Going on alone

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
This was the thyroid biopsy today, hopefully the last of the tests. The operation is still scheduled for the 20th with the pre-op interviews on the 15th. Either my daughter or daughter in law will take me down to Sydney for them. Looks I should only be in hospital for a few days as the rest of the convalescence is handled by home nursing. The thyroid biopsy was painful but I drove myself there and back. It is the reassurance I miss more than anything now. And the company of course.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Rather a long gap since the last update. I had the operation on the lymph nodes, it is called a dissection and I did feel like the frog we all cut up in high school. Five days in hospital and now it is a week since my operation. My daughter stayed for a couple of days which was very helpful. She went home after lunch today. I have drains and bags for another four weeks. Not what I want but that is part of the treatment. Thankfully Community nurses will come and check on me as no driving until the drains are out. Must say I feel like a mess so grateful that the doctors said no exercise, no housework and minimal movement to allow healing to take place. Will try to rest up as much as I can.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It's good to hear from you. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself and heed the advice.

grouse

Nov 11, 2013
Another poster wishing you a speedy recovery Sue. That's an awful lot to face alone. I really feel for you and hope your children keep in touch. Let them know how you feel, dont be brave all the time.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
images.jpeg
Get well soon Sue @sunray

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I have been thinking about you Sue, and wondering how you are - thanks for the update. Do take care, and I hope the time does not drag too much for you. Also that your daughter manages another stay with you, it lifts your spirits even if a short visit.

Get well soon but take it easy.

Love
Loo xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Get well soon. It's a nuisance not being able to do much or go out - or it will be, as you start to feel better! Hope you have lots to keep you occupied, without moving around too much!

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Just home from hospital after a week's stay. An infectious bug in the wound. I just hate all the fuss that is involved in a hospital stay. Hopefully now I am heading back to wellness. I still have another two weeks to go with the drains in my legs but some of the other areas are slowly healing.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Sue, I have been catching up with your thread and am so sorry to read of your health problems and recent operations. It’s a lot to face on your own. I do hope this latest one will be the last for a very long time.
Yes, it’s at times like this and especially at night that our ‘aloneness’ strikes isn’t it. Nobody there to reassure us and give us a hug. Nobody to calm the panic at 2am!
I hope that your health is soon back on an even keel and you can get back to your holidays and return to your usual activities. It will no doubt take time but you will get there.
Sending best wishes for a speedy and full recovery and happy days ahead for you. x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Sorry Sue to hear about the infection which kept you in hospital longer than expected. It will be a good feeling to be back home again and I hope the next two weeks with the drains in pass quickly. Once they are out you'll have more freedom and that will be another lift in spirits.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery and thinking of you.

Love
Loo xxx

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Thanks for your understanding and reassurance. I do falter in my optimism from time to time, hey I am human. But with support I am able to bounce back sooner. My daughter is so supportive but she has so much to do I don't want to overwhelm her with my problems.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Another half day in hospital, another procedure, I asked the community nurse if what I am going through is normal. She answered that there is no such thing as normal in her opinion. I guess I am back to one day at a time and hopefully things keep getting better.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Hi Sunray fingers crossed for you. Best wishes from sunny Perth where it is too hot today. Sending positive, comforting thoughts and LOTS of luck. Carolyn XXX

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Sue,

I hope things do keep getting better, and wise of you to take one day at a time. It is enough to cope
with when life is difficult, rather than using up too much strength anticipating what might or might not be. Take care of yourself, rest.

Thinking of you and wishing you the very best.
Love
Loo xxx

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Another procedure to go through next week, this will be the third time this particular drain has been replaced. I am also getting the tests and scan lists for the next four monthly check up in July! My clinic is certainly well organized. Love that about them. The problem is it is mostly in Sydney, two hours drive away. I am afraid I am becoming a nuisance to my daughter now. It will be better once I am strong enough to travel by public transport, that will give me some independence.

Happy Easter everyone, make the most of your free time. I hope the weather is conducive to conviviality. I am lactose intolerant so no chocolate for me. I will enjoy fruit salad and lactose free ice cream instead. We all have our indulgences.♥

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Another procedure to go through next week, this will be the third time this particular drain has been replaced. I am also getting the tests and scan lists for the next four monthly check up in July! My clinic is certainly well organized. Love that about them. The problem is it is mostly in Sydney, two hours drive away. I am afraid I am becoming a nuisance to my daughter now. It will be better once I am strong enough to travel by public transport, that will give me some independence.

Happy Easter everyone, make the most of your free time. I hope the weather is conducive to conviviality. I am lactose intolerant so no chocolate for me. I will enjoy fruit salad and lactose free ice cream instead. We all have our indulgences.♥
Happy Easter to you, too! May yours be peaceful and healing. If it’s any comfort, you are sounding better in yourself. The stresses must be awful especially with the long journey but thank goodness you are happy with the clinic and they are so well organised. Bother those drains! May this one prove a winner. Bye for now, Carolyn xxx