Support group for LGBT+ carers

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
The Proud Carers was set up in order to provide LGBTQI carers of people with dementia with an opportunity to meet with people who are going through the same challenges. They are members of the same community, possibly of the same age bracket, and people who understand each other's challenges to the full.

They aim to provide participants of this peer support group with a safe space to explore their feelings, thoughts, and sometimes pain. This will be a non-judgemental environment, hosted by a facilitator at the Albany Trust, a charity that championed LGBT rights, freedom and mental welfare from its foundation in the late 1950s.

This is a voluntary service, free of charge, that aims to champion all members of our community, particularly in an age when the mature tend to be forgotten.

If you would like to join them, please contact Aviv Teller on avivtelleralbany@gmail.com or call 07950 289612 for more details.

Their first meeting will be on Sunday, the 4 March from 1-2.30pm, looking at meeting monthly to start with.

The address is The Albany Trust, 239A Balham High Rd, London SW17 7BE

TheProudCarers

Jan 6, 2018
Hello all,
Just a reminder: we are meeting tomorrow at 1 PM at the The Albany Trust, 239A Balham High Rd, London SW17 7BE.

Ko Ko

Aug 26, 2012
Hello Harriet
It is so good to see that you have been involved with starting this group in London. I live in Birmingham and I have a partner at the age of 46 with Rare Dementia it would be so nice to have a group in Birmingham were you could meet up and chat to people who are going through the same thing. Dementia is an awful illness that affects both the person who has it and the person who looks after them. I wish you well with the group.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks for your kind words @Ko Ko but I can't take any credit! I posted on behalf of the Proud Carers group to make people aware that it exists :)

I'm sorry to hear about your partner. We have an online directory where you can find support near you in Birmingham here. You can also give our helpline a call on 0300 222 1122 (9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm at weekends).

In the meantime, please do keep posting on TP. You'll find plenty of support and understanding here.

TheProudCarers

Jan 6, 2018
Hello all,

Just a reminder: we are meeting this Sunday, 15 April at 10 AM at the The Albany Trust, 239A Balham High Rd, London SW17 7BE.

See you there! :)

TheProudCarers

Jan 6, 2018
Hello!

We are back from our summer break and just wanted to remind you all that we are meeting again on Sunday, 23 September, 10 am at the Albany Trust 239A Balham High Rd, London SW17 7BE.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

TheProudCarers

Jan 6, 2018
Hello all!

Our next meeting will be on Saturday, 20 July at 1200 at the Albany Trust. Please spread the word and see you there!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124