when is it time for a dementia sufferer to go into care?

ald

May 5, 2008
bristol
moving on

further to my dad being sectioned for assessment he was retained under a section 2 - he has now been in a secure psychiatric unit for nearly 2 months (what a grim and desperate place it is for an outsider and yet he has seemed mostly, and thankfully, quite oblivious) and this week we learnt that they believe he is finally 'stable' enough, due to medication, and we can entertain looking at the limited options available to us in our area for dementia care homes that can cope with his particular needs. I've known since he was admitted that he wouldn't be able to 'go home' but it doesn't make it any easier when it actually comes to it... having to sort out his flat and his life time's accumulated possessions has felt really desperate . . . it's been really hard reconciling that what has huge poignancy for us actually has no meaning for him. The home deemed to be most appropiate for his needs is okay, but it smells of wee and there is no getting over the fact that it is a sad place in which to pass your final years - so I feel wracked with guilt yet also totally aware that there is no way, with a young family, that we could look after him 24/7 .... I feel really, really sad for him that it's come to this . . . .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello ald

.. I feel really, really sad for him that it's come to this . . . .

The whole business of dementia is really really sad. When we see the ones we care for losing everything we value, dignity, self respect, awareness, skills, we mourn such a cruel end to a worthy life.

Love xx