lasting power of attorney

johnrich

Apr 11, 2018
I just wondering how would you raise the issue of lasting power of attorney? My mum is quite elderly and her memory and general health is deteriorating (we're waiting for a formal diagnosis). Lasting power of attorney would enable us to buy the services she needs - shes not eligible for direct payments etc. Any advice on how bring this up with her would be appreciated.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hello Johnrich and welcome to Talking Point.

It was a decade ago when I had this conversation with my own mum so I don't remember much about it, and I thought she would be resistant to having help with her finances. Actually she wasn't resistant at all, she understood that she was making mistakes such as leaving £100s on the counter at the bank.

I think if you gently say perhaps it would be a good idea if I could start helping you look after things and there is a way to do that...it's always best to get it done as soon as you can whilst she is still deemed to have capacity to make this kind of decision.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Tell her the government says it's a good thing to do, it lets a chosen person look after your affairs if you have an accident., eg run over by a bus, and can't do it yourself.
To further convince her grant LPAs yourself- you might get run over by a bus!

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
My Mum was visited regularly by a CPN before her dementia diagnosis and she advised it. I am sure had I raised it with Mum she would have agreed anyway but having someone professional advise it added extra weight to the proposal and Mum readily agreed.

It was done not a moment too soon because shortly afterward Mum got ill and I was having to access the money to ensure her bills were being paid whilst in hospital and to get her money out as she was unable to get to the bank. It will make things a lot easier for you and your Mum when she is unable to manage her money or make decisions about her welfare.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Agree with Nitram, the run under a bus scenario/sudden incapacity is a good one, as it doesn't need to address the fact she is losing her memory, which is an emotionally sensitive thing to raise. Point out that if she doesn't do it and ends up in hospital no one can pay her bills, get cash for her etc.

Whether to describe it as helping her depends on her personailty - my mother couldn't abide the idea of someone else looking after her finances. Or another way, if she loves you dearly, is to explain how hard it would be for you and she would be doing you a favour if she would help you out by doing it and otherwise you could end up having to go to the Court of Protection - lots of hassle for you and takes chunks out of her money.

I would also say that you can get the forms, and fill them in, if necessary, all she needs to do is have a long-standing friend or neighbour to act as the personal reference thingummy and witness to signatures. Showing her the forms in my opinion makes it less daunting and doing it yourself feels less formal than involving a solicitor in my opinion and is cheaper. Also agree that doing it yourself, with her, seems a good way to encourage her.

With my own mother I am afraid it was very much a last minute thing which an Admiral nurse very correctly pointed out needed doing as soon as possible. good luck with it, it is such a good thing to have.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I made it a joint thing. John had not been diagnosed but I was having suspicions so I suggested that rather than have lawyers and officials taking over our affairs we should both nominate our daughters to step in if we became incapacitated. In fact I am an attorney for him with one daughter and two daughters are my attorneys. He was happy with this arrangement and it was all in place and registered by the time he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I just wondering how would you raise the issue of lasting power of attorney? My mum is quite elderly and her memory and general health is deteriorating (we're waiting for a formal diagnosis). Lasting power of attorney would enable us to buy the services she needs - shes not eligible for direct payments etc. Any advice on how bring this up with her would be appreciated.

With my MIL who is 92 with mixed dementia, I just knew that she would have refused to entertain the idea of POA. She had mental health problems over many years before the dementia diagnosis and paranoia and lack of trust were always big issues for her. She also didn't want to be seen as different to anyone else. With this in mind this is how we managed to get her to sign.

She got on well with a neighbour so I primed this neighbour with what we were intending to do and she agreed to be certificate provider. She would drop in to my MIL once a week and just drop into the conversation that she was asking her own children to be attorney. She therefore gave the impression that the poa was a normal event in life. This took several weeks. Eventually MIL agreed to sign the papers once my husband raised the issue. We already had the forms filled in with the basics beforehand. She told us the reason she signed them was she trusted the neighbour and thought she wouldn't lie to her. And of course by signing in her eyes she was no different to anyone else. If we had tried using professionals she would never have agreed.

johnrich

Apr 11, 2018
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I fear it's too late to go down the POA route now as mum is in hospital (after 18 hours in A&E) and is now very confused is having problems communicating.