I do with him? He sits about sighing, blames my arty, crafty, gardening hobbies as my separate life and himself at the bottom of the list. Aaagh!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
completed memoirs in record time involving lots of prompts and my addition of photos, photocopied documents etc we found and discussed. Turned out really well but finished. Now at a loss to find him another acceptable project. OH former amateur footballer, squash player and lad about town. Never an indoor person. Never a group joiner. Reluctant gardener and severe art critic. What can I do with him? He sits about sighing, blames my arty, crafty, gardening hobbies as my separate life and himself at the bottom of the list. Aaagh!
um, is there any mileage in the football hobby? Football album??? I do know about finishing things in record time. My OH got through about 1000 puffin postcards colouring in a few weeks ... it seems to be about completion not process ... all sympathy!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband used to go to walking football. I don't know if there is any of that in your area or indeed if it is something that would appeal to your husband. The men who went all seemed to really enjoy it.

He also went to Football Memories. I know this is a Scottish Initiative which exists in co-operation with Alzheimers Scotland. I don't know if anything like this exists in England but I know the men who go to the these sessions have a great time - http://www.footballmemories.org.uk

It might be worth a google to see if anything like that exists near you.

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
How about getting a small snooker table or dart board? You might also consider an early model of the Nintendo Wii which comes with tennis and boxing games that you work by waving the controller around. Perhaps friends or family have an old one you could borrow.

Bee.quilt

Dec 29, 2017
Wow all brilliant suggestions thank you. Will work my way through them and hope to score a goal.

Rosie7

Oct 30, 2014
Wow all brilliant suggestions thank you. Will work my way through them and hope to score a goal.
Hi
Will he help with the housework at all. Dad is very good at doing the washing up. We have a dishwasher but he likes to hand wash and it keeps him occupied. He will also hang the washing out and help me fold sheets . We also go out shopping a lot I no longer do one big shop as its entertainment for him.
I also do jigsaw puzzles with him. I recently bought a 500 larger piece puzzle which was good. He's still good at scrabble and i have a lady twice a week who has a couple of games with him.I have to accept the fact he remembers none of this so will look board shortly after any activity but its good for him and me at the time.
He goes to a day centre once a week which I'm not sure if he enjoys or not but its different company for him.
Best wishes. Rosie 7

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan