Wheelchair

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Dad's CPN has suggested we get a wheelchair so we can take dad out more. It's getting difficult now as he can only walk a few yards before he's exhausted. I was looking at the big wheeled ones until my daughter reminded me that her gran used to put her fingers in the spokes while she was being pushed around. So should I go for a smaller wheeled chair? I'm worried about how well these perform on gravel paths and the like if we want to take dad to National Trust places and local parks.

It would also have to fit in the boot of a 51 plate Vauxhall Corsa which has a smaller boot than the newer ones. I can just get his rollator in.

Anyone had any experience of pushing wheelchairs?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Dad's CPN has suggested we get a wheelchair so we can take dad out more. It's getting difficult now as he can only walk a few yards before he's exhausted. I was looking at the big wheeled ones until my daughter reminded me that her gran used to put her fingers in the spokes while she was being pushed around. So should I go for a smaller wheeled chair? I'm worried about how well these perform on gravel paths and the like if we want to take dad to National Trust places and local parks.

It would also have to fit in the boot of a 51 plate Vauxhall Corsa which has a smaller boot than the newer ones. I can just get his rollator in.

Anyone had any experience of pushing wheelchairs?
I got the smaller wheeled one and the man who delivered it said I should have asked for the big wheeled one as it was easier to push. They changed it for me and it was slightly easier. I still find it hard work so am being told I should buy a power pack to give it some oomph.

I am trying to keep my husband mobile for as long as I can but his walking distance is now about 10-15 minutes.

Reman

Jan 21, 2018
I use a small wheeled chair as my OH can't walk and I need to use it in the house, although difficult to move ( you should see my chipped paintwork), and it's heavy to put in the car, it is more compacted and I have got it in a Corsa.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
The large rear wheeled ones are really intended for those who can propel themselves using the wheel. The small rear wheeled ones tend to have "fatter" wheels so they should be less likely to sink on soft ground I would have thought, and they are also easier to get into a small car. If you have a local Red Cross medical loans office you can borrow a wheelchair for up to 3 months to see how you get on. They also sometimes have refurbished ones for sale cheaply. When my niece was in a wheelchair, we also discovered that some (limited) seaside places have beach wheelchairs for loan which have ball-type wheels so they don't sink into the sand which meant we could get her right down to the sea. Can't remember how we found those places but try a google for disabled accessibility.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Mum has a Days wheelchair with slightly bigger back wheels (29cm) which is easy to manoeuvre. We do pick our surfaces carefully though as it can come to a grinding halt on some surfaces and she has been almost thrown out a few times (won’t wear safety belt). Uneven pavements can also be a hazard. We find it really handy and it fits in back of small hatchback. We got it from a local shop so could try the fit before buying. I would strongly recommend getting a bag that goes on the back, it is lovely and capacious so I can fit loads in it and it saves taking a handbag which just gets in the way.

From other threads I believe you can borrow wheelchairs through OT but I wasn’t aware of this when we got mums and there were no local second hand ones. Most garden centres, NT places etc have wheelchairs you can borrow during your visit.

At first, Mum was a bit anti chair at times but doesn’t bat an eyelid now.

Jojo4444

Oct 27, 2017
I got a light folding one for taking mum out but a word of warning, my mum can still walk with a wheeled walker but it is dangerous to allow her with the wheelchair as it would tip up if she put her weight on it and used as a walker.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
A lot depends upon the size of the person in the wheelchair. My father was a heavy man, and i found big wheels lowered the centre of gravity, especially when it came to curbs and alike.

The wheels very easily removed on ours without any fuss or effort at all. Also made it lighter to lift into car

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Dad is quite heavy, about 12.5 stone and only 5'6" tall. I'm taller than him but have hypermobile joints so have to be careful about how much strain/ twisting I put on them as I dislocate parts of me (especially knees - ouch!!) quite easily. So I need an aluminium chair as steel so heavy.

I was wondering about the ones with slightly bigger back wheels @Rolypoly . What a worry about the seat belt .I suspect my dad will be the same. My daughter, as a toddler, was very determined and used to undo her buggy belt when I wasn't looking - until she fell out one day!! :eek: That stopped her :rolleyes:

I think I'll ask dad's OT for advice. Dad's can walk for less than 5 mins now then he's exhausted so I really need to sort something out for summer. Might see if local Red Cross can lend us one to try out.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I borrowed one from the Red Cross too. It was a small wheeled one, but I found it quite easy to push. Gravel can be a problem, but I think that it is with the large wheeled ones too. I found it easier on these sort of surfaces if you pulled it backwards!

It also folded up quite well and easily got into the boot of my Focus.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I found it easier on these sort of surfaces if you pulled it backwards!

I found this as well @canary. I must admit we have found it such a good buy as we would not be able to take mum out for long without it. We have since acquired a 4wheel rollator which I get her to use if I know distances are going to be short with plenty of rest stops. It gives her that bit more freedom though me less control over where she’s poking about :rolleyes:.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I borrowed one from the Red Cross too. It was a small wheeled one, but I found it quite easy to push. Gravel can be a problem, but I think that it is with the large wheeled ones too. I found it easier on these sort of surfaces if you pulled it backwards!

It also folded up quite well and easily got into the boot of my Focus.[/QUOTE

Sister has a focus. The boot is bigger than mine... But she won't take him out anymore :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sure mums wheelchair would have fitted into a smaller boot than mine too.
If you can borrow a wheelchair its one of the things that you can check up on.