How much time left ?

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
My mum, who has just turned 86 has alzheimers, but the worst it seems to be is her short term memory at present. Just over three weeks ago the staff at the care home went to check on her in the morning, they found it difficult to rouse her, they called the ambulance. It was thought that she had a bad chest infection, which she did, but it was thought she also had a stroke. They did a scan,it didnt show a bleed on the brain. My mum was transferred to the stroke ward where she was nil by mouth after a speech therapist said she was having trouble swallowing. They first of all started her on a drip to keep her hydrated, also gave her intravenous antibiotics to treat the chest infection. My mum wasnt showing much signs of improvement, so they decided to start trying to get some nutrition in her through a feeding tude,fed through the nose. She kept pulling this out. They then tried the feeding tube again using a bridle, but again pulling the tube out. The stroke ward decided there was no more they could do for my mum, and transferred her to a community hospital where it was hoped her eating might improve, the dr's decided there would be no further interventions. My mum has been in the community hosp for around 4 days now, she is only accepting a few sips of juice or water, sometimes refusing altogether. Ive been keeping an eye on her food intake which is extremely poor. Sometimes she will refuse food, and if she does take any food, either at breakfast, dinner or teatime, she rarely takes anymore than around 3 teaspoons at any one time. Her food is textured,stage 2. Once in a while my mum can get a few words out clearly when trying to talk to me, but mostly her words are mumbled. How much longer can she continue like this ? I dont want to lose my mum, but i have agreed with the dr's not to resusitate if the worst was to happen, i spoke with my mum many times over the past year or two where she stated if anything was to happen to her, and if she was going to be unable to have a good quality of life, she would rather not be here. I visit her every single day, 2-3 times a day, and it hurts to see her in her current condition.

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
my hubby was in care for 2years and like you I was always there,but as he got worse he didnt eat or drink,I would take jellies custards any thing I thought he might like,but it was hard work to get food or drink into him, I to had a D N R put in place as towards the end I could not see him suffer like he was with chest infections and a broken hip he didnt last only about 2 weeks,and he didnt talk ,but a few days before he passed away ,he said could he come home to be with me.After every thing was settled I have his ashes home with me where he wanted to be,It will be hard for you ,but you will find the strength to carry on

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
It's so painful to watch when someone you love is not really eating or drinking and many of us have sadly experienced this. The question you ask - how much longer? - doesn't really have an answer. It depends on so many different factors.

If people are not getting any liquids at all then it can be a week to 10 days, but if there is still a little bit of food and drink then it could sustain a person for some time. The most important thing is to see that she is comfortable and pain-free.

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
Thanks Marmarlade, some days when i see my mum i think she seems a little better, next time much much worse. I just dont know what to think or expect at the moment. The way she seemed last night, i thought to myself that she would not be here by the end of the coming week. The dr at the community hosp said the other day that my mum could not return to the care home as she nows requires nursing, the hosp are planning to apply for cch funding. I have an appointment with the consultant tomorrow at 10am, i hope they can give me an idea as to what to expect. Been to the hosp today, again checked her food intake, and this morning she refused breakfast

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
It's so painful to watch when someone you love is not really eating or drinking and many of us have sadly experienced this. The question you ask - how much longer? - doesn't really have an answer. It depends on so many different factors.

If people are not getting any liquids at all then it can be a week to 10 days, but if there is still a little bit of food and drink then it could sustain a person for some time. The most important thing is to see that she is comfortable and pain-free.
Thanks. My mum does seem comfortable and showing no signs of pain at this time.